Glowing Daggers

novacat17

Hey all!

So a while back I hoped to build Valeera's daggers as seen in Hearthstone, though I am sure they are based on a WoW set of daggers, I am not sure what those names might be as I have never played WoW (lack of money, now a lack of time). Still, I love Blizzard's designs, such a fun build.

My main goal here was also to experiment with LED lighting of the blade, as the blades glow. However, after going through a few design concepts and talking to the folks at my local casting supply shop, I decided to use incandescent powders while I cast the blades. I already had to cast the blades under pressure, as they are semi-transparent, so why not add one more step to the mess and get something that requires no soldering! The entire pre-molded model was made with MDF and apoxy sculpt. Many of the curves were slowly carved or sanded down. The result was a "boxier" look for one dagger than I wanted, but I still think both turned out alright. Paint and leather wrapping helped hide the crimes throughout.

valeera_dagger_v1_by_novastar18-da17yz3.jpg
valeera_dagger_v2_by_novastar18-da17zxv.jpg

It only takes about 3 minutes of sun exposure to get the glow you see. The stuff glows bright too. For any interested it was "Glow Worm" powder.

Nice! Looks like it might be a similar or even the same stuff I use in my MAG glow kits.
What percentage to volume did you mix at? I have mixed at high as 50% even though the spec sheet said no higher than 15%. At 50%, I had to add a drop of translucent blue to the mix to take the custard yellow colour the powder turned the clear polyurethane I use into. .

Attachments

• 20160505_214515.jpg
    20160505_214515.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 47
Thanks dhunpael!

I mixed in a 1:2 ratio powder:resin. The stuff I was using has a green tint to it, as it glows green (there is a blue as well). This worked well, as the blades are transparent green. When I tried to up the mixture a bit, too much of the powder settled before the resin cured, which might be owing to the slower cure time of the transparent resin I was using. In one of the daggers, not pictured, there is a noticeable green tip, where a good deal of powder settled before it cured fully. I found I got the best results when I coated the mold with powder and then added .5:1 powder:resin in the actual resin mixture. This created the best "uniformed" glow while still making it quite bright and keeping quite a bit of transparency.

The only downside to the stuff is that it only comes in two colors, green and blue. This makes it far more limiting than other powders. If I had a faster kicking resin (which I now do) I could probably add more powder, but I honest don't see too much of a reason as the stuff glows bright with very little exposure.

What powder did you use cavx?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back