Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **12/22/15**

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Luuke, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Luuke

Luuke Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Update 12/22/15: Time goes by waaaaaaaaaay too quickly. I've been so wrapped up in so many other things, however, I've been looking at getting back into this project. It's been sitting quietly and patiently on the shelf. But now that I've got access to a more reliable shop. I can start to get back into this. My original intention is to have the handles machined in aluminum so it would give the handle/grip area more appropriate strength. I'll be sending those over to the shop for an estimate soon. If I can get a decent price from them, then I'll start firing this project back up.

Update 4/21/2013: Hey all. I know it's been a while since I've updated anything on this project. I've had a ton of things going on including my new podcast. But I'm now back on track and moving forward.

Last year I purchased a Mini Kyle Rayner Battery prop:
    [​IMG]

Well I have the other batteries and they are all 1:1 except the Rayner battery. I thought this was kida odd they didn't make a 1:1 battery.
    [​IMG]

So now I want to do a 1:1 scale version of the Rayner battery. I need to decide just how much bigger I'm going to scale it up. I thought it would be best to do a photoshop comparrision first. So up above is the mini battery next to the Scott and Jordan. Below, I scaled the Rayner battery to what looks good to me.

[​IMG]

I took the mini battery and created a scale drawing of it and then scaled it to about the size of the one in the photoshopped image using the other batteries as reference and scaled it up about 135%.
    [​IMG]

Starting tomorrow I'm going to start building the full sized 1:1 replica of this battery. I'm gonna get some stuff laser cut in acrylic and alot of this will have to be done by hand. Ultimately I want to then take a mold and do a hollow cast so I can install lights. I'll probably cast a metal base in the handle for stregnth.

I'll see if I can get some video going on this and post it up on youtube.

:thumbsup

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. TheValeyard

TheValeyard New Member

Re: 1:1 Scale Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Battery Project

Always was a fan of the strangely-shaped Rayner lantern, so I'll be keeping an eye on this project! Looks like it's off to a great start!

3. Luuke

Thanks for the support. I'm working on the acrylic patterns today. I'm also trying to decide the best way to to the metal handle. I was thinking of making it out of an acrylic rod and casting it in metal. Then put that into the mold and cast it directly in the body of the prop.

4. Luuke

I'm still working on the laser cut files. I'm designing the pieces so they will interlock taking the guesswork out of lining things up. A little bit of extra time will go a long long way.

5. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

I cannot wait to see this come to life. So excited.

6. Luuke

The laser cut files are done and sent off to get cut. I usually get stuff in a week or less and I'll start assembly and fabrication.

7. Luuke

Laser cut acrylic pices have been ordered.

8. Luuke

Re: 1:1 Scale Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Battery Project (Update 12/5)

I got some of the laser cut pieces today. A couple of them are missing but should be on their way soon. Then I'm going to start assembling and finishing work.
    [​IMG]

9. Luuke

Re: 1:1 Scale Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Battery Project (Update 12/8 Part Pics Posted

Ok, got the replacement and missing parts in today. YAY!!!!
    I've just temporarily assembled them to show how this is shaping up. What do ya think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/10 Foam Filling - Pics Posted

Ok, yesterday I did my foam filling. The goal here is to take up the majority of the space so when I cover the exposed areas I'm not using a ton of bondo.

First I took down the edge of the undercut so I could get as straight of a line as possible with everything that has a cone shape:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I started acrylic welding everything together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used standard floral foam from Michaels. Just trace cut and shape:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then using a smaller putty knife I trimmed at least a 1/4" from all the edges and surfaces for where the bondo will fill in.
    [​IMG]

11. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/12 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

Well right now it's all about bondo, bondo and more bondo. This is probably going to take two or three more days because it's best to do this in small batches. Here's a sample of what I have so far:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/12 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

I really, really, really hate to say this but I think it is tad bit too small.

13. Luuke

I thought the same thing too at first. It only seems like that when you don't see it with the handle attached. Once the handle is on it, it will look much bigger.

Here's more smoothing out the bondo layers:
    [​IMG]

14. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

Looks pretty sick so far man.

15. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy cow, and I thought I was using a lot of that foam.
    What did you use on the bondo? I can see the long tool marks. Some sort of saw?

16. Luuke

Actually I used a wide scraper to shape the sides with bondo. The bondo surface is still rough. I still have yet to sand and touch up with spot putty. it will be totally smooth when I get done with it.

I might stop by my machine shop today and talk about getting the handle inserts made from aluminum or steel rod.

17. locusta

locusta New Member

Great work already. Love the original lamp design allot. A childhood reminder. Thumbs up

18. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looking good.

I love how nice and tight laser cut plastic parts look.

Nick

19. Tremas

Tremas Sr Member

Never really a fan of Kyle's battery, but you do it proud! :)

20. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/15 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

Thanks guys. Laser cutting acrylic is very nice to work with. Especially if you plan ahead and have parts cut so they interlock. That way everything stays nice and square. Takes the guess work out of it.

Here's a few more pics on progress. The base is basically done. It's all shaped up and I need to hit it with some primer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some shots of the backside. The inside of this piece is conical shaped, so I bondo-filled it and there is a layer of spot putty I have yet to sand smooth:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MORE TO COME!

:)

21. timelordjedi777

timelordjedi777 Well-Known Member

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/15 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

I have always wondered why they never made a full size Kyle battery. I can't wait to see it when it's done.

22. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/16 PUTTY & SANDING **Pics**

I've been spot puttying and sanding now. Most of the pieces are finished. Now I need to primer them and do finishing sanding work. I also worked on the convex lense on the backside. I also started work (no pics yet) of the handle. Here's a few more shots from todays progress:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/16 PUTTY & SANDING **Pics**

Oy, these handles are going to be tricky. It's not like I can make one and just reverse it. So I'm gonna to a sort of rib and spine kind of technique. Which means more acrylic laser cutting. Alot of work but in the end I think it will be worth it.

24. eko2184

eko2184 Member

Awesome work

25. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 12/21 **TO LIGHT OR NOT**

Building this as a one off would be easy, but do I want to build, mold and cast this as a light up piece? I'm not sure.

26. winghead

winghead Active Member

That is looking Amazing!! and with all the work your putting into it, You have to make it light up!!

27. Luuke

If I do, I have to remake the back end and base piece if I'm gonna do it right. *!

28. Luuke

Ok, I've decided I'm gonna make this light up. Unfortunately that means I have to get these two parts recut. Not a big deal. It's only going to set things back a few days. But when I go to mold and cast these I can install the lenses for the lights and electronics much easier. I've also decided to just do an on/off switch with bright LED lighting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 12/24 **YES TO LIGHTING**

Wow, man that is a heck of a project build you have going there. Nice work so far.
    mike

30. winghead

winghead Active Member

Glad you decided to make it light up!! Look forward to see the end result!!

31. Kodiakc

Kodiakc Active Member

looking great!

32. Luuke

Awesome. I found a great, already put together LED lighting I can canibalize and modify for the lighting in this. Oh, it is gonna be sweet!

33. nick daring

I was thinking one of these would work good with little work-

[​IMG]

Nick

34. Luuke

Cute but not practical for this. I'll post something later.

35. Luuke

Okeyday. After a few hours of redrawing plans I finally got the new recut files off to get laser cut. I'm sure they'll come in next week. I found an awesome light source with triple LEDs in them. Very bright. Not only that but with a little modification I'll have a switch that's perfect for this. Woohoo!!!

36. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 1/7 **TEASER PIC**

Ok, the new adjusted parts have been laser cut and I should get them this week. In the meantime I thought you guys would like a teaser pic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

37. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 1/11 **NEW PARTS ARE IN**

The new parts came in today. WHOOHOO!!!
    So after I did an inventory:
    glkr39.jpg
    I started to dry fit the new base parts that will also hold the electronics for the lantern. Here are a few shots of the battery/electronic housing assembly:
    glkr40.jpg
    glkr41.jpg
    glkr42.jpg
    That funky cut in the middle is where the switch will go:
    glkr43.jpg
    glkr44.jpg
    The button protrudes out just enough so it can be switched on and off easily:
    glkr45.jpg
    glkr46.jpg
    That assembly will the slip into the base opening as one unit where it can be screwed to the insert:
    glkr47.jpg
    glkr48.jpg
    And of course I designed it so the battery door is the only thing you’ll have to take off in order to change the batteries:
    glkr49.jpg
    This is the “inside” of the base:
    glkr50.jpg
    glkr51.jpg

I’m so jazzed these cam in today. I can’t wait to get assembling these. I still have the back-end to redo and the handle. Oy, the handle is going to be the trickiest thing, but I came up with a spine/rib assembly I think will make it not only easier to build but symmetrical on both sides. Now I need to talk to my machine shop and see if they can make me some curved bars exactly the same each time. I’m going to cast metal handles into the lantern so it won’t break when someone picks it up. I’ll show how I’m doing that when I get to it. That reminds me…I’ve got to order some molding silicone and casting resin.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  38. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

That's amazing, the detail in the thought behind all the details.. All I can say is wow. Very nice work, can't wait to the final product.... :)

39. nick daring

Oh boy, that handle is gonna be tricky! Can't wait to see it come together.

Nick

40. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

WOW! Very well planned out. I can't wait to see this finished and lit up.

41. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project 1/14 **MORE PROGRESS PICS**

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement. I've acrylic welded a few items. Here are a few progress pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. nick daring

Aproximately, how much did it cost to get all those parts laser cut, if you don't mind me asking?

I'd love to use this process on a project.

Nick

43. Luuke

Between $200-$250. So far total I have over $300 invested and after molding and casting a few hundred dollars more.

44. megazone27

megazone27 New Member

Seeing your building process is fascinating and inspiring.

45. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **1/22 Progress Pics**

Thanks Mega...

Here are some more progress pics. I really dig how the handles are coming out. The spine and rib method seems to be working quite well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

46. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **1/25 Progress Pics**

After I talked to my machine shop and showed them what I needed for my handle they realized they couldn't bend metal in the way I wanted with the tight tolorances required. So I went down to TAP and picked up some acrylic rod, picked up my heat gun and map torch and went to work. It's a good thing I bought a 6' legnth. I know I was going to learn as I went with this detail. I figured out very quickly what to do and more importantly, what NOT to do. You can see my first two tries didn't go very well but the learning curve was very fast and the third times a charm. Now I just need to sand and file some detail and I"m ready to take it to a local foundry to see about getting cast in aluminum. Looks simple enough but it did take me about an hour or so to get it right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These last two pics are showing the cut I had to make to the face where the green lense is going in and how the front plates will cover the opening edge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

47. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **1/25 Progress Pics**

Well I dropped the handle off at the foundry yesterday. I'm only having 15 cast in aluminum. They're costing a little more than I really wanna spend but it will be worth it to have metal handles in the castings. They might be ready to pick up on Friday and I can move forward with the rest of the build. I called and got costs on silicone and casting material today. Probably will order that next week.

I've also started to put plans together for a roto-casting machine since these need to be hollow. I was going the do the three ring method but then I saw an episode on How It's Made and saw a different looking rotocaster I'm going to build that I think will work much better.

Because of that, I think I'm going with either the 7 minute or 15 minutes pot life casting material (smoothcast 305 or 310). I can't wait to see how this is going too turn out.

48. Luuke

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **3/14 Back on Track**

Alrighty then. I decided going the metal casting route is not the way I'm going. I took a closer look at the mini battery and noticed the handle is more square with rounded edges than round. So I had new handles laser cut and I'm going to router the edges for a prototype. I'm then taking it to my machine shop to be reproduced in aluminum. The file is already done he just wants to see a physical representation before we get started.

I've also had jigs made so I can drill holes accurately after pieces have been cast.

I haven't started building the rotocasting machine yet. I've been really busy with home projects.

Pics coming later today. But I'm back on the project.

Happy days.

49. strengthof10men

strengthof10men Active Member

i just love how clean and planed out this looks. most of the things i try do do look like an angry drunk with power tools has run around the room in the dark. lol

50. Luuke

I know what you mean. I've realized two things over the years that makes a successful project, planning and patience. It makes a world of difference. I'm hoping to have this ready to mold in a few weeks or less. Then comes the fun part, casting, assembly and finishing. I'm excited about completing this project but I have to remember to be patient and not rush it.