Fully Functional MultiPass Build Up

madmanmoe64

I have been getting annoyed recently because I have about 5 different RFID cards in my Wallet.

Debit card
Oyster card (London Transport)
Brighton Bus Card
University ID
Even my passport has one

Someone should get around to combining all of these into one card.

Then it occurred to me that that's what a Multipass is.

For anyone who doesn't know what RFID is
dscf7963l.jpg

It's one of these, a small chip and antenna that is embedded in a card to allow you to just touch your id card to pay for things, use transport or get into your building.

Anyway I figured that it would be cool to turn my multipass into a card holder So that I could use it to pay for stuff or borrow library books etc.

dscf7897d.jpg

The pass it almost exactly the right width to fit a standard sized card, unfortunately it doesn't allow the card to fit in all the way.

dscf7898y.jpg

If I do some fiddling with the LED then I can fit it in a bit further, only a bit of overhang.

dscf7899e.jpg

If I somehow(gap in logic) hollow out that ribbed section it will fit perfectly.

So I reckoned it was worth a try and went ahead and started cutting.
dscf7900e.jpg

dscf7901k.jpg

dscf7902f.jpg

The card will infringe on the LED the ribbed section and the battery compartment (of course it's still gonna light up) I've made good progress on solving all 3 issues but haven't photographed those yet.

More later.

First problem to tackle is the LED, pretty simply I took a dremel wheel to it, cut it in half, then sanded it down to almost 2mm thick.
dscf7948s.jpg

I kept cutting away at the inside, trying to make room for one of these tiny surface mount LEDs
dscf7954u.jpg

I then glued it down to the back of the hollowed out LED and soldered two wires in place.
dscf7950.jpg

And now I have a nice thin LED that won't get in the way of my cards.
dscf7960.jpg

It looks more red really, but it was tricky trying to take that pic and I gave up trying to colour balance.

As for the ribbed section, I made a mould of one of the ribbed pieces of styrene and cast a copy with a very thin layer of urethane resin.
dscf7956c.jpg

After some light sanding to even it out, I was able to get it surprisingly thin.
dscf7958m.jpg

Whilst I was making progress with this approach I decided that next I'm going to try and cast both sides of the ribbed styrene as one piece, to make it more sturdy.

I've also been working on making the button compartment twist off, but I can't make much more progress 'till I finalise the ribbed section.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back