Generic Rebel (on a budget!)

Thanks! The dying process is not bad. And I just used a little 4” square I have for roughing in the cross slide on the Hardinge to cut the strap to (the same) length. There’s a bit of slack if I want to make it longer.

Strap was $20 plus $6 for the light brown dye. Maybe it’ll lighten a bit but it’s fine either way. $31 five-dollar belt...

I may scratch build another guitar strap from Latigo leather, but I was warned the color comes out of that with wear. Plus it’s like 1/4” thick so I’d need a different buckle. But MAN is it nice looking.

As I said earlier- that leather store is dangerous...

Thanks! The dying process is not bad. And I just used a little 4” square I have for roughing in the cross slide on the Hardinge to cut the strap to (the same) length. There’s a bit of slack if I want to make it longer.

Strap was $20 plus $6 for the light brown dye. Maybe it’ll lighten a bit but it’s fine either way. $31 five-dollar belt...

I may scratch build another guitar strap from Latigo leather, but I was warned the color comes out of that with wear. Plus it’s like 1/4” thick so I’d need a different buckle. But MAN is it nice looking.

As I said earlier- that leather store is dangerous...
Yeh, I love leather too. I was lucky that when I was putting together my Jedi costume last year I had an old large leather mobile phone pouch, that worked quite well with the costume. It might not be screen accurate, but could easily have been something a Jedi might pick up in his travels.

A nice dying tip is to soak fabric in cold tea. Mix up a bucket of tea and soak the fabric in it until you get the desired effect. I used this once to create ancient looking scrolls from plain teatowels and wood that I turned on Dad's lathe. Creates a nice aging/weathering effect. It might be useful for softening and aging some strong colours. Give it a try on an old t-shirt or something like that to see how it works first. I haven't tried it on leather, but it might be fun to try on something old to see if it works.

The other thing I did for my Jedi costume was the boots. I have a 20 year old pair of Aussie riding boots that are still very wearable, but surface scuffed in places. They're a tan colour. I polished them up with a dark brown shoe polish, two coats, which darkened them up very nicely, without losing the tan totally, and especially gave a wonderful weathered effect to all the scuffed areas.

Photo on IG Login • Instagram

A little more work on this. I used a seam ripped to remove the logo from the back (small rubbery oval) and the left sleeve (rubbery rectangle thing).

Things were going fine u til I tore the sleeve with the ripper. It seems the thread for the logo is stronger than the fabric (which is similar to bed sheet material).

So, I did the only reasonable thing- I designed and made a patch for the left shoulder to cover the rip.

First thought was the starbird like Poe has, but since I hope to get that jacket from Magnoli as soon as possible I thought something else would be better.

The Scariff marines had a yellow logo on their helmets- I found a good rendering on rebel legion and printed it “wallet size”. Then I covered it with packing tape and cut it out- instant stencil.

Picked up a $5 bag of scrap leather with some black in there at lunch today. Cut out a piece with square corners and laid the stencil on. Gave it a generous coating with safety yellow paint and took off the stencil... a bit fuzzy on the edges so I cleaned it up with acetone. Ya know- dampen the rag and wipe close to what you want to keep.

Threw it in the oven to cure.

Took it out and abused it a bit. Marked it for stitching and realized I’m not going to hand stitch this thing... I’ll bring it to the seamstress for the collar alteration and to apply this thing.

But whadaya think?

I’m also planning to get a bar of otter wax (or Barbour wax) and wax this thing. It’s a bed sheet material similar to my Barbour coat. I think that’ll look good but I’m open to opinions on that.

EDIT- hey! I had the stencil upside down! I made the logo wrong! Into the scrap heap with this! (They don’t call me ID10T for nothin’!)

Attachments

• 91D3FAEA-3478-4D04-A945-B4192FCF44FA.jpeg
    91D3FAEA-3478-4D04-A945-B4192FCF44FA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • 3EBE660C-5CAB-49DA-A39B-6B37D7EA341C.jpeg
    3EBE660C-5CAB-49DA-A39B-6B37D7EA341C.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 87AFBA52-DC1F-4A85-8B3B-E8203E4B2443.jpeg
    87AFBA52-DC1F-4A85-8B3B-E8203E4B2443.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
  • A11F41A3-27EF-41A6-92EE-29A15AF36A02.jpeg
    A11F41A3-27EF-41A6-92EE-29A15AF36A02.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 77
  • 656A213D-89AB-45AE-BF34-86062C6E574F.jpeg
    656A213D-89AB-45AE-BF34-86062C6E574F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • 37610B9D-B08D-44AC-8EFC-F085418963C5.jpeg
    37610B9D-B08D-44AC-8EFC-F085418963C5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • A3CC8D9A-9700-4C1C-9BA7-17C271CE3810.jpeg
    A3CC8D9A-9700-4C1C-9BA7-17C271CE3810.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 85
  • 280D8CB6-C914-4667-BA35-BC8279655AF8.jpeg
    280D8CB6-C914-4667-BA35-BC8279655AF8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
So, here’s the new logo patch I made. Went round this time. It seems I set it a bit low, so I added a red stripe across the top. Clearly the bad-ass unit.

And today I visited a local seamstress. She is too busy to make me things from patterns, but alterations are her “thing”. She has a background in engineering prior to becoming a seamstress, so these things are right up her alley. She will convert to a Mandarin collar on the jacket and install the patch.

9A8E2CAF-E6B4-4091-9225-ABE1ABD4F95D.jpeg

Just realized I never updated.

During the week I picked up the jacket.

YES!

Exactly as I imagined it (I love it when a plan comes together...)

447E9154-383E-4570-B070-7B545E655F1A.jpeg

And the collar:
0972C336-1BA5-4A01-BA41-BB224E5189AE.jpeg
E5150A40-49DE-416E-90F9-AAD65166883F.jpeg

it really came out exactly as I was envisioning.

Now I’m on the fence about the wax... I guess I should do it, because this jacket offers little protection from even a stiff wind. The wax will help. So I guess I’m doing it. I only have one bar... wish me luck!

....(I love it when a plan comes together...)...
Understand Captain America GIF

Just realized I never updated.

During the week I picked up the jacket.

YES!

Exactly as I imagined it (I love it when a plan comes together...)

View attachment 1452341

And the collar:
View attachment 1452342View attachment 1452343

it really came out exactly as I was envisioning.

Now I’m on the fence about the wax... I guess I should do it, because this jacket offers little protection from even a stiff wind. The wax will help. So I guess I’m doing it. I only have one bar... wish me luck!
Looking great BTW!

The waxing has been done a while (took almost two bars) and I'm not crazy about how it looks. I want to hit it with the heat gun and melt the wax deeper into the fabric, because it is sort of cracking on the surface and looks, well, bad.

If it doesn't look as I had hoped, or at least acceptable, I'm going to have to sell it. (that wax was a LOT of work to do)

Great post, thanks for sharing, saw this today, thought I’d leave it here.

found similar on AliExpress:
£3.67 36% Off | Pocket Round Folding Small Knife Keychain Hanging Coin for Outdoor Tactic Survival Self Defend Opener Parcel Letter Multi Tool

Attachments

• 42B0E47D-C5B1-4EA6-96EC-D64E152D5473.jpeg
    42B0E47D-C5B1-4EA6-96EC-D64E152D5473.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 69
I've not seen that series yet.

We have Disney Plus, but our TV does not meet Disney's standards, so they don't let us watch anything on our TV...

If Disney let us watch it, I certainly would check it out. I was never a big fan of Boba from the original movies, so not heavily motivated to buy ANOTHER screen for our house, just to please Disney.

Could you not just hook a TV up to your computer as a second monitor? Surely the computer would give D+ whatever feedback signal it's looking for.

This is coming along very nicely! I wish I had military places in my area to go to for stuff. Only ones I knew of were an hour away and have all shut down permanently. I'm in a rural area that doesn't have many options for stores.

Have you made up your mind on some boots? I saw these ones on amazon but not sure if you'd like them. They are about $70. Or are those just gaiters? If they are just the gaiters you could always get some inexpensive slip-on shoes to wear under them. You could weather shoes and/or gaiters to make them fit with the theme. Not sure what sort of options you have for shoes in your area. Shoes/boots are something you will want to try on before you buy because you never know if they will be comfortable.

I look forward to seeing your choices for the rest of the costume and then seeing it completed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back