Grade of steel wool for rubbin' on those X-wings?

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK my 1/48 FM X-wing is nasty gloss white now so giving it a good week or two to cure up before the steel wool trick.

Anyone suggest a grade to use? Guessing in the fine range....

McMaster-Carr

^
Awesome place to order stuff by the way.

I bought a multi pack from Walmart in the paint section. I used the finest grade in the pack on my SS.

What's the steel wool trick? Are you roughing it up in preparation for paint or is it a weathering tecnique? I'm about to build the 1/48 version myself.

Robert:)

What's the steel wool trick? Are you roughing it up in preparation for paint or is it a weathering tecnique? I'm about to build the 1/48 version myself.

Robert:)

Some of the ILM X-Wings were painted flat black first, then gloss white, and then that was weathered down with steel wool or something similar to remove the gloss and let some of the black start to show through again to get that light grey look.

It is widely believed that after the final paint job was layed down, as part of the weathering, steel wool was used to cut thru the layers of paint to expose the underlying black primer. It also removed any gloss associated with the final color coats.

Edit- Doh! Too slow!

The finer the better. You can control the amount of weathering better that way. At first I used whatever I had laying around which was prob kitchen grade stuff and that almost took off all the color with one pass.

The finer the better. You can control the amount of weathering better that way. At first I used whatever I had laying around which was prob kitchen grade stuff and that almost took off all the color with one pass.

Especialy since you are working on a 1/48 scale kit, I would go with the finest you can get.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back