Foam Question

PepMaster

Sr Member
Is it possible to find very thick upholstry foam? I am trying to find it by the foot thickness and looking for it at about 3 feet thick. Or would I have to take sheets and is there a special way to glue the sheets together? Any help would be great.

So people know what I'm trying to do I am wanting to make a Elite suit similar to the way Pete Mander made his Halo Elite suit, the thickest foam is what I am trying to find to carve out the legs arms and most of the torso with.

The thickest I've ever seen was 4" thick, but there is probably something chunkier. I use Evo-stick contact adhesive to stick it together, which will be a permanent bond. Couldn't advise where to buy it from though, it was just in the workshop.

There are a lot of places on the Internet selling custom sized foam.
A couple places I found that you could get a price without emailing
for information. Quite expensive if you need the 3' thickness in a cube, not too really awful, if you need on one of the sides that thick. Not sure how these prices would compare to buying non custom and gluing it together.
500 to 600$ for a 3' cube
50 to 70$ for a 1'x1'x3' cube
Try out the exact size and density you'll be needing see what the cost is.

Foam Online - custom shaped foam, packaging foam, memory foam, bedding foam and other foam products

Custom Cut Foam, Sofa Cushion, Cushion Replacement, Foam Mattress, Foam Packaging, Foam Cushions

Couple other places, have to email them for a quote.

Foam - Online - Custom Cut to Size

Foam to Size, Inc. -- Custom Foam, Upholstery Foam, Foam Cushions, and Upholstery Supplies For Marine Projects, Bedding, Hobbies, Packaging and Much More

Might try checking with upholstery shops or re-upholstery shops in you area, they might have damaged or dead ends of thicker stuff they would sell you??

Shylaah

If you want to experiment at making your own---you can line a box with plastic and cast in flexible A/B urethane foam. You could even make it close to the general shape you want probably cheaper than buying huge sheet foam.

i would sudgest going to a local upolsturers to see if they have any, they may be kind enough to give it to you as well

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back