For those of us who remember between ANH and ESB..

I remember nothing because I was born in 77. However I think a lot of people assume things weren't in Lucas head because they weren't on screen. If you read JW Rinzler's Making of Star Wars, a LOT more things were in place (midichlorians for one) or partially connected whereas some fans assume he was making everything up as he went. Also I think some people confuse the novelization (maybe where Obi-Wan saying Owen was his brother came from?) and the comics with actual fact.

I was born in 1991, so of course don’t have any stories between that time frame…But one of my online friends a few years ago told a story about him standing in line to watch ESB. A showing had already occurred, and someone drove by in their pickup truck as everyone waited to go in. The guy honked to get everyone’s attention, and then yelled “Vader is Luke’s father!”

That guy was an Internet troll before the Internet even existed!

Also I think some people confuse the novelization (maybe where Obi-Wan saying Owen was his brother came from?) and the comics with actual fact.

Yeah that's probably what I'm thinking of. I think the novelization was based on earlier versions of the script and included scenes not in the movie.

Before TESB I remember toys: x wing , tie fighter, action figures , Death Star playset with trash compactor and millennium falcon.
Also sent in the proof of purchases for the Boba Fett as well.

After seeing TESB I remember really serious conversations with my mom including: is Vader really Lukes father? (Seemed like it could not be true at the time) , is Han dead ( no son they will find him), how can Luke ever be a Jedi now with a robot hand? They lost.Will there be another movie ? When will it come out?

Heavy stuff for my 7 year old mind.

I was eleven when A New Hope (just Star Wars) came out so I was the prime age for the movies when they came out.
Though a little off topic, my main take away from the original trilogy came after I walked out of the theater on opening night for ROTJ. When Luke tells Leia that Vader is his father she kind of gives a look of total disgust. Then he reveals that she is his sister.
Okay. No problem. I’m still on board.
During Luke and Vader’s big fight, Vader discovers that Leia is Luke’s sister.
I always found it odd that no one directly makes any mention of, “Hey, Leia! Vader is also YOUR father!”
That tidbit is just kind of glazed over.

The first clip of Empire I saw was the scene of Luke in the corridor on Bespin when Leia shouts that it’s a trap
I remember that clip being in one of the TV commercials. I also remember a quick shot of Lando picking up the PA system mic in Bespin.
1) I initially thought stormtroopers were robots, and the "011" look to the backplate was the word "oil"
2) I first thought that Vader was a robot as well, but must have been repeat viewings with Obi-Wan saying that Vader was a former pupil, that I realized he was human

Yep, same here.
The "0" on the action figure's backplate was where you would put the fuel. I was 7.

3P0 and the Stormtrooper were my first figures.
I don't remember what I did yesterday morning, but I have vivid memories of selective moments during those days.

My grandma bought me those figures at K-Mart. I even remember where the rack was in the store, relative to the exit.
I remember opening the figures in the car (a '73 Ford Pinto) and playing with them on the little window of the back seat.
I remember it was cold, gray and rainy outside.

I have plenty of well-preserved SW-related memories like that.

--

Sometime between ANH and ESB, closer to 1980, we switch to this crazy new thing called "Cable TV." It came with a wired little keyboard that was called a Jerrold. Had to look it up, didn't remember what it was called.

Shortly before ESB came out, you could watch ANH on "Pay TV" somewhere between channels 32 and 36. We didn't have the luxury of paying for that channel but the movies would play anyway - except they were scrambled. The sound worked perfectly but the image was discolored and distorted. And I absolutely did not care, lol!! The film would loop all day. I remember more than once sitting in front of our Zenith twice in a row. I must have watched a distorted ANH maybe 20 times during that period.

That's another good memory of that era.

---
---

DarkHelmet
It's funny that you started this thread today, because I've had this exact subject on my mind all day.

Earlier I had some free time, so I watched ESB.
I have it on at least once a month but as background entertainment while I'm working.
But today, because I was thinking about that era, I decided to sit and give it my full attention, realizing that I hadn't done that in a while. I did it (in part) to compensate for the recent Book of Boba Fett screening. The one good thing that emerged from that Space Vespa episode is the thoroughly entertaining reactions over in that thread.

Anyway, it's crazy how after over 40 years I still get completely sucked in by that film.
And after seeing it I spent most of the afternoon thinking about my kid days in the late 70's and early 80s.

Then I get on here, and there's your post.

How weird is that?

---

BTW, this is a Jerrold.

10009701-large.jpg

I was born in 1991, so of course don’t have any stories between that time frame…But one of my online friends a few years ago told a story about him standing in line to watch ESB. A showing had already occurred, and someone drove by in their pickup truck as everyone waited to go in. The guy honked to get everyone’s attention, and then yelled “Vader is Luke’s father!”

That guy was an Internet troll before the Internet even existed!

I remember that clip being in one of the TV commercials. I also remember a quick shot of Lando picking up the PA system mic in Bespin.

Yep, same here.
The "0" on the action figure's backplate was where you would put the fuel. I was 7.

3P0 and the Stormtrooper were my first figures.
I don't remember what I did yesterday morning, but I have vivid memories of selective moments during those days.

My grandma bought me those figures at K-Mart. I even remember where the rack was in the store, relative to the exit.
I remember opening the figures in the car (a '73 Ford Pinto) and playing with them on the little window of the back seat.
I remember it was cold, gray and rainy outside.

I have plenty of well-preserved SW-related memories like that.

--

Sometime between ANH and ESB, closer to 1980, we switch to this crazy new thing called "Cable TV." It came with a wired little keyboard that was called a Jerrold. Had to look it up, didn't remember what it was called.

Shortly before ESB came out, you could watch ANH on "Pay TV" somewhere between channels 32 and 36. We didn't have the luxury of paying for that channel but the movies would play anyway - except they were scrambled. The sound worked perfectly but the image was discolored and distorted. And I absolutely did not care, lol!! The film would loop all day. I remember more than once sitting in front of our Zenith twice in a row. I must have watched a distorted ANH maybe 20 times during that period.

That's another good memory of that era.

---
---

DarkHelmet
It's funny that you started this thread today, because I've had this exact subject on my mind all day.

Earlier I had some free time, so I watched ESB.
I have it on at least once a month but as background entertainment while I'm working.
But today, because I was thinking about that era, I decided to sit and give it my full attention, realizing that I hadn't done that in a while. I did it (in part) to compensate for the recent Book of Boba Fett screening. The one good thing that emerged from that Space Vespa episode is the thoroughly entertaining reactions over in that thread.

Anyway, it's crazy how after over 40 years I still get completely sucked in by that film.
And after seeing it I spent most of the afternoon thinking about my kid days in the late 70's and early 80s.

Then I get on here, and there's your post.

How weird is that?

---

BTW, this is a Jerrold.

View attachment 1534416
Yep, we had the "Jerrold" as well! It's how you changed the Cable channels.

I two-handed that thing like a virtuoso pianist on crack.
My Mom would yell at me for going through the channels to quickly.
I had fingers pre-positioned on all the keys that had the cool channels.

There was a STARLOG interview with... I wanna say Gary Kurtz? .... during that period where they hit him with several wild rumors that they had heard, for his reaction. They were all pretty crazy....including Vader being Luke's father. They were all so obviously wrong that that one correct one was instantly forgotten and did not spoil the movie. I was shocked to see it when I read the interview again much later.

For years and years I argued with a SW mate about Solo being a pilot in the Empire and him releasing Chewbacca..
Then Solo came out and he Sucked humble pie..
It was either mentioned in one of the first movie poster fold outs or maybe from Han Solo trilogy..I loved those books as an 12 year old..

As for Obi Wan and Owen, there is this bit that appears in Revenge of the Jedi shooting scripts online....whether it's a fake that has propagated I don't know. I have a physical photocopy I got at a con in the 80s but that doesn't mean it's real, either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 4.53.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 4.53.51 AM.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 67
Funny, half the audience back then thought Vader was a robot! The one rumor I remember was that Kenobi was the first clone of the emperor and his real name was Obi-ONE! How's that for nutty! Lots of us also assumed that Uncle Owen and Kenobi were brothers. I met actor Phil Brown at a con a long time ago, and he said it was his understanding as well that they were brothers, but that hasn't panned out.
Yes. The Obi-One clone thing was mentioned in an article in a magazine like Starburst or Fantastic Films. I think I found a link to it and posted it once

I used to have a scrap book (since lost), that I made of all the newspaper clippings I could find when the film first came out back in 1977. I remember the UK Newspaper The Mirror (not the most reliable news source) referring to Darth Vader as "Dark Death Robot" and under a picture of a couple of Stormtroopers was the comment "The good guys wear white".

I used to have a scrap book (since lost), that I made of all the newspaper clippings I could find when the film first came out back in 1977. I remember the UK Newspaper The Mirror (not the most reliable news source) referring to Darth Vader as "Dark Death Robot" and under a picture of a couple of Stormtroopers was the comment "The good guys wear white".
Ha I did the same.. its choc full of the next As they called it The Starwars spectacular...

"The Starwars Holiday Special"

Its either The Sun or The Mirror I'll dig it out...

Yes. The Obi-One clone thing was mentioned in an article in a magazine like Starburst or Fantastic Films. I think I found a link to it and posted it once

I have never heard this Obi wan theory before! I love this stuff from the past! Keep it coming

As for Obi Wan and Owen, there is this bit that appears in Revenge of the Jedi shooting scripts online....whether it's a fake that has propagated I don't know. I have a physical photocopy I got at a con in the 80s but that doesn't mean it's real, either.
I wanna say it was also mentioned in the Rinzler RoTJ book as well but it’s been a while.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back