Fred Pred Custom - Update 19/04/13 - Longest Journey Ever!

Thats coming along really well. Can I make a suggestion? Try bring the eye brow line down at more of an angle to make a 'V' shape between the eyes. Also add some wrinkles around the nose area and blend into upper lip so it gives the impression that its snarling at you.

Here's something that helped me. Look in a mirror, imagine your are wearing your mask and what you want it to look like by snarling/ being angry at yourself (yes, I'm telling you to pull faces at yourself lol and no I haven't gone mad!). Look at how your skin 'wrinkles' around the nose area, between the eye brow etc and then take into consideration the angle of your eye brows.

If needed take a picture or two, then reflect what you have seen into your sculpt. The technique isn't brilliant but its good for a start.

Hope this helps bud and nice work so far. Keep it up

There's a highly unrefined schematic in my head which is me high fiving people on Halloween for having such a bad ass suit!

Seriously though, I haven't really got a plan for him so it is all improv. As I haven't really got any sculpting skills I don't really want to make a plan as if I can't replicate then I'll end up getting pissed off. So it is all really generally looking at forms on here and random sculpting tutorials on youtube. If i do something I like then I work it for a bit and see how it turns out. If it doesn't work then i start again!

There's a highly unrefined schematic in my head which is me high fiving people on Halloween for having such a bad ass suit!

Seriously though, I haven't really got a plan for him so it is all improv. As I haven't really got any sculpting skills I don't really want to make a plan as if I can't replicate then I'll end up getting pissed off. So it is all really generally looking at forms on here and random sculpting tutorials on youtube. If i do something I like then I work it for a bit and see how it turns out. If it doesn't work then i start again!
Hey man, you have the right idea of studying other's work and using the tools of the internet to progress in your work. I am constantly looking at tut's and images and such to get my ideas. I will hopefully soon be getting all my materials also. I wanted to order my clay last week but ran out of money do to bills, so I will be saving up for that and other things.

I do have my lazy susan, and ordered my mannequin head yesterday (which I got a really good deal on). So... slowly but certainly I will be among the fresh bloods on here and join the creative community of mask and Bio makers. Hopefully down the road I will be making suits too.

you are on the right track, keep in mind this sort of sculpt is very tricky look at the thread in masks and look at all the other heads and then go to sketches and drawings and look at the jailers drawings. soak all that in , print out some pics and i am sure you will do what i did change alot of it. keep in mind this is supposed to be fun not a total pain in the ass!
the brow on him looks just fine by the way.

So it's been a few weeks and I've made some more progression. I was looking at the photos of SW looking at the P2 sculpts and surprise surprise, ripped off all the lower mandible of Fred and decided to have a redesign. I won't bore you all with the intermediate photos but instead have gone for a before and after pointing out the differences.
Before and After.jpg

As usual, feedback is very much greatly appreciated!

Thanks for looking

Giles

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another update, I'm starting with the detailing. My newest technique for smoothing is "Seat of your Pants" keep an eye out of the huntorial lol

Anyway as ever feel free to pass judgement/comment as I want this to look as good as I can make it with my current skills. I think I might be on target for an end of March finish, though whatever happens I need him to be cast by the end of May due a house move!
2 2012-03-19 22.09.19.jpg

3 2012-03-19 22.09.44.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Yep so as I expected another deadline has passed I am still a while from completing. Luckily the house move went fine and I didn't cause too much damage in the process. I took the plunge and bought the video stream for " Sculpture Techniques - Texture and Forms" by Don Lanning on Stan Winston School, I have to say it's $19.99 well spent for 3 hours of tutorial. Anyway, a little update, as always feedback is appreciated as long as it is constructive.

Two pictures this time, I'm only working one side and have included a picture with the P1 stunt bio on for size comparison.

Cheers for viewing.

ps I hope i've made the photos small enough this time.

20120728_172127small.jpg

20120728_172339small.jpg

So yet another update, does it count as a necro thread if you are reviving one of your own?! lol  Anyway, been hitting it with my new texture stamp, a rolled up piece of aluminium foil.  I like the effect, not too even and scaly.  A pic below, as usual comments welcome.

20130221_214243.jpg

So back on it and had a bit more of a burst. Still evening the two sides up, the left side of the face I am happy with, the right not so much. Now I am posting the photos the dread hole placement is awful on the right temple and the right cheek doesn't have the same naturalness to it that the left side does so that will require a bit of reworking. I also want to redo the mouth, I was much happer with one of my earlier attempts.

My main concern is the crown. I have started some wrinkle detail across the brow which I am very happy witth, although I do not know what to do for the rest of the crown. I am open to suggestions so please fire away. Also I haven't moved onto smoothing, final fine details. As ever be critical, just make it constructive. PS this doesn't fit any Bio's so a custom one would have to be made.
20130418_200158.jpg

20130418_200128.jpg

20130419_071713.jpg

20130419_071740.jpg

The forehead wrinkles look great, you just need to carry them on up and then kriss kross them as you go out to the edges of the crown.

The only thing that jumps out at me ( as you've mentioned stuff ) is it looks like you are going for a closed mandibles look, if so his mouth looks too open ( in my opinion)

but every pred is different . keep them updates a coming . :) 

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back