From Knights of the Old Republic...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Hermes, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Hermes

Hermes Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It´s somewhat old, and I didn´t even want to post it on the RPF, considering the amount of great work here, but looking at a thread with "props that eluded you" someone there posted something about Darth Revan´s Lightsaber.

Though I haven´t made his Saber, I made his suit, and I´d like to share with you, RPF. I hope you like it, and I´m here to answer to any inquiry about it.

The first picture is the only reference I had to make that costume besides a full frontal picture of his Helmet, and that was about it, so I had to go from there.

I think some pictures are dark, but there´s one taken with the flash that shows more details of the suit. Again, I´m here to reply to any question about it, should there be anyone who wishes to make it.

And about the pictures, thank you, Wackychimp.

Hermes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Hey awsome revan is my favorit jedi/sith of all time.. the costume seems a bit diffrent then i remember it, but thats just me not trying to be rude or anything. but other then that I love it great work..

3. Hermes

Gundam, as I told you, I had only that picture for reference, specially because i´m not into gaming, then I never saw him moving.... I hope it didn´t stray TOO far.:) That´s the RPF - helping me out.:):)

4. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

:thumbsup :thumbsup :D

5. darcjedi

darcjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the shoulder armor you have on there is actually just part of the cape on the in game model, and i think the chest piece is supposed to just be a leather like material, that being said, nice job for the limited reference material you had. if i would have known someone was attempting this costume, i would have shared this render i made by getting the model into 3dsmax and ripping it apart to see all the different views

http://www.darcjedi.com/kotor/model%20rend...all%20views.jpg

-Jeff

6. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...very cool.

7. Hermes

Dear Lord, Jeff.. I´ll bear that in mind when and IF I make that again - and the armor is a leather-like material, it just doesn´t show in the pictures, it´s not as textured as I thought the camera would pick up.

I was WAY off then.... oh, well, can someone remove this topic? :lol

Should I have known the RPF had reference material on that, I`d have picked that up, but it was almost too clear that it was a big shoulder armor.....

oh, the horror....

8. Dreadmel

Dreadmel New Member

Dang, that looks great :thumbsup :thumbsup

9. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Thanks for posting that darcjedi, i might have to try my hand at a revan costume now that i have that link to go on. :D

10. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

I think it looks awesome. Very brave of you to do that costume with such limited reference material. Bravo.

11. darcjedi

well i hope i didnt come off sounding THAT critical... i think its a great costume, btu if you decide to do it over... you can make it even better :)

i also have renders of a lot of the other characters in that folder, like the sith troopers, tuskens, malak, and i cant remember what else.

http://www.darcjedi.com/kotor/model%20renders/

-Jeff

12. Hermes

No, Jeff. Not at all:) I´m very happy that you folks from the RPF liked it, I´ve got more stuff to show.... Lately I haven´t been posting my stuff or tooting my own horn because I´ve been out of the costuming loop for myself, only for others. Which means, only Jedi Suits, which, though very satisfying, don´t leave me much time to pursue other things.

Other thing - I would very much like to assist anyone who wishes to make that suit, for I gained a lot of knowledge from it, and it could prove useful to other people here on the RPF.

Thank you guys so much, it is truly a great thing when one sees one´s work fully recognized, and only here on the RPF I could attain the degree of satisfaction with it and myself that I intended in the first place.

13. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

awww jeff what are you doing to me. now i am kicking around a sith trooper helmet idea also :D the pictures are great.. so much detail can be seen leading to ideas.. of "i think i can do this"

LordJossis likes this.
  14. The Clone Emperor

The Clone Emperor Well-Known Member

Great to hear from you Hermes. You have been missed.

Really nice craftsmanship on your Lord Revan. I am very glad you thought to share this again, as I think many people benefit from such a post.

My best to you and Alessandra,
    Thomas

15. Hermes

Thank you so much, Thomas. I can´t describe how I feel, considering YOU´re complimenting me. I actually hope people benefit from this post, even with a blatant mistake on the shoulder pads, but then again, as the folks said, I couldn´t have known. However, the rest of the suit was relatively painless to make, and then I could lend a hand specially to Gundam Zeppelin, who seems to want one.

It was a relatively simple suit to make, specially the undersuit (which is a very long shirt, like a priest´s vest, but with some catches, and what else? The Helmet was sort of fudged, due to lack of reference, the front is almost accurate, but the back is fudged:)

Well, I still have the plans I used to make it, if you wish, Zeppelin.

May the Force be with you all.

Hermes.

16. darcjedi

Gundam, here is some concept art from the kotor web site that i think is even cooler than the finished model... i especially like the second one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in addition to a sith trooper, i would also like to have a kotor era tusken. i love the big canister breather thing the masks have on them :)

17. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Saved both i might just put my vader helmets on hold for this, or maybe i should start with revan he is easyer i cant make up my mind.. the only thing i know for sure is i need more money if i want to do ether helmet
    :D

18. DarthZairr

DarthZairr New Member

hey just wondering how did you make the mask?

19. Hermes

OK - I had some synthetic leather-like material, but with a very fine grain, in red and black. So I printed out the face which was the only thing remaining in my reference that I didn´t post here (I.E - I deleted it). And then I drew the planes that made up the mask. I came to the conclusion that the face mask was easily done in a sturdy cardboard, and then I went for it, with all the reliefs existent in the original facemask.

The upper part was a trick, for since I didn´t have any reference, and couldn´t find, I supposed that no one would discredit me if I just fudged it, so I designed an upper part and the side parts that were to be beneath the hood.

Now we have a facemask and a design, but nothing to build it with, so I picked up EVA foam and made a helmet out of it, in very much the same shape as Revan´s helmet, and then I covered it in the same leather-like material and added a lens made out of a soda bottle, with window film, and there it is, a VERY lightweight, sturdy and beautiful Lord Revan Helmet.

I still have the designs if you wish.

Hermes.

20. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

The only thing I would do is darken your reds...in case no one pointed it out. It looks more ominous as a deep crimson.

21. Hermes

Absolutely. They are painted in real life - a wash of blue acrylics over this red, but the flash absolutely .... er... washed away the blue, and the red was there in all its intense glory....

There is a picture without flash here, let me see...

Here, I hope it can be seen...

NO excuse, though, I had to have darkened it much more, but it wasn´t SO bad once you see what it really looks like:)

22. DarthZairr

DarthZairr New Member

23. Hermes

Can do. Can I send them to you tomorrow? I have to rummage through my designs folder and it´s not in the computer, it´s an actual folder with reference pictures I drew.

24. DarthZairr

DarthZairr New Member

Sure i have got plenty of time, i think now i have decided to make a revan costume for myself(wanted to when the game came out but i did not have a lot of costuming experice) maybe if my funds work out i will be attending dragoncon this year as darth revan.

25. Immortal Goat

Immortal Goat Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have to say, I kinda like the shoulder armor idea, even if it isn't accurate. Maybe it's because I love Vader so much, and he had shoulder armor, too, but I kinda think that a Sith Lord such as Revan WOULD have worn shoulder armor. Although, I didn't really view his costume as a crimson. I always thought it was such a dark red that it bordered on black. That's just me, though.

All in all, very nice. I hope you continue to work on this and improve it, because it is a very nice piece of work.

26. Hermes

Zairr, any sort of assistance I can give you, count on me - add me to your MSN if you wish - mine is lin_si_tar@hotmail.com.

Immortal, that was sort of my reasoning - but I also got mixed up because of a picture I had of him straight up front that showed that which Darcjedi proved as a cape in a fashion that I was quite sure it was a shoulder armor, so I sort of went from there. No fancy materials whatsoever in that armor, though. I had a very short amount of time and the guy who ordered it from me was getting restless, so I made it out of industrial strength board (a kind of non-corrugated, heavy cardboard, but THICK, and sturdy almost like a wooden board), and covered it in the same synthetic leather-like material I used for the facemask and helmet. Once it was covered, I just layered it, with the care of having the lowermost layer without the board, instead I used a thick rubbery insulation foam, that retained its shape, though soft enough not to hurt the wearer. Since they had similar textures, it worked as a charm.

As for continuing, I´d have to build another from scratch, for I had it shipped to its owner as soon as I finished it, BUT this Darth Revan character sort of grew on me, and now with the pictures provided by DarcJedi, if anyone here wishes, I´d gladly do it over again. Thank you for your kind words, and I hope I haven´t just filled your screen with inane babble.

Thank you very much, folks. If any of you guys wishes to point out any other thing, I´m here to tell you how it was made.

27. DarthZairr

DarthZairr New Member

i belive that this project will be the most stressfull yet. because i am a man of purfection. i wish i can show you guys some of my costumes and props but i do not have a decint digital camra and i have no idea how to use photobucket. (sigh) maybe one day i can figure the d@mn thing, Lin-Si-Tar i thank you for all the help you are will to give me thanks again Zairr

28. LordJossis

LordJossis Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

you should see my build thread! (If tyou havent already) its a sith trooper build!