Found Babylon 5 prop

19narvik40

Sr Member
I am a very happy little Centauri these days. A good friend of mine alerted me to a decanter he saw at a local Value Village. When he sent me photos I persuaded him to grab one for me. I later returned and purchased the second one as well. There was a scene in the Season 2 episode 'Knives' where Londo opens his safe to remove some vintage brivari in preparation for a visit from his good and dear friend Urza Jaddo. I compared several images and screencaps and I am certain I have a copy the same decanter used in that episode. There is a decoration on the left side of the decanter's metal top which I am going to draw out in the hopes of getting it turned into a 3D drawing that can be 3D printed. I will attach the decoration to my decanter to match the one in the episode. It will take pride of place in my tiny Babylon 5 replica prop collection.
20210321_154117.jpg

Londo's best.JPG

babylon5-217_0220.jpg

Bottle find.jpg

babylon5-217_0382enlargedMarked.jpg

The decanter stands approximately 13 3/4 inches (35 cms) tall and the glass base is approximately 5 1/2 inches (14 cms) across. The silver plated top is 3 inches (7.5 cms) across not including the spout. The decanter by itself is quite heavy, too heavy for my small scale which will weight items up to 2 kilograms. My thoughts of making it available to anyone were quickly put to rest as the shipping cost was going to be very high.
SAM_6007Resize.jpg

SAM_6009Resize.jpg

SAM_6010Resize.jpg

There is a plastic insert, presumably to hold ice to cool the contents of the decanter although I cannot see it in the decanter from the episode. There are what appears to be calcium build up inside the top as well as the lid. I cannot remove the top and I think it is due to a similar build up in the grooves of the screw of the glass or the top. I have tried using vinegar to dissolve the buildup but it did not work. I am open to suggestions on how to remedy this, please feel free to suggest an alternative.

I had posted my find on a few FB Babylon 5 pages and was appoached by a lady in a neighboring city, She wanted the second decanter and we came to terms with me meeting a friend in my city on his way to see the lady and her hubby up north which solved the issue of how to get it to her without the major issue of mailing it. Safe to say they were very pleased with the decanter. Her husband has the Dining Aboard Babylon 5 cookbook. In the Centauri section there was a recipe to duplicate brivari which he followed and poured into the decanter in celebration of its arrival. I'm told it is quite delicious and I must try it myself once I solve the issue of the stuck top. You can Google 'recipe for brivari' to find how to make your own.
Diningonb5_Cover.jpg
169303204_10158797398540733_3191957568849448966_n.jpg

169565796_10158797398150733_8544277247313252924_n.jpg

I will post updates as the project making the decoration proceeds.

Is the insert sealed or vented? If it is solid, then it is for ice to cool the contents without diluting the beverage. If it is vented, then it is probably an infuser. You would put fruit, or spices into the infuser to add to the beverage.

David.

Is the insert sealed or vented? If it is solid, then it is for ice to cool the contents without diluting the beverage. If it is vented, then it is probably an infuser. You would put fruit, or spices into the infuser to add to the beverage.

David.
It is solid. I hadn't thought about a vented one but it does make a lot of sense. Thank you for mentioning that.

This is my drawing of the decoration, or at least as good as I could make it. I wasn't able to find any larger or clearer images and the detail was a bit fuzzy on the one I did have. I would very much to have it drawn up already curved to fit the top and then have it printed the same way.
Decanter decoration.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back