Gozer Temple Prop Door (Scammed or not?) ***SOLVED***

Re: Gozer Temple Prop Door (Scammed or not?)

Understood. I guess my only issue was that it came off a bit strong with even my current job being posted. Then people jumping on board bringing up the quality of Avon's door.

Well there is a honest good reason for that, recasters are known to not take much time to recast items and thus they generally are sub-quality, sloppy and less defined and full of bubbles versions of the original...

So when 'we' see a copy of something that fits the above description compared to offerings that have been made here a logical (history has shown it to be the case more times than not) deduction is that it's recast, as that seems to almost always be the case... Especially when you compound the issue with what appears to be bright white new resin and the buyer suspecting the smell of 'fresh paint' on an item the is supposed to be several years old...

But, in this case it appears that there might be two (or more molds) of this item or possibly a mold created by the studio when the item went on tour or for making promotional display or that this pull pre-dates Kerr's access to the mold he uses?

Hey, you know what? That's fair. There are a few trusted friends I have on here that know me. What I have in my house, is what I can sell...that's it. Honestly I'm not in this for the money or to make multiply runs. I don't have the time. For this one I was trying to make room and this one needed to go! I've had this mold since about 2002 including a couple of painted castings. I have no idea why it was created but it was hand given to me by Eric S who worked with Mark Stetson on numerous films. he said he got it "at BOSS".

We also used white resin by the gallons at Mattel like it was bath water, castings left and right flew out of the model shop. At lunch hour or evenings it was sometimes packed in there with "under-the-table" prop casting parties. I believe most of Latta's molds were in there at different points in time. Maybe things are different now over there, who knows.

hmmm.... I'll have to check my casting and compare it to the ones posted. I had a mold, looked well used, for awhile, but I only poured 2 castings before I sent it back.

- Jeff

GKvfx said:
Having handled the restoration of the Gozer Temple for Richard before the recent sale, and having a casting of my own, I can tell you that the piece is sculpted.

After seeing the pics added by exoray I see many points in common with Kerr's casting. And after what autoprops713 said I'm quite sure it cames from the real deal.

Very good pics anyway!

Firefoxm31 said:
as far as the gentleman on that letter...I known Dave Martis for years and he's definitly not a recaster

And I never said so, I hardly belive that a man in his position can be a recaster.
I got a so rough casting and with no reference pics I just wasn't sure if it was coming directly from the original mould as stated in the auction descripition. Maybe I choose not the most appropriate words for the title of the thread, sorry...

autoprops713 said:
We had a few ex-SPFX guys working at Mattel and molds were coming in and out of the model shop daily. Eric worked in the male action group and brought in tons of molds and castings. This was from a mold he brought in. [...] Yep, I poured that casting and in LA and still have the mold.

So the replica I won was casted by you from the original studio mould while at Mattel or you made a copy of the mould (that you still own) and I won a casting coming from it??? Sorry I'm not an expert in moulds and I got lost here...

autoprops713 said:
My friend wanted to sell this for me so I wanted to touch it up here and there and seal it with a matte clear coat. It was pretty scraped up and I would not want it sold in it's existing condition.

Well this explain the smell of fresh paint then!

autoprops713 said:
Andrea, what do you want to do? Please contact the seller, you have her email.

I'm fine with it, now I know it comes from a good source and I tracked it to its origin. Thanks Dave.

autoprops713 said:
I just checked his mybladerunner.com link....or maybe I didn't sell him the BR stuff???? Now I'm confused too.

No, I'm a different guy.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back