Ghost Hunting shows..

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Mar 3, 2012.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

So, we've got alot of Ghostbuster fans on here, what is your take on all these ghost hunting shows?

Personally, I first got hooked on the UK show Most Haunted when I found it on the travel channel. Eventually you grew tired of it, cause it was always the same old tapping noises they caught. But the crew interaction was fun, and so was seeing the locations/history they went too, so I still tuned in. That is, until I think Karl let loose an S bomb on a live special that the Travel Channel didn't catch in time, and that was the end of that show in the US....

Ghost Hunters took a bit longer to get into. In the begining, it wasn't so much about the cases as it was about their personal lives and interaction. If I remember right, case investigations where really short. Then once brian left, more time seemed to be taken in on cases. Of course, GH isn't without it's own controversy, the biggest being the infamous case of Grant's Right handed coat tug. But it's still fun to watch..

Then there's Ghost Adventures. While they seem to get into a bit more of the digustingly gorey aspect of ghost hunting, it's almost like a darker version of most haunted with a fun to watch crew and some of the most interesting evidence of the three, I think. Of course, the 2004 docu with the flying brick is what got me hooked to begin with :).

And lastly, GHI. I skipped the first three or four seasons of GHI. Something about the lead guy with the beard (Barry?) kind of turned me off from watching. When Barry and Kris took over, I started on full time. The evidence is pretty standard with GH, but the locations they go to more than makes up for any lack of evidence found. Makes up for my unwillingness to travel due to the fact you need planes to get too places ..:). that being said, this latest episode with the rocks being thrown at the fort rocked :).

curious what everyone else thinks. I'm STILL astonished that Dan Aykroyd hasn't started his own show called 'GhostBusters' himself :).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. leafman

leafman Well-Known Member

I like the TAPS method, try to debunk claims and don't freak out when something happens. I can understand the controversy over Ghost Hunters, but I think that might be a result of executive meddling to sensationalize the show, since TAPS at least seemed to be legit before the show started.
    The other shows, I haven't really watched them. A lot of them seem to be a bunch of idiots trying to prove a haunting and getting scared everytime they hear a noise. 'Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files' is a joke, they do a "night investigation" for just about everything, even if they already disproved it. Some of the other shows I've seen, ('Haunted Collector' is especially guilty) take just about anything as evidence and call a place haunted.

Honestly I think the rise of the paranormal shows on air have served more to discredit the field and portray people who actually believe in ghosts as flaky morons who jump at their own shadow.

3. CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]
    And where do they put these ghosts, once they catch them?

4. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

[​IMG]

~In a storge facility~

5. Jaded Monk

Jaded Monk Well-Known Member

May I see... this storage facility, Dr. Venkman?

6. allosaur176

allosaur176 Sr Member

7. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Words like gullibility, susceptibility, pseudoscience and ignorance come to mind. I think people have their B.S. meters turned really low these days. Many of them are acceptable of one or more types of pseudoscience and unfortunately that makes them more prone to being susceptible to other forms of pseudoscience.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. CessnaDriver

[​IMG]

If there's a steady paycheck in it....

9. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Ghost Hunters was actually pretty good, up through the mid-season finale of season 2. Jason refused to say anything was haunted - even when there was pretty provacative evidence (see the florida lighthouse episode). They actually made a concerted effort to debunk everything. After that mid-season finale, though, everything is haunted. Grant farts, the place is haunted. Cameraman spins around too quickly, the place is haunted. The dog looks in a corner, the place is haunted.

The only reason to tune in anymore is the banter between Steve and Tango. Those two are funny, together. Kris was another reason to watch, but they had to ship her over seas, so more than one person would watch GHI.

My biggest gripe with GH is the fact that they do everything at night, which really doesn't make sense to me. Most of the reported "incidents" are things that happened in the middle of the day. Wouldn't good science dictate that you do your investigations at that time, to see if you could recreate the scenarios?

Ghost Adventures, is rubbish. They never try to debunk anything. Everything and anything is either haunted, or proof of a haunting. My god people, try to be, at least, a little bit, discerning.

Paranormal: Fact or Fake - it's not science NOR entertaining. It's six idiots who once read a paragraph on the scientific principle and think they can debunk something by trying an experiment which has nothing to do with the incident. If they can't debunk something with their first, heavily flawed, poorly planned attempt, it must be true. Their idea of science is like "I'm going to prove that paper is fire proof by putting this stack of newspapers out on the porch, on a sunny day.". "Oh look at that, the paper has been on the porch for 6 hours and it hasn't burst into flames. Paper really is fire proof.".

-Fred

10. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well said.

I suffered through Ghost Hunters for 2 years with an old girlfriend of mine untill I could'nt take it anymore! :lol

11. John Barnett

John Barnett New Member

Though I have been very interested in all aspects of the paranormal since childhood, I can't stomach most of the "hunt/investigate" shows, no matter what they are hunting.

They rely on manufactured suspense. After the obligatory introduction to the venue being investigated, they dive in to perform their "science". This consists of night vision filmography of the researchers wandering around and saying 'What was that? Did you hear that? Holy *&^%, that was like right over there!"

Slam cut to commercial. We are supposed to wait on the edge of our seats to see the amazing revelation to come after the act break. One errant sound or perceived movement is stretched into 20 minutes of content, consisting of repeats of the "what's that?" chatter and a lot of meaningless speculation, all spaced around the commercial breaks for maximum dramatic impact.

When the investigation is over, there is no real advancement of the science they claim to practice. Some interesting questions may (rarely) be raised, but there are no gains in knowledge.

One can make any house seem haunted or woods seem rife with furry humanoids by just repeating a legend and putting a bunch of jumpy, chatty people there at night. To me, that's all these shows accomplish. That's a shame, too, because these topics fascinate me and many many other people.

Sadly, a show that restrained itself from focusing on the characters reactions to phenomena and instead devoted itself to seeking real evidence and information would be entirely too dull for the average viewer and therefore dead on arrival.

12. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

Every time when I'm in the USA I'm watching one episode of "Ghosthunters", this is such a ridiculous TV show with fake suspence....

Dietrich

13. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

GA actually did a short investigation during the day and pointed out why it's better to do it at night. as they stated though, they wanted to show that ghost activity happens all times of the day, it's just easier to catch it at night (no sun glare, less ambient noise, etc)

Steve and Tango are like laurel and hardy together sometime :). It's almost a drinking game anytime steve jumps and it cuts to commercial. Is it a spider, or something else? :)

the other thing that bugged me about GH recently was the meatloaf episode. Meat placed a water bottle on a sink and said that if you want some, move it. About 4 minutes later, one of them noticed the bottle had mysteriously moved. either they where playing a joke on Meat and didn't fill us in, or someone moved it.

As for psudoscience, you can't have a new field without experimenting. Isn't that what science is all about ? :)

14. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

the other thing that bugs me about GH lately, is it's all business locations they check out now. all the family houses seem to have been forgotten. Maybe it's tougher to get clearances for those after it airs? who knows..

15. mrbungle

mrbungle Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

well if thy did a show at your house and found some evidence. every yahoo and the mothers would want "to stay the night" to see a ghost. so maybe that is why they have cut back on the homes.

i think all those shows are fake.......the GA brick toss in the "documentary" was complete BS. if you do a ghost show and no ghost show up = low ratings, ghost show up = higher ratings........

it is entertaining. i watch GA all the time for humour. i atleast get one....."get the f&*( out of here" and a laugh each episode.....

16. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

My resposes are in bold, up above :cool

-Fred

17. rodneyfaile

rodneyfaile Sr Member

I couldn't agree more.

They are not doing anything scientific. I wish there were more shows like myth busters that utilize critical thinking, science, and skepticism instead of sensationalism and pseudoscience.

18. Jaded Monk

Jaded Monk Well-Known Member

Agreed.

When I started watching these sort of shows I got caught up in the monitoring equipment.

Night Cams: Sure why not, it is dark after all.
    Thermal Imaging: Good start, almost scientific.
    EMF detectors: Oh, an sciency acronym! Still, plausible, even useful.
    Geiger Counter: (No seriously, I saw one used) Uhm... why?
    EVP: ...
    Divining Rods: Well it was just the once.
    EM Pump: Wait, what?

I had never heard of an EM pump before. So I did some (actual) research.
    Its a neodymium magnet epoxied to a hobby motor. Available on the bay for $50. The investigators are invariably astounded to discover that the batteries have been drained after less than an hour. Supposedly this feeds poltergeists, ghosts and other assorted paranormal phenomena.

I am in the wrong line of work.

19. MattMunson

MattMunson Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm stunned that anyone watches these shows for anything other than comic relief. I mean, seriously? If they put out a show where they went witch hunting, would people watch that too? Oh wait, we all know witches are fake. right? RIGHT????

20. JD

JD Master Member

I generally don't believe in supernatural stuff... I think there's often a rational explanation for most things. But, I still get spooked at things that go bump in the night at times and get those creep feelings every once in a while... something I credit to an active imagination.

I started watching Ghosthunters because they seemed to go out of their way to debunk and rationalize things. This seems to have all but stopped and now they seem to go out of the way to find things that aren't there.

It should only take a quick search to find alleged evidence of their tampering to falsify readings, etc.

21. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bro, I want you to look me dead in the eye and say that after I take you out to lunch with my Ex, thank god, Mother-in-law

22. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

wow, I thought I'd find a few folks here who at least would have an open mind about this stuff.. I've had a few weird things happen that while not ghostly, would qualify as bizzarre..

Phantom smell and sudden goosebumps, with a intense urge to leave the room... Already awake at 2AM due to a loud party across the street, and a knock coming from the closet door. The Stereo turns itself on. Another stereo mutes itself being no where near the remote. all minor things, but does make you wonder... and all one off occurences in different frequented houses never happening again ;o)...

23. Davlin

Davlin Well-Known Member

As NeilT said in the first post, it would be great to see Aykryod doing a Ghostbusting show. Don't know why, but I would be ready to believe him. ;)

24. TheStig

TheStig Active Member

I ignore them all. If anyone found proof of ghosts or anything paranormal, it would be on the news the next day.

25. badmojo

badmojo Active Member

I was standing in line at Walmart today when I noticed the person behind me place a Family Guy: Blue Harvest DVD on the conveyor. Glanced up and recognized Steve from TAPS. That's all, just thought I'd share.

26. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I have some ectoplasm I collected from a ghost I saw and would like to sell it to people who believe in ghosts. $50 a sample.

And no, the fact I have a cold right now is totally coincidental.

27. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Years ago, while attending the Star Wars exhibit at the Boston Science Museum, I ran into Brian Harnois (from seasons 1 / 2 of GH). Talked to him for like 2 hours as we wandered around the exhibit. Nice enough guy.

-Fred

28. BeachWizard

BeachWizard New Member

First of all, my wife and watch most all of the paranormal based shows that are running.

Ghost Hunters is most watched, primarily because we like the approach they use. We have met most everyone from the group. The discussions we have had with them were great. They take what they do seriously.

GHI has some great locations.

Ghost Adventures...Aaron is funny as hell. Sometimes they come up with some interesting stuff. I would like to sit down with them and talk.

Paranormal State...did not really get into that one.

The other side of this coin is we also investigate as a hobby. We both have had things happen we can not explain. She has been touched while walking down a path. Not a touch like a bug hitting you in the back, but a full on touch of a hand.

We were investigating a old hotel in July near Tampa, FL. The upper floors were being renovated, thus had no air conditioning. It was 92 degrees ambient temperature. I walked through a 68 degree "cold spot", which my wife who was 6 feet in front of me did not feel.

We have been to the St. Augustine lighthouse, recorded 2-3 people having a conversation go by us in the tower that we were alone in.

Now, I'm not saying there are ghosts. But, I will say there are things out there we do not understand and may never understand. Since I have experienced it first hand, I willing to believe there are some truths to these shows. I'm sure there has been some sensationalized evidence, but I think it was pushed by the producers for the ratings.

I would say we only get and actual piece of evidence about 7-10% of the time. Taking that into account, that would make for a pretty boring show.

Jay

29. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

at least we know steve has good taste off the set :). Star Wars, not family guy :).

Did anyone watch this weeks GHI yet? Supposedly they showed some cutting and blood letting that 'magically' stirred up the spirits. Sniffs of Producer medling to me. My conspiracy theory is stuff like this is why Grant left GH. he probably doesn't like the TV side of investigating for ratings, and Kris Williams doesn't either from her latest twitter post.

30. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Cold spots are a naturally occurring event in the air. They happen all over all the time. The fact that your wife did not feel it does not mean anything beyond the fact that she did not feel it. I'm sorry to discount your evidence, but it's not evidence of anything paranormal, IMHO.

I am assuming you mean you recorded a conversation that you did not hear with your ears. Yes? Two days ago I was watching TV and the speaker picked up a radio signal and I heard a DJ talking over my TV show. I was working on a film some years ago (in Tampa), and the camera I was using (a canon XL-2) picked up a cell phone conversation from an apartment next store. Our DAT machine picked up a signal and ruined the audio. It was garbled, low, and sounded really creepy. Had we been on a paranormal investigation, well, we could have labelled it as evidence I suppose.

Again, I'm not trying to discount your evidence, I'm just trying to tell you that it's very likely not paranormal at all. Electronic recording devices are notorious for picking up electronic signals moving through the air, and that signal can be distorted in many ways once it hits your recording device. Especially out away from cities and hubs of broadcasting. You can also receive crossed signals that sound pretty crazy.

I'm not a skeptic of the paranormal. I'm a skeptic of ghost shows though. ;)

31. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

the only crossed signal I got was calling a neighbor. somehow my line crossed with their's, and I heard a conversation between mother and daughter taking place in an un-intended three way. oddly enough, it was about me! THAT I would call paranormal!, never happened again!

32. BeachWizard

BeachWizard New Member

Actually, is was a conversation we did hear.

No problem...we actually welcome opinions on everything we do. We review "evidence" very closely. If there is any doubt, we dismiss it. The odd thing about the cold spot...is that's the only time I have ever felt one.

Jay

33. CessnaDriver

The factual repeatable provable evidences of the way the human brain functions is more then enough explaination for me for "ghosts" and quite a bit of other things as well.
    It's been beat about on this forum before.

That is a point of fascination for me though, how the mind can utterly convince an individual of existance of the non-existant. Why that is? what purpose has it served
    in human evolution if any? and why in an age of science it is still with us?

34. TheCollector

TheCollector Active Member

I tend to like GA more. They have only quit a lock down once but GH will leave a room just cause the one guy has a fear of spiders. I've seen a few where the guy on GH did that in a few episodes. I know it's a phobia and everyone has them but even Zak goes through a full investigation when he's around his phobia of dolls.

Also for those who haven't seen this photo, Ghostbusters now with Ghostbusters then
    [​IMG]

35. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Holy crap, I love that! when did that happen? Wonder if Dan knew who he was before he talked to him?

36. propnoob74

propnoob74 Well-Known Member

Well, where to start, Love the shows because is kind of funny when they get spooked by noises and sounds, I am very skeptical about the whole supernatural and afterlife subject; that's why I watch. Now, do anybody here look at the shows and think hmmmm, if there are a lot of activities why don't they put more cameras around?, OK, they can carry their own, but at the beginning of every show they go through the place that needs to be investigated and pin point all the places where "supposedly" supernatural stuff happens, but then they place a crappy camera on a crappy spot.

I'm not a director, but if a room has a lot of activities, why they don't cover all 4 corners of the room? that way if it is true that ghostly stuff happens they have a better chance to see it and convince people that there is "life after death" anybody cares to share their view on this?

37. CessnaDriver

After all that hunting, they still get scared?

What is it to be scared of exactly? LOL????

The "ghosts" are not even capable of giving you a wedgy!

38. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I held a ceremony (mostly on a dare, but primarily to scare the pants off a few girls) that was supposed to summon a demon.

I didn't get no demon.

Probably didn't work because I didn't believe it would. Yep that's the reason.

39. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

or maybe, he now resides inside you and makes you do stuff without you noticing it!
    had any blackouts etc since then? like, drink too much and dont remember the whole evening? yeah thats when he does it :D

40. mcnopants13

mcnopants13 New Member

not my favorite thing these ghost hunting shows. TAPS is alittle ridiculous for my liking.

kind of a side tangent but my favorite two lines from ghost busters have all been from the Winston character. "Ray, if someone asks if you're a god you say YES!" and to the mayor "Since I joined these men I have seen **** that would turn you white"

did they just give him these amazing lines or did he do them himself? hmmm possibly the topic for a seperate forum lol