Galaxy of Terror Pistol - Found !

Congratulations. I've always been fond of Galaxy of Terror. Despite the budget I thought they did a great job creating the world, and the cast was very entertaining. I read somewhere that James Cameron was in charge of the art direction, and Bill Paxton worked on the film as a carpenter.
The design and costumes where what hooked me at a kid. James Cameron did indeed work on the project. The Skotek brothers also worked on the visual effects and props. The blue hue in filming the alien outside scenes are a prequel to Cameron's Terminator film in 1984. I think he took the look of the filming and had Galaxy of Terror in mind when he filmed the future war scenes in Terminator. I think Galaxy of Terror influenced a lot in filming at the time. Some of the props and costumes were used in later films - Creature and Forbidden World. There will be a post with pictures upcoming.
Screenshot RPF1.jpg

The design and costumes where what hooked me at a kid. James Cameron did indeed work on the project. The Skotek brothers also worked on the visual effects and props. The blue hue in filming the alien outside scenes are a prequel to Cameron's Terminator film in 1984. I think he took the look of the filming and had Galaxy of Terror in mind when he filmed the future war scenes in Terminator. I think Galaxy of Terror influenced a lot in filming at the time. Some of the props and costumes were used in later films - Creature and Forbidden World. There will be a post with pictures upcoming.
I hadn't made that connection (the similarity between the Morganthus scenes and the future war scenes in Terminator) but now that you have pointed it out I see it. I did notice the re-use of the Galaxy of Terror props, sets and costumes in Forbidden World, something Corman is infamous for. The main character's space ship in Forbidden World was stolen from Battle Beyond the Stars - probably Corman's most frequently cannibalized movie.

Last edited:
The pistols were used in "Creature" (1985), but with the rear pod removed.

David.
I guess now I have a good excuse to re-watch Creature. I picked up the Vinegar Syndrome blu-ray with a new 4k transfer from the original camera negative, which looks fantastic. Also came with a director's cut which I haven't watched yet.

Looking at the movie on Youtube, there appears to be at least one hero gun with a metal barrel. I wonder how many were made?

So cool to have such a clear look at this prop. I hope they took more care with the packing than it appears.
It was well packed - I just did not want bore everyone with the complete unboxing. Heritage packed it well enough to survive a three story package drop. Shipped by FEDEX - insured and signed for.
20231028_101859.jpg
20231028_101637.jpg

I guess now I have a good excuse to re-watch Creature. I picked up the Vinegar Syndrome blu-ray with a new 4k transfer from the original camera negative, which looks fantastic. Also came with a director's cut which I haven't watched yet.
What is the Vinegar Syndrome?

To me and my untrained eye, it looks very reminiscent of Buck Rogers, BattleStar Galactica, “V”, a little Star Trek/Wars, … I can see the appeal for this weapon.

What is the Vinegar Syndrome?
My apologies - they are a small boutique studio that buys the rights to films they believe have been neglected by the big studios, which would in all probability never see physical media or would receive the minimal effort resulting in an inferior release. They do excellent work, in most cases completing a brand new high resolution digital transfer from the original film elements resulting in a superior blu ray or 4k release. They usually compile a lot of extra material and have new art and a slipcase. Of course it could be argued that some of their releases are lipstick on a pig - I've blind-bought the occasional stinker from them. Their work on Creature, though, was excellent.

My apologies - they are a small boutique studio that buys the rights to films they believe have been neglected by the big studios, which would in all probability never see physical media or would receive the minimal effort resulting in an inferior release. They do excellent work, in most cases completing a brand new high resolution digital transfer from the original film elements resulting in a superior blu ray or 4k release. They usually compile a lot of extra material and have new art and a slipcase. Of course it could be argued that some of their releases are lipstick on a pig - I've blind-bought the occasional stinker from them. Their work on Creature, though, was excellent.
Thank you for the response. They had an interesting selection. I grew up in the 70s and 80s. B-Movie Sci Fi is iconic for my generation. I appreciate the old works restored and enhanced. I wish they kept more footage from Galaxy of terror - the out takes - the SFX. And added them to a remastered blueray 4k. But sadly I don't know if the source material was kept by Roger Corman productions. They famously reused footage and props - but they did not treat them well. The Galaxy of Terror pistol was kept by someone in a small gun case for years - found it - and sold it at auction. Somehow - Greg Jein purchased it. Now I have it. I will add it to my collection. This piece will likely go to my daughter after I am gone. I will tell her the story of what it means to me and how it shaped my prop building and collecting. She is our family historian. The rest of my collection will likely be sold off. You can't take it with you. I have a vast collection. Most of it would mean nothing to anyone outside the hobby. Shame though. I also have an original "I come in peace" Alien blaster made out of a 9mm.
img_1842.jpg

Someone posted a picture of it on yourprops - maybe the previous owner.
But I have one in my collection exactly like this one.
Dark-Angel-Alien-Gun-1.jpg

What a fantastic collection! I Come In Peace is such enjoyable B movie goodness, and the practical effects for the gun were really impressive; I can "hear" that screenshot in my mind. It's great that your daughter can appreciate your collection. It's encouraging to think that our beloved sci fi could find a new audience.

On the subject of Galaxy of Terror, while it hasn't been released on 4K (yet - a man can dream) it was re-released a few years ago by Shout Factory in a steelbook case. The new release is a brand new transfer from the original film elements and looks much better than the old 2010 blu ray. It's out of print now though, so you would have to pay scalpers prices on eBay or Amazon to get your hands on a copy. They also re-released Battle Beyond the Stars and Forbidden World in steelbooks with new transfers at the same time. Forbidden World even includes a director's cut under the title Mutant. If you enjoy these movies as much as I do you should seek out the steelbooks.

What a fantastic collection! I Come In Peace is such enjoyable B movie goodness, and the practical effects for the gun were really impressive; I can "hear" that screenshot in my mind. It's great that your daughter can appreciate your collection. It's encouraging to think that our beloved sci fi could find a new audience.

On the subject of Galaxy of Terror, while it hasn't been released on 4K (yet - a man can dream) it was re-released a few years ago by Shout Factory in a steelbook case. The new release is a brand new transfer from the original film elements and looks much better than the old 2010 blu ray. It's out of print now though, so you would have to pay scalpers prices on eBay or Amazon to get your hands on a copy. They also re-released Battle Beyond the Stars and Forbidden World in steelbooks with new transfers at the same time. Forbidden World even includes a director's cut under the title Mutant. If you enjoy these movies as much as I do you should seek out the steelbooks.
Thanks for the heads up about the Steelbooks. I will be taking more pictures of this pistol when I get a chance to stage it properly. I started by repairing the barrel damage. I would like to find a machinist here on the RPF that might be able to cut me a hero barrel to replace the resin one. Some people would look at repairs as ruining the prop and its value. I see it as restoration. I will not change the flaws from the original - but repair broken parts etc. I am going to 3D print a replacement part for the broken rear hood. It is just a small corner. I am not repainting anything. Just maintaining it - preserving it.

I found Galaxy of Terror - and Forbidden World Steelbooks BLue-Ray - at a great price. There were copies going for outrageous prices on amazon - $ 74.00 - $164.00. Got mine on Ebay for about $ 24.00 each. Thank for the information. I know what I will be watching this weekend. I think this is a picture of the pistol when it was found for the last auction. It looked like it was protected in that gun case since the 1980's. I am trying to find a safety hard case to to put mine in. But at 18.5 inches - it is not easy to find one.

gunx.jpg

a62cc488512982220d8108dee7735a7ef1759a77_hq-5c47c09246e0fb0001ec349f.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back