Graflex dimensions

Patlegrand

Hi,

I'm planning to replicate the graflex lightsaber but after many research, i didn't found any specifications of it. I just want to know if plans exists with all dimensions of the lightsaber.

Thanks!

Regards,

You will find a great deal simply by using Google Image Search for "lightsaber blueprint".

This template could be useful. Print out and tape around a 1.5" diameter tube.
LukeANHTemplate.gif

There are also a few threads in this forum about how to spot a Graflex replica from a real one. These have some very detailed photos of individual details. The threads are easiest to find using the search function.

Happy building!
... and remember to post a thread with photos of your build!

2 inches
top of graflex 5 and 7/8ths inches
bottom 4 and 5/8ths
the bottom and top both slide into the clamp by + or - one inch. might want to allow for that.
by that i mean your bottom and top dims are off.

Last edited:
The two pieces are joined by the clamp. Inside the square holes in the clamp are tabs bent inwards that go into locking notches in the tube pieces.
To take a Graflex apart, you pull the lever to relieve the pressure, then twist each part out of the clamp.
This does mean that there is some play - a Graflex 3-cell pushed together is two-three millimetres shorter than when pulled the most.
Mine is 26.9 cm the shortest and 27.2 cm the longest. Tube thickness is ~1.24 mm

The real Graflex tubes were brass that were nickel-plated after they had been machined. Many new lightsaber builders use sink tubes of chromed brass - but then you would get exposed brass wherever you would have cut. I use to advocate vacuum cleaner tubes that are often thin steel that has been chromed, but the drawback with them is that not all such tubes are the same diameter along the entire length.
Aluminium is a nice material - not more difficult to file or cut by hand than hardwood... (but of course it can't be chiselled or carved)

The most difficult parts might be right under the button and "glass eye". Here, the tube has been drawn out to provide flat surfaces.

Hey Darth Lars
First time post, just joined recently and been looking up custom lightsabers :). The Graflex's on eBay have been to expensive lately for me to buy so I've been planning to make my custom graflex soon following the Ant's Replica Graflex plan ( http://www.tk560.com/jegner/Graflex-replica.pdf ) but realised that the whole lightsaber is one piece of pipe that is not cut into 2 parts. I really do want to make a more accurate Graflex and have 2 parts but I'm not sure how to cut the L-shaped slits at the ends of the pipe that connects with the clamp. By any chance do you have the measurements of the slits so I could mark em down and cut them on my pipes? The pipe is a 1 inch and half diameter if that helps. Thanks.

Unless you're going to make an accurate clamp with the necessary tabs, buy a replica clamp, or a removable bottom somehow is needed to aid the function of the saber (to access batteries or it's a "reveal" type saber), I wouldn't bother with making the body in two pieces. I've mad several Graflex/Anakin ROTS style sabers and I've never bothered with two piece tube. I have one in the works now, but that's only because the bottom is made out of a vintage Everlast flashlight, and it was only long enough for that part.

My pipes have already been cut :( and I was going to make the accurate clamp. After susing out pics of the Graflex I think i figured out how the cuts are made. I think im going to just wing it lol. And I live in Australia, shippings too much of a pain:(. Only thing i'm ordering is probably the esb set from WannaWanga with the T-tracks, d-ring etc.

I hope DarthDan that you know your friend acquired a G R A F L E X 2 Cell not a 3 Cell ... a 2 Cell is much shorter and not accurate for a lightsaber prop ... though it can be with the purchase of the bottom of a 3 Cell ... sometimes sold seperately :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back