General Doctor Whoniverse Discussion

You probably don't believe that the audience clapping will save Tinkerbell either.

Something I noticed while binge watching classic Who: the stories were longer. Each episode was just over 20 minutes not counting credits and a reminder of what happened in the previous episode and the stories were four or more episodes long.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Nah man, Tinkerbell is legit!

Stories used to be MUCH longer although seasons usually didn't have the overall arc the new ones have. War Games was 10 episodes long.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Don't forget that for a lot of those classic/longer episodes, there was a lot of '"Where are we Doctor?", investigate. run from bad guy, get captured, cliffhanger -next week- reprise, escape, plot development, run, capture, cliffhanger, repeat'
Some stories had lots of capture/escape moments, which is what happens when you need half a dozen cliffhangers during one story. At least these days we can speed things up with 'capture/locked door? No prob, sonic it', episode fits within the 45 minutes.

Don't forget that for a lot of those classic/longer episodes, there was a lot of '"Where are we Doctor?", investigate. run from bad guy, get captured, cliffhanger -next week- reprise, escape, plot development, run, capture, cliffhanger, repeat'
Some stories had lots of capture/escape moments, which is what happens when you need half a dozen cliffhangers during one story. At least these days we can speed things up with 'capture/locked door? No prob, sonic it', episode fits within the 45 minutes.

There is of course that. :lol

It got particularly bad with Tom Baker and on. I recall a lot of the cliff hangers prior to that weren't really capture/escape but revelations in the earlier days.

One that springs to mind is Tom Baker overacting while he pretends a rubber Kaled mutant is strangling him (which he naturally overpowers in the next episode) because they couldn't think of a cliffhanger. Hartnell was particularly bad for the capture/escape cycle.

Seeing as the Valeyard was name dropped in TNOTD I was thinking about a possible origin for the character.Then I realized that we've technically been robbed of a Doctor. The Tenth Doctor's aborted regeneration means there is a missing regeneration.An uncast actor. A Doctor that never was.

With a rather abstract, timey-wimey take on things, what if this "Never-was Doctor" could somehow be pulled into existence by an enemy of the Doctor. Possibly using some form of paradox-engine similar to the one we saw in TSOD/LOTTL? This incarnation would feel cheated, abandoned and harbor a lot of rage. He would then seek to rob the Doctor of all of his remaining regenerations in the same way he was robbed of his existence.

That kind of plot sounds very moffat to me.

Last edited:
AD68C3137A8349A18C94CCF4DC8AF36F.ashx

Seeing as the Valeyard was name dropped in TNOTD I was thinking about a possible origin for the character.Then I realized that we've technically been robbed of a Doctor. The Tenth Doctor's aborted regeneration means there is a missing regeneration.An uncast actor. A Doctor that never was.

Meta-crisis Doctor is the missing regeneration, or rather the energy of the regeneration that would have changed 10 made Meta-crisis. Looking at it like that, technically Doctor-Donna could be the Valeyard since it's an incarnation of the Doctor between the 12th (Meta-Crisis or Ten) and 13th (Eleven) incarnation. That's obviously not the way things went, but an argument could be made that the Doctor-Donna fits in there slightly.

More likely the Valeyard concept will be referenced offhandedly but otherwise ignored because it would be a nightmare to work in at this point.

Just watched 'Night of the Doctor" again and I can't help but wonder how differently things might have gone.

OHILA: "Mock us if you will, but our elixir can trigger your regeneration, bring you back. Time Lord science is elevated here on Karn. The change doesn't have to be random. Fat or thin, young or old, ...."

DOCTOR: "Fat."

OHILA; "...man or woman?"

DOCTOR: "I said. Fat."

OHILA: "...Are you taking the ****!?"

DOCTOR: "There's no need for a Doctor anymore. Make a fat *******. Now."

OHILA: "..."

Just watched 'Night of the Doctor" again and I can't help but wonder how differently things might have gone.

OHILA: "Mock us if you will, but our elixir can trigger your regeneration, bring you back. Time Lord science is elevated here on Karn. The change doesn't have to be random. Fat or thin, young or old, ...."

DOCTOR: "Fat."

OHILA; "...man or woman?"

DOCTOR: "I said. Fat."

OHILA: "...Are you taking the ****!?"

DOCTOR: "There's no need for a Doctor anymore. Make a fat *******. Now."

OHILA: "..."

:lol:lol:lol

How incredibly random! I love it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back