Galactica nameplate decal - first attempt

That's just a photographic/video/compression artifact.

Just ask our own Mark Bradley, who restored the model in 1990:
PB2galactica02.jpg

PB2galactica03.jpg

PB2galactica01.jpg

lost of great pics here:
http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/Galactica/Galactica.htm

Yep, "PEGASUS" on the original miniature was black all right.

But I see he didn't use the correct typeface on the restoration... :unsure

Look at the "C"s, and the crossbar of the "T".

Original miniature, rectified to correct perspective distortion
galacticanameplatefontme7.jpg

- k

Last edited:
In his account of it (the link to it is dead now), he had something like a week to accomplish the restoration, including research, so it's not surprising if he had to cheat here and there. In 1990 ya couldn't whip up your own decals on a PC and print them out. ;)

Reportedly, years later it was restored again by (or for) its current owner, if that makes ya feel better. ;)

In his account of it (the link to it is dead now), he had something like a week to accomplish the restoration, including research, so it's not surprising if he had to cheat here and there. In 1990 ya couldn't whip up your own decals on a PC and print them out. ;)

Reportedly, years later it was restored again by (or for) its current owner, if that makes ya feel better. ;)

Yea..... after the current owner left the arc lights for the engines on too long and melted half the ROCOs and detail on the back end.

G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now wait just a... that proves it right there! PEGASUS is black all right, but GALACTICA is RED! :lol

Brick red or maroon! I'll be a son of a daggit. :$

nameplategalacticaredre4.jpg

Keep in mind that I'm not sure that the GALACTICA plate it original to the show- when I took possession of the model in 1990, that GALACTICA nameplate was glued on top of the PEGASUS nameplate (hense the damage). So that GALACTICA plate is from after the PEGASUS FX shots were done for Living Legend- either for further Galactica shots for season 1 or G80, or possibly even for when the model was put on display at the Universal Hollywood studio prior to it coming to Orlando.

Maybe some screen-cap wizard can make some comparisons to shots from G80?

Mark

An addendum to the the discussion-

After posting my pic and comparing to the previous screen caps of the pilot movie FX shots, I am starting to wonder if its possible that the nameplate I took off the big G in 1990 IS the original plate. I always assumed it wasn't, but now comparing the pics I'm starting to reconsider. Perhaps when the nameplate was removed to convert the model to the Pegasus, they modelmakers really did keep it safe, and glue it back on when they were done.

There isn't much to lock onto when comparing the two- all I've got is spacing, and placement of the letters higher or lower relative to each other, etc. Everything I can see matches up. Condidering everything was hand-made, you'd think that there would be SOME differences if it was a different plate.

What would help is if someone could get some screencaps of the nameplate in later BSG or G80 episodes if there were any.

Oh, and yes- upon closer examination, the G nameplate I have does have slightly reddish-brown lettering.

Mark

Last edited:
I made another stab at un-distorting the screen grab, and this happened

bradleyfettplatevsscreepw0.jpg

My un-distortion process is pretty basic... I just stretched the image in Photoshop by pulling the corners and skew handles, until it kind of matched up. I was not able to correct for curvature due to the camera lens or other factors. So the match does not seem perfect.

My most likely scenario is that Bradleyfett's is another copy made by the same process as the original plate seen in the Pilot show. Since these plates are glued to the miniature, perhaps the original "GALACTICA" plate was damaged when it was removed for the PEGASUS plate to be installed. So another copy of the GALACTICA plate was glued on top of PEGASUS.

Is the lettering on the GALACTICA plate printed, or is it Letraset or Chartpak dry transfer lettering? The red color makes me think it must have been printed, perhaps on a letterpress machine. Maybe there was a whole page of GALACTICA markings, and they were cut out and installed as needed. That would explain why the outer edge of the Bradleyfett plate doesn't seem to match the pilot screengrab.

- K

Last edited:
An addendum to the the discussion-

After posting my pic and comparing to the previous screen caps of the pilot movie FX shots, I am starting to wonder if its possible that the nameplate I took off the big G in 1990 IS the original plate. I always assumed it wasn't, but now comparing the pics I'm starting to reconsider. Perhaps when the nameplate was removed to convert the model to the Pegasus, they modelmakers really did keep it safe, and glue it back on when they were done.

There isn't much to lock onto when comparing the two- all I've got is spacing, and placement of the letters higher or lower relative to each other, etc. Everything I can see matches up. Condidering everything was hand-made, you'd think that there would be SOME differences if it was a different plate.

What would help is if someone could get some screencaps of the nameplate in later BSG or G80 episodes if there were any.

Oh, and yes- upon closer examination, the G nameplate I have does have slightly reddish-brown lettering.

Mark
Mark

A little OT, just wanted to know if you plan on doing any more work on the Studio Scale Buck Rogers Draconian Marauder?

Jim :confused

The nameplate font is Futura Demibold. The PDF files I posted earlier have the fonts vectorized, so they will print at any resolution. If you have Illustrator or something to edit vector PDFs, you can extract the lettering and resize or recolor or do what you want with it.

But I don't have a free version of the font, sorry.

- k

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back