Force Awakens Prop Falcon at SWCA...FM?

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Shingouki28, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Shingouki28

Shingouki28 Well-Known Member

I'm not imagining it am I? This Falcon model on display at SWCA is a FineMolds isn't it? Note the jawbox shape, flat turret sides etc
    tumblr_nmx0dxrylA1s1xa0lo6_1280.jpg

2. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Yep it's the FM......which is based on the 32" stunt Falcon,,,,,all images of the Force Awakens Falcon are based on the 5 footer ,....so this model is completely wrong,.......

......well apart for the dish

J

3. Timmythekid

Timmythekid Sr Member

Yeah, I'm definitely no expert, have never owned one, but the weird cockpit tube immediately jumped out at me as being the FM kit.

4. FZ6

FZ6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's possible to get this shot bigger?

I can't find it...

5. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Of course, if they did use this as a filming miniature and it is the Fine Molds kit, that would make the Fine Molds kit canon!

Well, apart from the dish. :D

6. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just one of many done up for conceptualizing.

Laser Brain likes this.
  7. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

A bunch of the FM Falcons and resin castings were built by the art department to work out the 1:1 set build and possible changes/upgrades for the EPVII Falcon. This is just one of around 10 various quick sketch models.

Sym-Cha and Shingouki28 like this.
  8. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, from day 1 everything was designed from a 32" ESB model (as far as the art department was concerned). This changed over time. Set dec did what they wanted using the greeblies they could source... and VFX went (mostly) with the ANH model in the end as ILM had a great digital asset of it.

9. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Well I'm glad they did Vos as the 32" is half the size and detail of the original Falcon

I think fans would have been upset that the real Falcon wasn't used for the CG render

J

10. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

I'm well aware of the size of the 32" Falcon in relation to the ANH. I'm betting I'm not the only one who prefers it though. The ANH model is a thing of beauty though.I'm glad those landing gear got fixed for Empire. ;-)

11. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

No problem Vos, I wasn't questioning your knowledge,....just happy & relieved that the SFX guys didn't use a model for reference that was hardly ever seen in the films without motion blur

J

Falk likes this.
  12. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

I know and fair enough, but the VFX guy's model in TFA will only ever be seen with motion blur, flying or twisting at full speed. All other shots will be determined by Art Dept, SFX, Construction and Set Dec due to their set build, which is neither 32" or 5'.

Only people on this kind of site will actually pause and analyse it frame by frame. That's what keeps it interesting! :) ... and everyone on their toes, trying to do things right.

All my favourite memories of the Falcon are of it twisting through the asteroids, on the back of a Star Destroyer or in the final Death Star 2 run and battle, not parked up or taking off in an awkward straight line. ;)

13. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Were you involved in the production Vos?

J

14. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Yes. Here and there.

15. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Cool,....that must have been a dream come true,...for me life couldn't get better than that!!!

......so.....in all honesty.....do you think the FM Falcon seen at the celebration was used on screen?

Would there be any use for the VFX guys to film such a tiny model?

J

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  16. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

I would say almost certainly not. I am a visual effects artist for a living, and miniature spaceships are simply not done anymore, and really haven't been done in over a decade except for the recent Interstellar. Almost every spacecraft you have seen in the past decade is a CG render. Models are built for conceptualizing, but very rarely for actual VFX shot work, again, Interstellar being the only notable exception I can think of.

17. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Glad to hear that
    J

18. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

Btw, if you guys do want some high res reference from the new teaser, Disney has uploaded some IMAX and 4K resolution stills from the trailer. Check it out...

http://imgur.com/a/srn9P

FZ6 likes this.
  19. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Ohhhhhh........lovely!!!!!

Thanks

J

20. Gungai1138

Gungai1138 New Member

Any comments on the quality of this model build?

I'll start: The rear landing gear are installed backwards. :)

21. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

22. Gungai1138

Gungai1138 New Member

Agreed, it was probably rushed due to time constraints. It's a great look behind the scenes.

It's just such such a stark contrast to seeing the amazing builds of the same model built by forum members here. There are tons of missing parts, rough paintjob etc.

Vos mentioned there were 10 other quick sketch models- I'd love to see more of those. And hear more tidbits like that...

23. swgeek

swgeek Sr Member

Not to derail the conversation, but... As far as spaceship models go, unfortunately you might be right, spaceship models aren't used much anymore. But, as far as other miniatures, for actual on screen VFX work, miniatures are still used.

Astro likes this.
  24. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Those are awesome pics, thanks, Jaitea.

Didn't even notice BB-8 in the new X-wing the first time around :)

Sym-Cha likes this.
  25. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

:) Absolutely not. They were just quick sketch models built for art department discussions/proof of concept. VFX have great digital assets of the Falcon.

Lots of Falcon models in various set ups were quickly built for meetings... sometimes with half a day notice and some went in the bin. The quickest option was to utilise the FM kit.

The X-Wing was also a very quick build... done as the drawings were still in flux, hence the lack of detail in places. This is one of two made. It looks like the armature might be shagged on this one though. Shame.

We really wish that we could have gone to town on the models and created assets like Lorne and his guys did back in the good old days, but those times are gone. :-(

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  26. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Yep thats what I thought,...thanks Vos

J

27. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

No worries. :)

28. Astro

Astro New Member

To be honest this model took a fair amount of time to build and was rushed out for meetings etc. sadly things like landing gear get missed :(

29. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Cool,....were you the builder Astro?

Was the dish scratched up?

J

30. Astro

Astro New Member

yep

I have no idea about the dish :( i am guessing 3d printed

FZ6, moffeaton and Haystack Hair like this.
  31. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Very cool, Vos and Astro! I'm just saddened to hear that it's really the end of miniature ships for filming (actually I thought those props from John Carter made it on-screen). I was hoping for a combination of real models to complement the CGI because that's what Kathleen Kennedy promised as I read somewhere -- that they were bringing in real modelers. CGI makes the ships achieve movements not easily possible with real models but physical models make them look real. Plus they draw crowds to the exhibits -- just as the real 5-footer model does to this day. I wonder -- had the Hero Hasbro come out earlier -- would they have considered dressing one up. It would have been light enough to mount and film and cheap enough to bang up in crashes, etc.

32. DanielB

DanielB Sr Member

I love models, but I am ok with them not being used in VFX anymore. A CGI Millennium Falcon CAN be made to look 100% real, if you have the time and budget. Shoddy CG happens when a shop has to do 1000 shots in 6 months. No one appreciates the time and care you must put into a CGI shot to make it really convincing. If ILM is given ample time and resources on their CG Falcon shots, there should be no reason why it won't look as good as a miniature. Rendering software today can perfectly mimic the way real light and materials work. It used to be about a lot of cheats and cutting corners, but that is not so much true today. Brute force light tracing will yield an extremely realistic image.

StevenBills and Haystack Hair like this.
  33. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

Great to have you here Astro

& the utmost respect to you & Vos

.....Vos was saying that several Falcons were made, were you in a team making them? ......That must have been some sight ,....a tower of those huge boxes

J

Laser Brain likes this.
  34. Haystack Hair

Haystack Hair Sr Member

Definitely a privilege to have you here Astro!!
    It's only if you were going to look up really close that you would be able to see the bits missing.....and even then, only Falcon obsessives like us would ever know hehehe

PS how's about getting me in on the production action eh eh eh?? ;)

35. Astro

Astro New Member

I was :) It was a great thing to work on and a childhood dream of mine, plus working with Vos was a great.

I would love to tell you more but i guess i will have to wait till Dec, Hopefully a lot more of are work will feature in the art book.

36. Astro

Astro New Member

Ha ha ha you never know

The falcon is a pretty cool ship but for me its all about the snow speeder! I watched ESB so many times as a kid, mostly because the battle was at the start :) still my fav till this day

Vacformedhero and Haystack Hair like this.
  37. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

No problem Astro,....I wouldn't have quizzed you anyway......well......until the film is released:D

I'm sure it was a dream,....I'd say many of us here wouldn't be building models if it weren't for the likes of yourself & Vos,....Star Wars kicked it off big time for me

J

Vacformedhero likes this.
  38. Hagoth

Hagoth Well-Known Member

Thank you Astro and Vos for the great background insights. This explains a lot about little details I noticed on the models. nice to have you two around. :D:cool

39. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Yeah, I realize that now, DanielB. There have been great strides in technology and the skills of the CG modelers, no doubt - the ships look pretty impressive in the trailers so their efforts are very much appreciated. It's really great to have you in our midst, Vos and Astro -- but hope you don't get frustrated with the Falcon-nitpicking -- die-hards abound here and models are examined to the atom, heheh. I do want to build a model of the EpVII Falcon with the rectangular dish someday --- and it looks like the Bandai release is just around the corner.

Astro likes this.
  40. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

......I know I'm a nitpicker:D

....cant help myself,.....sorry

(on my headstone it'll probably say..."was that the 5 footer or the 32 inch")

J

41. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow.

I love hearing about the behind the scenes on this stuff! It's great to have you both!

Astro likes this.
  42. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Hey. No offence taken at all. I think everyone wouldn't loved to have seen high-quality, shooting miniatures made for TFA.

I'm a huge 32 fan. It's funny... it was my scratch-built 32" Falcon that I built on Edge of Tomorrow (with a lot of help from members here with regards to IDing parts) that got me the concept model maker job in the first place. It just happened to be the same Supervising Art Director who took the TFA gig...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... shame we never got a chance to make a perfect, large scale Falcon for the movie. But hey, I'm totally Ok with digital spacecraft. Those X-Wings flying over the water looked bad-*. :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    Astro, KramStaar, Shingouki28 and 3 others like this.
  43. Laser Brain

Laser Brain Sr Member

Astro was on Falcon duty and I had some of my own projects. We shared a lot of models too, like the X-Wing for example. :)

44. astroboy

Nice work on that falcon!

45. astroboy

More pics of that 32'!!!!

46. Hagoth

Hagoth Well-Known Member

Wow Vos, that is one sweet looking 32 Falcon! I love seeing the process steps of raw parts assembly, primer, base coat, finished product. Very cool looking model.

Laser Brain likes this.
  47. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Wow!!! They should have offered to film your 32" instead!

48. Vacformedhero

Vacformedhero Sr Member

Hey. No offence taken at all. I think everyone wouldn't loved to have seen high-quality, shooting miniatures made for TFA.

so.......without giving away any details , were there any sets build as models for scenes (like pod racer garage, palace from phantom )
    i always liked the detailed work that was put into these models....or did you have to mock up designs that were scanned for computer enhancement ?

49. KramStaar

KramStaar Sr Member

Astro, Vos, great work mates.

I was with both Steve Gawley and Richard Edlund (at separate times) looking at the display and we all took a long time looking at specifically the Falcon and x-wing.
    Although the Falcon is too small for a film prop, very favourable comments and lots of reminiscing was done in front of the pieces on display.

Great stuff fella's.

Highest regards
    MARK

Astro likes this.
  50. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

She looks a beauty Vos,....thats a real skill

The Digital Falcon in the teasers look magnificent,....and now,.....we have a Falcon with glass in the window frames, if we want our future Ep7 models to look screen accurate!!

J

Laser Brain likes this.