GasmanR's TDK Grappling Gun Holster Build (pic heavy)

GasmanR

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About a year ago I stumbled across a TDK grapple gun being sold on Ebay

. IMG_20151124_100211.jpgIMG_20151124_100156.jpg

A bit beat up (but what's a little battle damage !) and I don't know its provenance (but I suspect it's a Gordon Gecko construction) - it's well made and highly detailed.

And although it makes for some great pictures

FB_IMG_1443414068715.jpgFB_IMG_1443413977208.jpg

It's a pain to carry around. I needed a holster.

Unfortunately no seems to be making or selling them these days so I am forced to make one. Hopefully this build log will serve as motivation to keep the project moving forward.

Attachments

• IMG_20151124_100156.jpg
    IMG_20151124_100156.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 634
  • IMG_20151124_100211.jpg
    IMG_20151124_100211.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 284
Sorry about the upside down pics at the end of the previous post - don't know what happened there.

My initial plan was to design and print in a holster using my 3d printer and CAD software. I thought that a solid print in ABS plastic would be strong enough to hold the gun but on second assessment I decided to use a cast resin as this would probably be stronger given the weight of the gun and allow my to experiment with the moulding and resin casting process.

I soon hit the first hurdle, it soon became apparent that despite mucking around with this technology for sometime now, my 3d design skills( using (Geomagic Design) and my 3d printer (a Solidoodle 2) weren't up to scratch. Fortunately I have a very understanding wife (I really love that woman!) who let me buy a new printer - behold the new beast a Cubicon 3DP-110F (aka The Cubicon Single):

IMG_20151124_112133.jpg

I also found in the classified section Stevie Dee of Crimson Coscrafts was doing 3D model commissions. A small sum of money later, Stevie sends me the following models (and a few freebies - what a nice guy! Do yourself a favor and check out his Arkham Knight cosplay it's amazing).

grapnel.jpg

Stay tuned for part three

Part 3

Using the OBJ files from Crimson Coscraft and the slicing software supplied with my printer, I was able to generate the following components:

IMG_20151124_100724.jpgIMG_20151124_100735.jpgIMG_20151124_100759.jpgIMG_20151124_100831.jpg

However the main strut refused to print correctly - I think that this was because the OBJ file had somehow been interpreted as hollow and so was too difficult to generate a correct STL which could then be converted to G Code for printing.

As this strut was a pretty simple structure, I was able to design a copy in my CAD software and then print this out. This worked out quite well aprt from some warping in the main axis (despite using a raft when printed)

IMG_20151124_100819.jpgIMG_20151124_100810.jpg

More to come

Laying out the pieces the holster starts to take shape:

IMG_20151124_101111.jpg

A trial fit:

IMG_20151124_101149.jpg

Testing for size:

IMG_20151124_101250.jpg

Looking good if I say so myself ! - don't mind the yellow Kevlar socks in the photo, I was just about to put on my boots and ride the motorbike to work.

Now I need to finish the surface of the printed components and start casting.

Fortunately the necessary supplies arrived :

IMG_20151124_100439.jpgIMG_20151124_100518.jpgIMG_20151124_100529.jpg

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials on silicon moulding (particularly with regard to correct orientation of original piece ) and resin casting ?

That looks mostly like a Gordon Gekko grapple, except mine doesn't have the Wayne logo on it and I haven't seen another one that does.

Holster looks great. Would you consider a run when it's all done?

That looks mostly like a Gordon Gekko grapple, except mine doesn't have the Wayne logo on it and I haven't seen another one that does.

Holster looks great. Would you consider a run when it's all done?

Thanks for the compliment.

I am still very early in this process - I haven't yet finished (ie sanded,smoothed, filled etc) the printed parts and I have never molded or cast a piece before so it could all go horribly wrong.

But if it all comes to together nicely and I am happy with the finished product (and there are no issues with copyright/IP given I am predominantly using someoneelse's 3d models) - I would consider a small run if there is sufficient interest. But there is a hell of a lot work to do before I get to that stage ! ( And postage from Australia might be the killer!)

But I will continue to detail my progress as I go to force myself to see things through to the end.

Last edited:
Time for an update

This 3D modeling and printing stuff can sometimes be a little bit of a trial and error process - as proof I give you my current "graveyard" - prints that tried but failed !

IMG_20151201_111540.jpg

May they rest in peace !

Although I have been doing a fair bit of online reading and watching Youtube tutorials about finishing models and making molds and casts - I am still not ready yet.

I decided I wanted to completely finish the 3D printed masters before I got to that stage of molding and casting.

I turned my attention to how I was going to attach the holster to my belt. Fortunately greater minds than mine have already solved this problem - I give you coofunkcurly's solution from the BOTB forum.

IMG_1400.jpgIMG_1397.jpgIMG_1396.jpg

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery - so here's my attempt

IMG_20151201_110940.jpgIMG_20151201_110921.jpgIMG_20151201_111414.jpgIMG_20151201_111346.jpg

We have 2 blocks of plastic which are screwed into each other clamping the belt in between. On the outward facing block we have a mushroom shaped knob over which the U shaped receiver slides allowing the holster to swing freely (making a fancy clip arrangement like coofunkcurly is beyond my mechanical engineering skills - I am simply relying on gravity and the shape and size of the receiver) . The receiver is then glued and screwed into the upper part of the holster. The whole thing sticks out from the belt slightly more than the cylindrical utility pouch so the holster doesn't rub against it.

IMG_20151201_111855.jpg

The good thing about not have cast anything yet is that I can revise some pieces - I already reprinted the main strut as the original was warped ( It always surprises me how the tiniest of tweaks on your printer settings can produce dramatic improvements) and I need to make a recess for the mushroom knob on the belt plate and also make a recess for the U receiver on the upper holster piece. This will make the whole thing a lot stronger and look a lot sleeker .

Chris

Time for an update

This 3D modeling and printing stuff can sometimes be a little bit of a trial and error process - as proof I give you my current "graveyard" - prints that tried but failed !

View attachment 561070

May they rest in peace !

Although I have been doing a fair bit of online reading and watching Youtube tutorials about finishing models and making molds and casts - I am still not ready yet.

I decided I wanted to completely finish the 3D printed masters before I got to that stage of molding and casting.

I turned my attention to how I was going to attach the holster to my belt. Fortunately greater minds than mine have already solved this problem - I give you coofunkcurly's solution from the BOTB forum.

View attachment 561074View attachment 561073View attachment 561072

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery - so here's my attempt

View attachment 561076View attachment 561075View attachment 561078View attachment 561077

We have 2 blocks of plastic which are screwed into each other clamping the belt in between. On the outward facing block we have a mushroom shaped knob over which the U shaped receiver slides allowing the holster to swing freely (making a fancy clip arrangement like coofunkcurly is beyond my mechanical engineering skills - I am simply relying on gravity and the shape and size of the receiver) . The receiver is then glued and screwed into the upper part of the holster. The whole thing sticks out from the belt slightly more than the cylindrical utility pouch so the holster doesn't rub against it.

View attachment 561081

The good thing about not have cast anything yet is that I can revise some pieces - I already reprinted the main strut as the original was warped ( It always surprises me how the tiniest of tweaks on your printer settings can produce dramatic improvements) and I need to make a recess for the mushroom knob on the belt plate and also make a recess for the U receiver on the upper holster piece. This will make the whole thing a lot stronger and look a lot sleeker .

Chris
This coming along nicely! i have modelled and printed one but on the top section i just modelled a peice to hook over the belt fixed with a small bolt n nut so it can move

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am out of town for awhile - there will be no updates until i get back - but I promise you all I will finish this build.

Promise broken :unsure: :(
I promised to finish the build - not necessarily post about it. :p The resin grapnel gun ultimately proved to be too heavy and too delicate for me be confident that once in the holster it wouldn't fall out and break. The holster it self was too easily broken when walking during testing. So just like Google and some of its products - project abandoned with no further updates. Life moves on..

Laying out the pieces the holster starts to take shape:

View attachment 558656

A trial fit:

View attachment 558657

Testing for size:

View attachment 558659

Looking good if I say so myself ! - don't mind the yellow Kevlar socks in the photo, I was just about to put on my boots and ride the motorbike to work.

Now I need to finish the surface of the printed components and start casting.

Fortunately the necessary supplies arrived :

View attachment 558660View attachment 558661View attachment 558662

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials on silicon moulding (particularly with regard to correct orientation of original piece ) and resin casting ?
Hi brother. Is this file for sale?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back