Going to Cuba, any advice.Oops pls move.

Murdoch

Sr Member
So the family is going to Cuba. Sadly i have never been anywhere. Just thought i would ask if any of you fine folks would have any tips about sight seeing, places to eat. I'm looking foward to the cigars and the rum. But there is more to Cuba than that so that's why i'm asking. Thanx in advance...GM
WTH i thought that this was being posted in the off-topic. Sorry guys, Mods please relocate:facepalm...GM

Last edited:
when you landed and go to the exit of the airport. Ignore all people that try to talk to you or carry your luggage. They are trying to rip you off.
Heck they even knew my language (dutch) and were saying they were my tourguide, wich they were not. So be carefull.

When you go out, don't fall for people trying to bring you to their place for drinks, they will also rip you off or close the door on you so you're stuck there unless you pay.

Basicly ignore everyone! You'll get used to it :p

Also if you are planning to do a roadtrip, save all of your soaps from every hotel. Give this to the people running at you with plastic bags, you'll make their day.

I basicly did all of the mayor big towns and cities that were interesting, Habana, old Habana, Cardanas, santa clara, cienfuegos, trinidad and after that i spended a week in veraderos, the best and most relaxing hotel is paradisus.

There arn't any big tourist traps, when you get out of the car just wander around, sometimes the best things are hidden.
Also the pigsbay is awesome. Lots of crabs.

Also there is a croc farm somewhere in the marshes area. You can eat grilled crocodile over there! Very good.

Cuba was one of the best trips I ever made really! have fun, here are some of my pictures i took.

473753_4031802246372_1370200915_o.jpg

280265_4031802686383_17098140_o.jpg

622681_4031802926389_1833366964_o.jpg

484474_4031804086418_1556741138_n.jpg

622808_4031801086343_450931132_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thanx Rundown, that's valued info and the pics are great. We want to see Cuba before the imbargo is lifted because i expect the change will be quite different. From the cost of things to the landscape...GM

why do your photos that you 'took' in cuba look exactly like the photos on google images?:lol

?Because it was shot in cuba?? Maybe because I have a degree in graphical multimedia? And photography was a part of my course?
Is it so hard to believe that someone is able to take good pictures?

I take my cameragear everywhere I go...

You have no idea who I am, buzz off. I'm not going on about the things you "made"...

We are on a forum full of talented people...

Last edited:
Went to Cuba in 2008. Stayed just outside Guardalavaca and it was beautiful. Crystal clear water, white sand, fantastic inland scenery, amazing friendly people.

I don't know where RogueTrooper went or what he was expecting, but I never had a problem. Yes it was weird because the country has been stuck in a time freeze since 1960, but just don't go there expecting to find a travelodge or 7-eleven and you'll be fine.

Edit - I should point out that I went to the south of the country and didn't go anywhere near Havana, so the main city could be different to where I went.

Edit 2 - RogueTrooper, since you're obviously concerned about Rundown being a fraud and using images from Google, I thought i'd check for you, you know, to be on the safe side. Rest assured, none of them exist on Google images using a reverse image search. You're welcome.

Last edited:
Went to Cuba in 2008. Stayed just outside Guardalavaca and it was beautiful. Crystal clear water, white sand, fantastic inland scenery, amazing friendly people.

I don't know where RogueTrooper went or what he was expecting, but I never had a problem. Yes it was weird because the country has been stuck in a time freeze since 1960, but just don't go there expecting to find a travelodge or 7-eleven and you'll be fine.

Edit - I should point out that I went to the south of the country and didn't go anywhere near Havana, so the main city could be different to where I went.

It's totally diffrent. Very crowded.

Also, be prepared to eat the same things a few days in a row. They don't really have so mutch variation in food, lots of black beans and rice with pork. Exept for the hotels, It was a relief to have some more western food after the roadtrip that I took.
If you have the chance to dine in the hotel first, do it!
Oh, and stay away from the papayas, they taste like puke!

The mango's are huge over there though. Sometimes as big as a melon!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back