Fullers Earth: Where to Buy?

kman

I feel silly asking this, but I'm frustrated.

I've read numerous posts mentioning the various uses for Fullers Earth, over the years, and have a project in motion where I think it'll be just the ticket.

But searching on Amazon gets me mostly fancy (and tiny) make-up grade stuff, and almost entirely in a very light color.

But I've seen darker shades available. (for instance: Trooperbay Fullers Earth Weathering Powder Combo )

But I want more than tiny little 1 oz packets, and I'd prefer packaging that's more robust. (something solid, with a lid?)

Any tips?

Diatomaceous earth isn't quite the same thing as Fuller's earth, though they have similar uses. Fuller's earth is an aluminum silicate clay, while Diatomaceous earth is more of a silica clay made from microscopic plants called diatoms. Both are used as adsorbent, in things like kitty litter or filtration systems.

Here is a good breakdown:
Fullers Earth, Clays, Fuller's Earth, and Sorbent Materials - Fuller's Earth, attapulgite, palygorskite.

Regardless, both can be had from FX supply houses, or bulk mineral suppliers.

This is a random supplier I found:
Fullers Earth - Hollywood Expendables
https://www.filmtools.com/fullersearth.html

Never knew there was a difference. Thanks for the info. Diatomaceous earth can also be found at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-mart etc. in the gardening section. A bag that would last you multiple lifetimes costs about $10.

Thanks for the tips!

Yes, I did know diatomaceous earth isn't the same. Lots of places to get that, I know.
Differences Between Fuller's Earth & Diatomaceous Earth

Todd's doesn't carry FE. (anymore?)

I've seen FE on eBay, of course, but wasn't sure which to get. And I still haven't found another source for the colored variety that TrooperBay offers. :(

I might grab some from Hollywood Expendables (linked above), since they're local. That would only be one color, though.

Just don’t breathe it. It tears up your lungs something fierce! Had to stop using it on movie sets for dust effects.

Last edited:
Think we bought ours in a health food store, wasn't too expensive. Only thing to remember is it absorbs all kinds of moisture so great if you want to kill bugs or creepy things but not good for pets and definitely don't breathe it in.

For weathering couldn't you use something like flour and super glue to add a kind of furry texture to things, I remember Adam Savage uses it as a kicker for super glue and uses it when he wants an additive to the thing he's gluing so he has a kind of rough texture to something.

Just a to correct / clarify.

1) Fullers Earth is Sodium Benotite Clay. It is also known as "Indian Healing Clay". I bought the giant tub in the picture on the Amazons for about $10. Take a few tablespoons of the stuff and throw it into an old sock (no holes please) and then tie the the sock off. Congratulations you have just constructed your very own Fullers Earth application device.

IMG_4520.jpeg
IMG_4522.jpeg
IMG_4523.jpeg

2) You can use Sodium Bicarbonate aka Bicarbonate of Soda aka Baking Soda aka the stuff you use to keep your fridge from smelling funny... as a kicker for superglue, not flour. Sprinkle a little bit onto the joint to almost instantly set CA glue... As mentioned you can also use it to add texture and strength...

IMG_4521.jpeg

Yeah, I would stay away from fullers if I could. What are you trying to weather down?

I was planning to add grime and weathering to some prop guns, and set it / seal it after application. Also weathering for soft pieces (cloth costume stuff) Now I'm probably going to look into other options, though.

Sorry I'm late to the discussion - I worked in the FE-Sorbent clay industry for 30 years. Depending on your choice of pets, you may have a bag or two of FE sitting around the house - cat litter. There's basically two types of bentonite clay cat litter - Southern and Western. Or, if you are looking at "natural" litters, the ones that have no fragrances, colors, bactericides, clumping agents, etc (100% clay), then the Southern bentonite clays are about half the density of the Western bentonites. It's just a matter of sodium (W) or calcium (S) included in the clay structure. Plus, the Western clay turns into a slimy goo when it gets wet, while the Southern clay sucks up water and more or less stays as intact granules.

Enough of that - pick up an old blender at a thrift shop, get some "natural" clay cat litter and blend away until you get a fine enough powder. I'd use a dust mask just to be safe. You will have the best shot using the non-clumping type litter - the coarse stuff - these are the cheapest and generally are free from additives.

Some of the lightweight coarse litters on the US West Coast are indeed DE. I'm not sure grinding them up in a blender would be as good an idea, but unless you are "dusting" an entire room that you will live in and take reasonable precautions applying the stuff, it would probably work well enough. One last thought - the color of these clay products varies from very light grey to buff or tan. One other source might be a clay oil-absorbent granule material - like what they throw on the race trace when a car blows and engine. But therre are so many cat owners out there, you ought to be able to find some. Just don't try this with "used" cat litter - I don't think that you'll be as happy with the finished product.

David

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back