Glue choice for ...

wannab

Sr Member
I am back modelling after a 30+ year hiatus, and I am working on some models before tackling the 1:350 Enterprise. My first model is/was the Dan Gurney Indy Eagle and it turned out great. My second is the old AMT Enterprise refit - also turning out great.
Here is the question:
I am to the point I need to glue the saucer section and hull to the neck area, and I was wondering what you folks recommend to glue these areas together for the most strength to keep the sections from separating in the future. The painting and decaling is completed on all sections and I don't want to screw up the paint with a "hot" solvent liquid glue. I'm hoping there is a glue/epoxy that will do the job. Also, should I scrape the areas of contact before gluing?

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Definitely scrape the surfaces before gluing but remove any tiny fragments, I would use Revell Poly Cement, that is what I am using on my 32" falcon and its as strong as anything, thats gluing styrene to styrene.

I generally use Ambroid ProWeld for doing styrene work, but more important than the cement is the fit and the support. It's possible to add strength to the joint by adding styrene posts or strips on the inside of the shell. I've also used nails with the heads cut off as "pins" to add structural support to heavy parts (mostly for resin, though). Another thing that weakens glue joints is any flexing while the glue is setting, so be sure everything is clamped.
It's going to be hard to do the glue and not mar the paint a bit, so I would plan on a bit of touch up once everything dries.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back