Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **12/22/15**

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/15 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

I have always wondered why they never made a full size Kyle battery. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/16 PUTTY & SANDING **Pics**

I've been spot puttying and sanding now. Most of the pieces are finished. Now I need to primer them and do finishing sanding work. I also worked on the convex lense on the backside. I also started work (no pics yet) of the handle. Here's a few more shots from todays progress:
glkr29.jpg

glkr30.jpg

glkr31.jpg

glkr32.jpg

glkr33.jpg

glkr34.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/16 PUTTY & SANDING **Pics**

Oy, these handles are going to be tricky. It's not like I can make one and just reverse it. So I'm gonna to a sort of rib and spine kind of technique. Which means more acrylic laser cutting. Alot of work but in the end I think it will be worth it.

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 12/21 **TO LIGHT OR NOT**

Building this as a one off would be easy, but do I want to build, mold and cast this as a light up piece? I'm not sure.

That is looking Amazing!! and with all the work your putting into it, You have to make it light up!!

If I do, I have to remake the back end and base piece if I'm gonna do it right. Damn!

Ok, I've decided I'm gonna make this light up. Unfortunately that means I have to get these two parts recut. Not a big deal. It's only going to set things back a few days. But when I go to mold and cast these I can install the lenses for the lights and electronics much easier. I've also decided to just do an on/off switch with bright LED lighting.
glkr35.jpg

glkr36.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 12/24 **YES TO LIGHTING**

Wow, man that is a heck of a project build you have going there. Nice work so far.
mike

Glad you decided to make it light up!! Look forward to see the end result!!

Awesome. I found a great, already put together LED lighting I can canibalize and modify for the lighting in this. Oh, it is gonna be sweet!

I was thinking one of these would work good with little work-

Domed-Touch-Light.jpg

Nick

Cute but not practical for this. I'll post something later.

Okeyday. After a few hours of redrawing plans I finally got the new recut files off to get laser cut. I'm sure they'll come in next week. I found an awesome light source with triple LEDs in them. Very bright. Not only that but with a little modification I'll have a switch that's perfect for this. Woohoo!!!

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 1/7 **TEASER PIC**

Ok, the new adjusted parts have been laser cut and I should get them this week. In the meantime I thought you guys would like a teaser pic:
glkr37.jpg

glkr38.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 1/11 **NEW PARTS ARE IN**

The new parts came in today. WHOOHOO!!!
So after I did an inventory:
glkr39.jpg

I started to dry fit the new base parts that will also hold the electronics for the lantern. Here are a few shots of the battery/electronic housing assembly:
glkr40.jpg

glkr41.jpg

glkr42.jpg

That funky cut in the middle is where the switch will go:
glkr43.jpg

glkr44.jpg

The button protrudes out just enough so it can be switched on and off easily:
glkr45.jpg

glkr46.jpg

That assembly will the slip into the base opening as one unit where it can be screwed to the insert:
glkr47.jpg

glkr48.jpg

And of course I designed it so the battery door is the only thing you’ll have to take off in order to change the batteries:
glkr49.jpg

This is the “inside” of the base:
glkr50.jpg

glkr51.jpg

I’m so jazzed these cam in today. I can’t wait to get assembling these. I still have the back-end to redo and the handle. Oy, the handle is going to be the trickiest thing, but I came up with a spine/rib assembly I think will make it not only easier to build but symmetrical on both sides. Now I need to talk to my machine shop and see if they can make me some curved bars exactly the same each time. I’m going to cast metal handles into the lantern so it won’t break when someone picks it up. I’ll show how I’m doing that when I get to it. That reminds me…I’ve got to order some molding silicone and casting resin.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's amazing, the detail in the thought behind all the details.. All I can say is wow. Very nice work, can't wait to the final product.... :)

Oh boy, that handle is gonna be tricky! Can't wait to see it come together.

Nick

WOW! Very well planned out. I can't wait to see this finished and lit up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back