Force Awakens Prop Falcon at SWCA...FM?

Hey. No offence taken at all. I think everyone wouldn't loved to have seen high-quality, shooting miniatures made for TFA.

I'm a huge 32 fan. It's funny... it was my scratch-built 32" Falcon that I built on Edge of Tomorrow (with a lot of help from members here with regards to IDing parts) that got me the concept model maker job in the first place. It just happened to be the same Supervising Art Director who took the TFA gig...

... shame we never got a chance to make a perfect, large scale Falcon for the movie. But hey, I'm totally Ok with digital spacecraft. Those X-Wings flying over the water looked bad-ass. :)

Last edited:
Great to have you here Astro

& the utmost respect to you & Vos

.....Vos was saying that several Falcons were made, were you in a team making them? ......That must have been some sight ,....a tower of those huge boxes

J

Astro was on Falcon duty and I had some of my own projects. We shared a lot of models too, like the X-Wing for example. :)

Wow Vos, that is one sweet looking 32 Falcon! I love seeing the process steps of raw parts assembly, primer, base coat, finished product. Very cool looking model.

Hey. No offence taken at all. I think everyone wouldn't loved to have seen high-quality, shooting miniatures made for TFA.

so.......without giving away any details , were there any sets build as models for scenes (like pod racer garage, palace from phantom )
i always liked the detailed work that was put into these models....or did you have to mock up designs that were scanned for computer enhancement ?

Astro, Vos, great work mates.

I was with both Steve Gawley and Richard Edlund (at separate times) looking at the display and we all took a long time looking at specifically the Falcon and x-wing.
Although the Falcon is too small for a film prop, very favourable comments and lots of reminiscing was done in front of the pieces on display.

Great stuff fella's.

Highest regards
MARK

I'm a huge 32 fan. It's funny... it was my scratch-built 32" Falcon that I built on Edge of Tomorrow (with a lot of help from members here with regards to IDing parts) that got me the concept model maker job in the first place. It just happened to be the same Supervising Art Director who took the TFA gig...

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums... - Millennium Falcon/8925684_zpswup8qbby.jpeg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums... - Millennium Falcon/6213583_zpsx0uppmnk.jpeg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums... - Millennium Falcon/DSC01995_zps8d8gsxuk.jpg

... shame we never got a chance to make a perfect, large scale Falcon for the movie. But hey, I'm totally Ok with digital spacecraft. Those X-Wings flying over the water looked bad-ass. :)

She looks a beauty Vos,....thats a real skill

The Digital Falcon in the teasers look magnificent,....and now,.....we have a Falcon with glass in the window frames, if we want our future Ep7 models to look screen accurate!!

J

I honestly can't comment on whether there will ever be any miniatures in the new movies. They were always, traditionally, done in the States.
It could be that things have moved away from the miniature sets as the Prequels seemed to prove that the actors were just too removed from their environments during shooting on green screen... I don't honestly know.

There are some cool (IMO) tidbits I'd like to share about the art dept models, particularly our interaction with VFX, and model scanning, but they'll have to wait until the movie comes out (as long as someone is still interested) ;-)

Cheers Mark. I'm sure that Steve Gawley and Richard Edlund weren't particularly impressed with the display as it was set up.

If they use a practical miniature for a spaceship these days then it's probably because something traumatic is happening to it. Crash, explosion, water, etc.

I am pretty hopefully a lot of the concept models we made will end up in the art book, I have to admit i still find it all a little Crazy that i was able to have worked on ep7.

I honestly can't wait to share with you what me and Vos did on the film.

I am pretty hopefully a lot of the concept models we made will end up in the art book, I have to admit i still find it all a little Crazy that i was able to have worked on ep7.

I honestly can't wait to share with you what me and Vos did on the film.

:D Locked on and tracking target number two. This is gunna be good! :D

You probably cant answer this but were any other models made as part of this process ( I'm thinking Star Destroyers like we saw in the trailer) or were ships like that purely CG ?

Thanks and brilliant insight

Steve

You probably cant answer this but were any other models made as part of this process ( I'm thinking Star Destroyers like we saw in the trailer) or were ships like that purely CG ?

Thanks and brilliant insight

Steve
There were actually some ship models for the prequels. I don't know how they were used but they did make them

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back