Golden Snitch

Jennylop101

So I didn't know whether to put this in replica props or authentic props cause I'm looking for either one. So for the past few days I've been looking for an original golden snitch that was used in the movie or a replica that's similar. I'm aware of the noble collections one and the sticker kit one but I want one like the CoolFX (metal/no wings). I've also seen the snitches they sell in the wooden boxes but those have wings. So here are my questions:
Have you ever seen any authentic Harry Potter golden snitches for sale?
Do you know the company who originally made the snitches for the film?
Do you know anyone who sells good replicas of the snitch or could make one?
Have you seen any websites selling a CoolFX snitch?
Here's a link to a picture for reference as to what I'm looking for:http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=298763&d=1395013927

Thanks for all the input and help in advance!

Have you ever seen any authentic Harry Potter golden snitches for sale?
Truthfully I have never seen an actual movie prop version for sale, and personally would be very leery of someone claiming to have one for sale. Unless you really know what you're buying, it would be extremely difficult to verify authenticity. The only way I'd buy an authentic Snitch would be from off the floor at Leavesden, and I suspect it would be in the thousands of £.

Do you know the company who originally made the snitches for the film?
According to this Mugglenet Article, the Snitch was crafted (in 1999-2000) by the silversmith of the Queen of England, who apparently is no longer in that position. I suspect with a little more Google sleuthing you could probably determine who the actual individual was, but I suspect it would be rather expensive to have her/him make you one.

Do you know anyone who sells good replicas of the snitch or could make one?
Fellow RPF member Turbo Sausage developed a good Snitch, and although the plastic version I got from ShapeWays wasn't as smooth as I'd hoped, the brass and solid gold versions look pretty good. I intend to make one for myself when I get the time. IIRC - the original was crafted out of copper and gold plated. How hard can it be?

Have you seen any websites selling a CoolFX snitch?
I suspect finding one of the CoolFX Snitches would be your best bet. I would check the RPF Junkyard or eBay on a regular basis. To find an antique perfume bottle of the type used as the Verataserum Potion vial, I search eBay practically every day for about a year and a half.

Hope this helps - ATL

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want a cheaper metal option, buy the Noble version and remove the wings. You can then touch up the spots that were under the wings with gold leaf or Buff n Rub. Another member also did a small run of a handsculpted version in bronze, but those are long gone.

As far as I know, the CoolFX was only offered in raw or gilded resin. The metal versions of it are recasts done by someone else.

I saw an ebay auction for the production made opening snitch from DH, but it was rather expensive. I've made my own replica that is currently available on shapeways, I just got it in in cast brass
. IMG_8472.JPGIMG_8480-1.jpg

Yes this is actually the snitch I have decided to buy! I see that the picture shows the horcrux ring inside, does fit well? And where is the ring from? I was gonna buy the one from noble collection. Also I know you have to buy the two pieces separately is there instructions on how to do that? I'm sorry for bombarding you with all these questions but id eally like to know. Thank you!

Yes this is actually the snitch I have decided to buy! I see that the picture shows the horcrux ring inside, does fit well? And where is the ring from? I was gonna buy the one from noble collection. Also I know you have to buy the two pieces separately is there instructions on how to do that? I'm sorry for bombarding you with all these questions but id eally like to know. Thank you!

Check out my thread for more details on the snitch. One week left to place an order. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=236645

For ordering, you just need to select click on the link for the inside, choose the material you want and add to cart, then click the link for the outside that you want, choose the material and add to cart, then finish the checkout.

The noble ring does not fit I am told. Also this ring did not actually fit, but it is a $5 ring, so I'm going to squeeze the band to make it fit. I sized the gap based on this ring, and when testing with plastic it fit well, but the metal is sooo rigid that the opening is just not wide enough for the ring to fit into. :(

Last edited:
Thank you! I think I'm better off with the brass snitch, also I noticed I asked the wrong question before. Instead of knowing how to buy the two separate pieces I wanted to know if there were instructions on how to put them together. Sorry about that, also do you know how close your snitch is in size to the original?

Thank you! I think I'm better off with the brass snitch, also I noticed I asked the wrong question before. Instead of knowing how to buy the two separate pieces I wanted to know if there were instructions on how to put them together. Sorry about that, also do you know how close your snitch is in size to the original?

I have no idea what the actual size of the original was, but mine is 42mm in diameter at the largest measurement. I based the size on screenshots, other replicas, and forum concensus.

The closest thing I have to the instructions are the video from my sales thread, and the couple of pictures, it is a very tight fit to get the pieces together, but it does work.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back