Forgotten more than I remembered, and trying new things. Looking for input. :)

Keycube

Hi all,

Out of plastic modeling since forever, but nostalgia has me wanting to enter a car into our county fair next year. Inexperience, fear, and a desire to be different has me experimenting on a test car (Mustang GT500) instead of my beloved Lamborghini Countach.

For reasons of smell, cleanup, availability, and just wanting to do something different (and thus taking some of the pressure off), I thought I would try these acrylic craft paints. They didn’t need to be thinned, and were nice to apply.

One caveat: I only mixed enough of this unique colour for one coat, and I admit it wasn’t an accident - I thought flats could be brushed on in one coat (as I child, I surely wasn’t patient enough for otherwise). So this will be the only application for this reddish colour (the molded colour is the pale green). I applied multiple “coats” only in spots where things started to seem transparent after semi-drying (After watching a few videos and being set straight, I will do better going forward).

That said, what do you think?

I’m pretty pleased thus far. Has anyone used these paints, and if so, what has been your results?

Thanks for any input!

Robert

Attachments

• 9303C3D2-665E-4626-9EF2-49FCD2FE9B5E.jpeg
    9303C3D2-665E-4626-9EF2-49FCD2FE9B5E.jpeg
    988.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 414B6F14-4273-416A-99E4-F35582298C5E.jpeg
    414B6F14-4273-416A-99E4-F35582298C5E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Looking good. I've used those paints extensively for non-model work- some go on just fine in 1 coat, others need multiple. There really isn't a pattern. Some yellows can be 1 coat and done, other yellows need several. They are inexpensive paints that can give great results. Beware the glossy ones though, they can go on splotchy and the reflectivity can be uneven.

It looks like you got good coverage

That being said, you might find it frustrating in the long run

At the very least, those paints would really benefit from at least a primer coat to help with coverage/adhesion

I know you mentioned smell and availability being issues

as far availability, you could use cheap spray can paint from Walmart/Home Depot etc... using a color close to your desired base color, then brush on the craft paints might make it easier

The smell can't be helped, but you could spray outdoors

Doing car bodies though you might find it tough to get a smooth glossy type finish if that is what you are going for. You will; have more success with some colors than others, white and yellow being some of the hardest to hide brush strokes

I don't really mean to discourage your efforts, but at least wanted to point out there may be a simpler way, or at least something to help make it easier

However, there are also techniques that can be used for brush painting to help minimize the brush strokes if you prefer to stick to just brush painting. Usually doing multiple very thin coats rather than one thick one helps, but that also will work better over a primer coat closer to your desired color rather than over bare plastic

For example, here is a pretty good sample of achieving a very nice finish without an airbrush that looks like it could have been airbrushed

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back