Foamies Paint

hi just wondering what would you use to paint foamies i thought maybe acrylic

I've used ordinary Krylon spray paint.

The key point is that you have to seal the foamie first so the paint doesn't get absorbed. I mix Elmers glue with a little water and brush a couple coats on.

I've used ordinary Krylon spray paint.

The key point is that you have to seal the foamie first so the paint doesn't get absorbed. I mix Elmers glue with a little water and brush a couple coats on.

whoa! thanks for that, i was about to spray directly without sealing

That's what I did on my test piece. I miixed regualr white glue and water. It makes the foamie less flexable but it keeps the paint from soaking in.

everyone says you have to seal foamies, but i disagree. i have only put paint directly on foamies and it works just fine.
any paint will do. if the foamies are going to flex and move, then you will want a paint that is flexible also.
seal it like you would anything you paint.

will it still work without the glue

Depends on what you mean by "work" . . . . Yes, it will color the foam approximately the color you spray it. But it's like painting a sponge--all the paint will get sucked into the foamie, and the colors will come out pale and spotty. There may be times when you'd WANT to have that effect. But for 99.99% of instances, it will come out looking awful.

There's really no reason not to glue it over first---elmers glue costs next to nothing, and it only takes a few minutes to brush on a couple of coats. And it looks a million times better.

everyone says you have to seal foamies, but i disagree. i have only put paint directly on foamies and it works just fine.
any paint will do. if the foamies are going to flex and move, then you will want a paint that is flexible also.
seal it like you would anything you paint.

I dunno---I've always had problems when I didn't seal it first.

Perhaps some paints are better for it than others. I've always just used ordinary Krylon spray paint, with maybe some acrylic touch-ups here and there.

It may also depend on the foamie and how smooth its surface already is.

After painting it, could it not be sealed by painting or airbrushing over it in a layer of latex? Its still flexible and won't allow the paint to crack.

I have used glue and I have painted non-glued foamies.hardness is the only thing I noticed difference with glued as I always primered first on both glued and non-glued.I use krylon rattlecans

Just my two cents here... I did not seal the piece with glue. I just primed the whole thing with an alquidic base spray paint (black) then drybrushed the whole thing with silver. It worked like a charm and did not absorb the paint.

if you seal the foamie or not - you need to do several layers of paint.
  • Either glue primer and or regular primer paint - I use a rust color for my primer since I usually paint top coat in black.
  • Some folks use plastidip spray - (strong but difficult to paint later with any waterbased acrylics since water tends to bead up on it.)
  • Then your top coat for color ( black or copper or whatever)
  • Then washing browns and dark colors for dirt & to get deep details to recede more
  • paint/drybrush or 'rub n buff' hightlights into the metal to get your raised details to pop
Bottom line - if your base coat is too thin - your paints will quickly rub off your foamie armors edges and places where wearing and scrapes occurs Embarassing if your foamie is bright orange, baby blue or some other color than black or brown.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back