Good starter costumes

MegaHD01

Hello,
I am new to making costumes and was thinking about what my first project should be. if anyone has any ideas let me know! :D

What got me started was a Ghostbusters uniform, many of the pieces are purchased (patches, flight suit, radio), but you can put some real craftsmanship into some parts (proton pack, belt gizmos) its a costume with a lot of facets and no one way to do right, so you can make it yours and learn a lot.

This is going to depend on what your favorite characters are.

One of my first semi-serious costumes was Indiana Jones. The components can be very simple, and easily found off-the-rack:

Brown shoes
Brown pants
Tan shirt
Brown Leather Jacket
Brown fedora

Accessories can be added piecemeal as well:

Gas mask bag
Holster & revolver
Whip

And more expensive items can be added, or kept safely on display at home:

Grail diary
Chachapoyan idol
Headpiece to the Staff of Ra
Sankara stones
Crystal skull

And the 'off-the-rack' components can be swapped out with more accurate (and more expensive) replicas.

Other costumes can be assembled and polished over time in this fashion as well.

-MJ

I've been sewing and costuming with my mom since I was in 7th grade. (Nothing compared to what I'm doing now) I'm not sure about anyone else but it is a lot harder to finish a project that I'm not truly excited and passionate about. The more ideas and excitement the easier it is mentally. I mean I still might scrap it 3 times because I didn't love they way it was going and wanted to start over but that's ok because I didn't love it and I wanted too and I knew it could be better. You might want to start off with a few ideas let us know your skills we can help out with what might be easier. Just because you don't have a skill YET doesn't mean you can't learn. Started off JUST sewing and embroidery. I've added custom leather embossing, electrical spinning motors and LED lights and sound to my projects now. I'm getting ready to attempt real metal armor. Just know one step at a time and lots of resources are out there to help you learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree with Teresa.Find your field of interest and the skill you'd wish to learn or already (partially) master.Then select your favorite concept and go for it.
Some people multi-task between several projects and if you can,that's fine.But the quality of your costume,your focus and your enjoyment will all be better and more intense if you pick and stick with one project at the time.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back