Gerry Anderson - UFO TV Series - Shado Pistol replica build

When one sees close up pics like that, they do just look like chunks of shaped wood with a good paint job don't they. Like a lot of TV props they look pretty rough when seen up close. I guess the good things about wood were that it was cheap, easy to find, easy to work with and easy to fix or replace if broken on the set.

Keeping on the Anderson theme, I was looking at a couple of pics of the SPECTRUM issue pistol from Captain Scarlet yesterday. It has little in the way of detail and would be a bit easier than the SHADO pistols to make from scratch I think. Might be another one for my to-do list. I have way too many to-do projects and no chance right now to do anything about it.

And off topic, I was also looking at some of the fantastic fan made "Man from UNCLE" pistols out there including some with all of the rifle options and some that can fire live rounds. Of course any chance of me getting a Walther P38 or Mauser replica of any kind to use to make one is about zero. I do have a plastic Walther that fires plastic pellets from years ago that might be a passable thing to work with. I need some good 3D CAD files of Berreta CX-4s and FN- P90s to take to someone and get them to make me some parts with stereolithography. Either that or decent life sized 2D drawings that I can use as patterns to carve the pieces myself.

Last edited:
Keeping on the Anderson theme, I was looking at a couple of pics of the SPECTRUM issue pistol from Captain Scarlet yesterday. It has little in the way of detail and would be a bit easier than the SHADO pistols to make from scratch I think.

I would love to see to pics of the Spectrum pistol !!! :love

SHOW ME !!! :love

Thanks.

Gordon

The pistol looks great. I do not recall how many variations on the pistol there were.
Did the changes all involve the flash hider?

The pistol looks great. I do not recall how many variations on the pistol there were.
Did the changes all involve the flash hider?

It looks like there was a size difference in the security pistol and the "acoustic" gun (which looks a little smaller and more compact.) The grip design also looked a little different from the screen caps I had.

I plan to build the smaller one - but after the rifles are done. I am having a second front flash hider made for this pistol - but the one with the heavy grooves looks so good - I am keeping that version also. It is clearly a "Gerry Anderson" type design. I have ordered molding RTV for the pistol.

I am finishing a few final details - and starting construction of the blue Rifle. The Timelash Rifle will be the toughest and most expensive to build. I am having real parts machined for the flash hider, scopes-carry handle, and front gunsight. :love

Might have to try the Captain Scarlet pistol.

Gordon

Of course that little SPECTRUM pistol in that photo you posted is from the New Captain Scarlet (CGI) not the original show.
NCS_gun_1.jpg

The old one was more like this. It's a pictuire of one of the toy guns from the time. I had a bunch of photo from CS and lost them with a drive problem. I'll have to watch the DVDs and do some grabs again.
capnscarlet.jpg

Sorry they are so small but as I said I lost all of the good ones. I'm going to rewatch UFO, CS and Joe 90 from the DVDs and see what nice grabs I can get.

Here is a Doppelganger/SHADO pistol that was around years ago.
prop_pistol.jpg

Here's the youtube link to see more of this pistol.

YouTube - GERRY ANDERSON TOY PISTOLS AND ACCESSORIES from THUNDERBIRDS JOE 90 SCARLET and UFO

Might have to try the Captain Scarlet pistol.

Looks good. I remember hearing about this show somewhere and i think the guys who created the X-com videogames mention growing up with it. I may have to see if i can find it on dvd.

Looks good. I remember hearing about this show somewhere and i think the guys who created the X-com videogames mention growing up with it. I may have to see if i can find it on dvd.

Thanks for the replys and the PICS !!! :lol:lol:lol

The Toy UFO pistols are RARE. :love

The Whole UFO series is on Amazon - for $ 23.99 NEW !!! :love

Amazon.com: The Complete UFO Megaset: Gerry Anderson: Movies & TV

I paid $ 89.99 for mine when it cam out. :cry

UFO TV series is a bit out-dated since it took place in the Gerry Anderson "future" of 1980 !! But the series is still fun to watch for the special effects and props. Some of the stories are still great!! Have to over look the hairstyles of the 70's. You can see trailers on Youtube.

There is a remake UFO Movie coming out 2011 !!!!

Gordon

You know I'm here for ya Gordon!
Why I cut my teeth on purple wigs and string vests!
Keep pluggin' at that pistol, I'll take one when you're happy with it!
Cheers, Jeff

I am plugging along with the pistol. I have the prototype built - got the molding plastic - but still experimenting before trying the whole pistol. It is coming along. more pics soon.

Thinks for asking.

Gordon

I'm a big UFO fan too.
Got these two to finish, sometime never.

p1010028pe.jpg

p1010029h.jpg

(probably way after the movie comes out!)

Last edited:
Looking good INTERCEPTOR.
Whats your Moby cabin made from, looks like perspex?

Yep Skydiver is about a metre long, but it's hegaxonal in crossection, which I know is wrong...now.
But I started making her long before the internet...and VHS come to that.
So I have to alter her, I kinda want to but knida don't. If that makes any sense !

Looking good INTERCEPTOR.
Whats your Moby cabin made from, looks like perspex?

Yep Skydiver is about a metre long, but it's hegaxonal in crossection, which I know is wrong...now.
But I started making her long before the internet...and VHS come to that.
So I have to alter her, I kinda want to but knida don't. If that makes any sense !
Hi Janders,
I'd want to finish it, octagon or not! Still gonna be a sweet build when it's done! :love
The Moby cab was vac formed by a guy in Michigan, as well as the body build. I've built the frame and Tiger Joe tank bits, now need to find the time to get it all together and add the greeblies!

Finding the time...that's the trick isn't it.
I'm currently getting my a$$ kicked by the James Bond DB9 build (in the General Modelling forum) but I WILL get back to UFO.

Be interesting to see whose Moby get finished first?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back