Question referring to use of PVA (Elmer's white) glue on Bandai C-3PO

Jimmer

Quite a while back I built Bandai's R2/R5 and C-3PO. While building R2/R5 I did the painting while building them as it was necessary to do so considering removing R2's dome gap, painting all the small silver parts, etc.

Other than painting 3PO's midriff wires and doing paint work to his eyes I essentially built him clean, displayed him with my 6 inch figures, and was going to weather him later.

I decided to weather him this weekend (about time) based on a build I had seen where 3PO was very lightly sanded with a fine grit microfiber, drybrushed with either Tamiya gold or bronze (if my memory is correct) and covered in a mixture of Elmer's glue and water and then lightly buffed.

I had saved this process (and builder's username) and apparently I've deleted the file. I usually research a kit before building & save all info I plan to use in a file that I can refer to during the build. I must have combined the R2 and 3PO info in a single file (like a dummy) and deleted it after building them, forgetting my plan to weather 3PO later.

If by chance the builder of the 3PO I'm describing, or anyone who's used Elmer's glue on 3PO, sees this could you possibly advise me on whether the glue should be applied before or after adding a wash.
I intend on doing a light wash/panel line effect and could not recall the order.

I'm planning on testing the process on the extra chestplate included with the kit but any advice would obviously save some time.

Thanks in advance if anyone has tips/advice.
Jim

Might it have been Jaitea ?

Thanks, Analyzer.
That's a perfect starting point..and perfect timing. I live about 40 miles from my nearest hobby store and was heading over today to grab some weekend supplies.

I'm going to use the kit's spare pieces (extra chest, face and arms) for testing but this will speed things up exponentially.

Thanks for the link, buddy.
Happy building !!

That's not the one I had once viewed, but it's the same technique (as far as the PVA glue) so it was the info I needed, and Jaitea's looked awesome as well.

Going to give this a try this weekend.

On a side note, when he wired his LEDs he opted to leave the "sneaker soles" off 3PO, and like Jaitea, I never understood where Bandai got the idea for his feet.

I'm not wiring LEDs, but I thought about sanding off most of the "tread" of his feet and trying to maintain just a flat surface for the sole of his feet.

I don't have kit in front of me so I'll have to look at it tonight. I don't want to leave a noticable gap, so I'm not sure how hard it would be. Mainly depend on how "flat" the bottom of upper foot piece is.
Hope that makes sense..lol.

Here's mine.

I did my (dark bronze acrylic) washes first, then applied the glue, let it dry, and gently rubbed away patches of glue with a wet microbrush. It took several treatments to get the proper layering and look of the scuffing.

Here's mine.

I did my (dark bronze acrylic) washes first, then applied the glue, let it dry, and gently rubbed away patches of glue with a wet microbrush. It took several treatments to get the proper layering and look of the scuffing.

That's awesome work, buddy.
Looks excellent.
I'm going to do mine tomorrow night and this info will help tremendously.

I'm actually quite certain yours is the one that originally inspired me, I remember you had done a wash in metallic bronze.

Thanks again for replying with the info.
It's very much appreciated.

That's awesome work, buddy.
Looks excellent.
I'm going to do mine tomorrow night and this info will help tremendously.

I'm actually quite certain yours is the one that originally inspired me, I remember you had done a wash in metallic bronze.

Thanks again for replying with the info.
It's very much appreciated.

No problem! Good luck!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back