Force Awakens Prop Falcon at SWCA...FM?

There were a lot of ships built for the prequels. I don't know the actual names (cause I don't like the prequels) but, federation tanks, droid transports, the 4 winged transport ships, the big round blockade ships, Naboo cruiser, Naboo fighters, pod races, the corvette at the beginning of ep 1, and I don't remember what else.

The prequel models were all beautiful. Maybe if ILM still had a full moelshop and/or Kerner will still about they'd be going that route for some shots.

I agree. In my opinion, Ep. I was technically the best episode. The models were awesome, and the landscapes were lovely.

Do we know how they used the ship models for the prequels? Certainly not for the same purpose as the OT.

BTW, I just picked up the blue rays so in a couple weeks I'm gonna take two days off and marathon the whole thing.

The prequel models were all beautiful. Maybe if ILM still had a full moelshop and/or Kerner will still about they'd be going that route for some shots.

Too bad they don't do really nice models just for the eye candy buzz and marketing appeal. They must know that fans go nuts over stuff like that.

Well, they know that licensees will do all that for them. So much nice stuff is available nowadays.
It is a shame. Making movies is ultimately about getting the job done on budget and on time, with as little fuss and wastage as possible. Unfortunately, making models purely for fans to drool over is never gonna be part of that process.

Last edited:
Do we know how they used the ship models for the prequels? Certainly not for the same purpose as the OT.

BTW, I just picked up the blue rays so in a couple weeks I'm gonna take two days off and marathon the whole thing.
If you pick up Star Wars 365 it's a very good overview of all the films from john knolls pov for PT and his access to ILM staff for the OT . At that stage they didn't have enough digital storage space for large objects like cities, droid capital ships etc, I think he mentioned render times as well, so they decided which were better as traditionally shot element and built models for those shots, even the pod race digital elements were mostly 2d elements and models, the ships were digital scans of physical models .

If you pick up Star Wars 365 it's a very good overview of all the films from john knolls pov for PT and his access to ILM staff for the OT . At that stage they didn't have enough digital storage space for large objects like cities, droid capital ships etc, I think he mentioned render times as well, so they decided which were better as traditionally shot element and built models for those shots, even the pod race digital elements were mostly 2d elements and models, the ships were digital scans of physical models .
I have that book and those models they did were probably the best they ever did. They were essentially the back grounds for the bluescreens, instead of matte paintings.

But if I recall, most of those models were of scenery, not ships. Did they use the ships for digital captures?

I have that book and those models they did were probably the best they ever did. They were essentially the back grounds for the bluescreens, instead of matte paintings.

But if I recall, most of those models were of scenery, not ships. Did they use the ships for digital captures?
the droid control ship was built as a modular model that could be split , and control sphere and antenna added or taken away for depicting control or standard ships , it could be split for different shots interior approach by a akin, the Jedi blockade runner was a practical model shot in a practical hanger, pod racers built as practical , drop ship base with large model of disembarking mtt were practical models ( this is one I'd like to build, love the colour and ageing )

Here's some model shots, I forgot the 10 foot Mylar covered queen ship

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 107
Well, they know that licensees will do all that for them. So much nice stuff is available nowadays.
It is a shame. Making movies is ultimately about getting the job done on budget and on time, with as little fuss and wastage as possible. Unfortunately, making models purely for fans to drool over is never gonna be part of that process.

Quite right. Those days seem to be long gone. Shame that a useful reason to do nice models can't be incorporated into the process somehow.

While it is true that Licensees will fill the demand to a degree that still leaves a question as to the accuracy which rabid drooling fans will be all over.

So... Long live upgrade kits!

It depends who is at the helm I guess. Some value models as point of reference more than others. VFX as a dept are so powerful now, that we'll never return to the glory days of in-camera miniatures.They are still scanning models though, anything that helps VFX with their processes. Not sure how long that will go on for. And 3D printing stuff (YAWN) ;-)

They're still using in camera miniatures. Not nearly as much as I would like, but it's still being done. One of the main reasons a lot of effects are done digitally, is because most of the vfx supervisor work for digital effects houses, so why would they recommend a technique that is going to take money out of their pockets.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back