Graflex clamp help

CreechMagoo

Hello, I recently got a new graflex clamp off ebay for a pretty good price but with some mild rust damage, I like the character it added but I want to polish the rusted area back to a mild shine but I'm not sure how to approach it without potentially damaging the whole part. If anyone has any tips on how to bring some shine back to the dark rusted parts your input is much appreciated. I already removed the rust so now I'm just left with the corroded steel.
DFFDF262-0EE9-4CB4-9ED0-41D69DCC9CFB.jpeg

You could use fine steel wool (0000). Looks like there's plenty of corrosion under the chrome so some probably will still flake off
Depends on how deep is the corrosion there will be some pitting under the rust ... here's one picture to get you some idea
1680825235165.png

I'd recommend buying a different (nicer) original clamp on eBay.

Yours will never look right after trying to polish it, and it has some pretty bad rust.

There's a couple on there now for well under $200.00.

- Jim

I'd recommend buying a different (nicer) original clamp on eBay.

Yours will never look right after trying to polish it, and it has some pretty bad rust.

There's a couple on there now for well under $200.00.

- Jim
yeah I was considering it but i like the wear, it matches some of the wear on my other original parts so I just wanted to make it less prominent but keep the character it adds

I would recommend leaving it as is. The only reason it’s rusted in the first place is because it was probably left in a damp basement or a leaky attic for 70+ years.
it shouldn’t get any worse if it’s in a climate controlled area like your home.
Plus it adds character to the piece!

I second THX1138, scan eBay for a clamp in better condition. It’s not hard to find one with a little patience. Or you can always go with a replica. Just my two cents. Hope this helps and congrats on adding that piece to your saber

I would recommend leaving it as is. The only reason it’s rusted in the first place is because it was probably left in a damp basement or a leaky attic for 70+ years.
it shouldn’t get any worse if it’s in a climate controlled area like your home.
Plus it adds character to the piece!

I second THX1138, scan eBay for a clamp in better condition. It’s not hard to find one with a little patience. Or you can always go with a replica. Just my two cents. Hope this helps and congrats on adding that piece to your saber
yeah, the character it adds is growing on me, I like that its naturally weathered which makes it feel more used and in universe.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back