Game of Thrones

Awesome! He's a great actor and I'm still PO'd that Deadwood got cancelled. The only downside is he constantly bashes Babylon 5 since he was in one of the movies.

I could see a Randyll Tarley, a Euron Greyjoy, or a flashback Mad King Aerys II.

But I'm really hoping he has at least several scenes where he says a word that rhymes with "rock chucker."

He'd be awesome as Aerys, though he'd look a bit off-putting with silver-blonde hair...

Right, but that'd be the point. Give him the silver-blonde hair and purple eyes (maybe -- they might not go that far), and he'd be...unsettling. I don't see him as quite as spindly as that, though, and to be fair, Aerys was supposed to be in his early 40s when he died. So, I'd say a Randyll Tarley or a Euron Greyjoy. That said, I'm not sure they're gonna do anything with the Iron Isles at this point. And for all we know, he'll be a totally new character or some other flashback character.

The casting people really did a good job, all things considered:

uploadfromtaptalk1438774519425.jpg

Fine by me. Frankly, I always thought that theory was a bit too "cute." Coupled with several other theories (e.g. Tyrion is a Targaeryan), it just struck me as a little too convenient and interconnected. I'd be perfectly fine with Benjen just...disappearing. Or if the answer was "Yeah. That guy? He died and rose from the dead. End of story." Maybe he'll be used as an emotional wedge at some climactic moment where Jon Snow is about to destroy the Night's King or something, acting as the "mouth of the King" or whatever, but even if he just never showed up, I wouldn't really care.

That'd be silly, considering the Red Keep is, itself, a Targaeryan fortress. Why burn your own house?

The only reason -- at least within the show -- is Dany's conviction of destroying the existing power structure (which strikes me as...ambitious at the least, and foolish at the worst).

Fine by me...

I never bought that theory, I'm just glad to see a "definitive" ruling of sorts on it. It seems like the story has so many "not quite dead yet" characters that it is losing a bit of the impact where people start to think, unless the death was witnessed first hand, they aren't dead. Even then sometimes when witnessed first hand they still come back

I never bought that theory, I'm just glad to see a "definitive" ruling of sorts on it. It seems like the story has so many "not quite dead yet" characters that it is losing a bit of the impact where people start to think, unless the death was witnessed first hand, they aren't dead. Even then sometimes when witnessed first hand they still come back

I think that's more due to the way that Books 4/5 were written and published. It's known by now (It is known!) that Martin ended up cutting a bunch of "wrap-up" material from Book 5 that is now going into Book 6. I think a lot of the "not quite dead" stuff would've been addressed in that material. I do agree that his penchant for ending chapters with "cliffhanger" moments and strong implications that a character has died got pretty old throughout Books 4 and 5. I think Tyrion must've "died" about 3-4 times in Book 5.

Basically, for those who haven't read the books, it's similar to what happened with Stannis in the last episode with "Go on, do your duty," where you see Brienne swing the sword....but you don't know whether it actually hits him or if she sticks it into the tree above his head or whatever. Those kinds of cliffhangers are all throughout Books 4 and 5.

It's funny, but people LOVE to give Martin crap for killing characters, and yet, when you think about it, MOST of the really important ones are still alive. He killed Ned, Catelyn, and Robb, killed Oberyn Martell (the Red Viper), but otherwise...most of the "good guys" are still alive. The show's actually killed off more people, I'd say.

That'd be silly, considering the Red Keep is, itself, a Targaeryan fortress. Why burn your own house?

His "house" didn't exactly treat him very well, though, did it? The majority of his family tried to have him executed.

The only reason -- at least within the show -- is Dany's conviction of destroying the existing power structure (which strikes me as...ambitious at the least, and foolish at the worst).

I want Dany to eventually realize that Essos is her home, and she stays and rules there, but gives Tyrion a dragon and sends him to conquer and rule Westeros.
Tyrion's dragon melts the Iron Throne, and Tyrion establishes a democracy. Then the communists revolt (lol).

Bear in mind I haven't read the books, so I'm sure there's a lot of details I'm missing.
I doubt this story will have a happy ending, though, given GRRM's penchant for hurting and killing everybody.

i never understood how people who've supposedly read the books could ever think Coldhands could be Benjen. There's no real evidence to support it, then a character in book 5 flat out says Coldhands is very old. There you have it. Not Benjen.

As for Tyrion being a secret Targaryen, not likely, but possible. His physical description (aside from the dwarfism) in the books has some characteristics that are often found in Targaryens, like his hair color and mismatched eyes. Also they keep mentioning in the book how King Aerys kept insinuating that he wanted to sleep with Tywin's wife. Its entirely possible he did and Tyrion is the result. It could possibly explain why Tywin never cared about him. So could being a dwarf, though.

So could killing his mother in childbirth, for that matter.

Anyway, I don't think Tyrion would do something like burn the city to the ground and institute a democracy. He's far too practical and realistic for that, however he might feel about the way the world has treated him. He'd have to realize that you don't just suddenly take serfs and peasants, say "Ok, you're free now" and expect them to govern themselves when they've only ever been ruled by feudal overlords. They'll just institute some new hierarchical structure that's exactly the same as the previous structure, but with new people running the show.

Political systems only change gradually over long periods of time. Hell, Dany's time in "Iraq" shows that. She went round, freeing slaves, but not bothering to set up new governments, the slaves put new kings in charge, those kinds would end up killed by someone else who'd say "Now I'm king" and on and on the cycle would go. When Dany sat on the throne, she also demonstrated a truly terrible knack for rulership of a land where the customs, governmental structures, etc. were all foreign to her.

Which, by the way, is exactly what awaits her in Westeros. A Targaeryan she may be, but the Targaeryans have been out of power for almost an entire generation. She could step into the existing power structure, but that whole "I want to break the wheel" thing? That makes zero sense in this world, at least if she proposes to institute self-rule/representative government. It's not in the books, either. Now, if that's from Martin's material in Book 6, we'll see if he can develop that further, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just the showrunners putting modernist sensibilities into the mouth of their character, without real regard for how her world works.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back