Glove Problems

fox1

Hey,

I´ve made me gloves out of cement. Then I wanted to make from these positive a negative out of "alginat". In this negative I wanted to fill latex. But when I pulled out the hand, the negative was destroyed and a lot of alginat was on the cement.
Does anybody have an idea what I´ve done wrong? Or is there any better way, how I can make a good glove?

greetz
fox

my guess is it looks like your "cement" had lots of rough imperfections that the alginate attched itelf to?????

how smooth was your sculpt?
did you use a mold release?

alginate is a very weak material and can rip easily.

Thanks for your replies. I didn`t use a mold release. Perhaps that would help. I used clay to attach the fingers to my hands and when they were in the alginat the clay gets wet and flexible again. Then I took the hand out of the alginat the fingers where still in it. Is there any material which I could better use for a negative? I also tested cement. But then the hand was in a block and I didn´t get her out agein.... Wasn`t my best idea ;-)

greetz
fox

im not sure i follow what exactly you are doing. you used clay on your fingers as your original sculpt?
then you tried to take your hand out and the clay around your fingers stayed in the alginate mold?

if you are trying to make latex gloves you need a two part gypsum mold. a mold you can split into halves so you can take the latex cast out of.
and to make the mold you are going to need a sculpture that doesnt include your hands as part of it.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back