Force Awakens Prop Falcon at SWCA...FM?

Shingouki28

Sr Member
I'm not imagining it am I? This Falcon model on display at SWCA is a FineMolds isn't it? Note the jawbox shape, flat turret sides etc
tumblr_nmx0dxrylA1s1xa0lo6_1280.jpg

I'm not imagining it am I? This Falcon model on display at SWCA is a FineMolds isn't it? Note the jawbox shape, flat turret sides etc
View attachment 465409

Yep it's the FM......which is based on the 32" stunt Falcon,,,,,all images of the Force Awakens Falcon are based on the 5 footer ,....so this model is completely wrong,.......

......well apart for the dish

J

Yep it's the FM......which is based on the 32" stunt Falcon,,,,,all images of the Force Awakens Falcon are based on the 5 footer ,....so this model is completely wrong,.......

......well apart for the dish

J
Of course, if they did use this as a filming miniature and it is the Fine Molds kit, that would make the Fine Molds kit canon!

Well, apart from the dish. :D

A bunch of the FM Falcons and resin castings were built by the art department to work out the 1:1 set build and possible changes/upgrades for the EPVII Falcon. This is just one of around 10 various quick sketch models.

- - - Updated - - -

......well apart for the dish

J

Actually, from day 1 everything was designed from a 32" ESB model (as far as the art department was concerned). This changed over time. Set dec did what they wanted using the greeblies they could source... and VFX went (mostly) with the ANH model in the end as ILM had a great digital asset of it.

Well I'm glad they did Vos as the 32" is half the size and detail of the original Falcon

I think fans would have been upset that the real Falcon wasn't used for the CG render

J

I'm well aware of the size of the 32" Falcon in relation to the ANH. I'm betting I'm not the only one who prefers it though. The ANH model is a thing of beauty though.I'm glad those landing gear got fixed for Empire. ;-)

No problem Vos, I wasn't questioning your knowledge,....just happy & relieved that the SFX guys didn't use a model for reference that was hardly ever seen in the films without motion blur

J

I know and fair enough, but the VFX guy's model in TFA will only ever be seen with motion blur, flying or twisting at full speed. All other shots will be determined by Art Dept, SFX, Construction and Set Dec due to their set build, which is neither 32" or 5'.

Only people on this kind of site will actually pause and analyse it frame by frame. That's what keeps it interesting! :) ... and everyone on their toes, trying to do things right.

All my favourite memories of the Falcon are of it twisting through the asteroids, on the back of a Star Destroyer or in the final Death Star 2 run and battle, not parked up or taking off in an awkward straight line. ;)

Cool,....that must have been a dream come true,...for me life couldn't get better than that!!!

......so.....in all honesty.....do you think the FM Falcon seen at the celebration was used on screen?

Would there be any use for the VFX guys to film such a tiny model?

J

Last edited:
......so.....in all honesty.....do you think the FM Falcon seen at the celebration was used on screen?

Would there be any use for the VFX guys to film such a tiny model?

J

I would say almost certainly not. I am a visual effects artist for a living, and miniature spaceships are simply not done anymore, and really haven't been done in over a decade except for the recent Interstellar. Almost every spacecraft you have seen in the past decade is a CG render. Models are built for conceptualizing, but very rarely for actual VFX shot work, again, Interstellar being the only notable exception I can think of.

I would say almost certainly not. I am a visual effects artist for a living, and miniature spaceships are simply not done anymore, and really haven't been done in over a decade except for the recent Interstellar. Almost every spacecraft you have seen in the past decade is a CG render. Models are built for conceptualizing, but very rarely for actual VFX shot work, again, Interstellar being the only notable exception I can think of.

Glad to hear that
J

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back