Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Yea, definitely Ghostbusters 4.

2016 is fun for what it is (a 2 hour SNL skit about Ghostbusters), but it's not even remotely in the same continuity as 1-3. 2016 took  itself out of that continuity. LoL

As long as Reitman or someone he really trusts is at the wheel I won't freak about it to hard. I really liked all the new characters; though I'm not sure where the story goes from here. The "most movies end with an explosion, but ours needs to end with a hug" approach they took to #3 was fantastic, but they already ended a movie with the hug. 3 will be challenging to follow up.

'Afterlife' was very well-received and sold tickets. It only cost $75m to make. It's a known franchise with big merchandising potential. The decision to do another one is a no-brainer for Sony.

It doesn't matter how the 'Afterlife' story ended, this is a commercial decision. Sequels get tacked onto franchises that were written without sequel intentions all the time.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I should say: "3 will be challenging to follow up well"

Plot wise, they can do anything. But there was a definite heart to 3, based on how the story around Egon played out, and everything building towards that ending. It's going to be hard to draw that same kind of experience out of a new story. And if they choose not to try and play to our hearts, will #4 really feel like a proper sequel?

The obvious direction for #4 is to have Paul Rudd and the kids becoming Ghostbusters. But that approach could be done with or without heavy involvement from the old cast.

Is Bill Murray even willing to do much more GB work? His cooperation can never be taken for granted. The cameo he did in 'Afterlife' may have only been a favor to the Reitman & Ramis families.

He just got a movie shut down for 'inappropriate behavior.' Will it do serious career damage? Hard to know.

AFAIK Bill Murray has never been known as a sex creep. But he has always been prone to eccentric & combative behavior (with everyone, male and female). In previous decades it was tolerated. Now, not so much.

Last edited:
Hard to know.

The obvious direction for #4 is to have Paul Rudd and the kids becoming Ghostbusters. But that approach could be done with or without heavy involvement from the old cast.

Is Bill Murray even willing to do much more GB work? His cooperation can never be taken for granted. The cameo he did in 'Afterlife' may have only been a favor to the Reitman & Ramis families.
Hard to say, as he appears to have not be involved in the upcoming Ghostbusters game (where Dan and Ernie both return for their roles).

Hard to know.

Plus Bill has a new set of issues with his latest project being canceled due to on set “inappropriate behavior”… which we are still awaiting to find out what that was. If that turns out to be something really bad, it could affect his involvement in many future projects.

I wouldn't mind a sequel. Just give it a bit of Indiana Jones spark, where they have to investigate things and do small-time ghostbusting. Doesn't always have to be the world-ending kind of stuff. And I could see Winston being the head of the new group with Paul Rudd and the kids out in the field.

Though it kinda feels like a proper ending to the whole thing... there's actually a lot they can do with the series. But we need the human foil element in the story - either in the form of the government or competing ghost hunting groups.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back