Foam mask repair help

KwaziiCat

I really need some help. I’ve got a couple of weeks (the 15th Feb to be exact!) to come up with a cosplay for my daughter. I’m crafty but have never attempted anything quite like this and I want to make it ace and on a bit of a deadline, but due to night shift and changing job this month just before it’s due I’m running out of time and got a problem!

My daughter is wanting to go as a kinda hipster Deku from My Hero Academia. I’ve already stared on the belt with just a couple of finishing touches to do. Got my supplies for the legs and the gloves are halfway done, however…

I got my mask in the post. Since this is a focal item I decided to buy the mask and since I’m kind of new to this I didn’t want to mess it up and well, you know time! But it’s arrived with split foam, ridges and totally out of shape. I’m devastated and don’t have a clue what to do as dont have enough time to replace it.

Please! Can anyone out there help me!
IMG_20200203_093653.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200203_093713.jpg
    IMG_20200203_093713.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200203_093725.jpg
    IMG_20200203_093725.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20200203_093731.jpg
    IMG_20200203_093731.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20200203_093742.jpg
    IMG_20200203_093742.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 137
Looks like it was poorly packed for shipping and got smashed in transit. For the crack, I’d say your best bet is to get some gel super glue (not the really runny kind) and run it down that crack to repair it.

As to the shape, you can gently use a heat gun (or hair drier depending on what you have to hand) on the inside of the mask (don’t directly heat the painted surface) and try to reshape it.

To then clean up the surface you can try giving it a coat of Mod Podge, or whatever your local equivalent is, and repaint it. That may help to smooth out the wrinkles caused by crushing. If you have access to Plasti Dip, that would be ideal, but it’s smelly and messy and I know not available everywhere.

Hope that helps!

If you need to fill in the gap, you can use foam clay. Just lightly wet the surface of the mask where you put it with water, add the foam and shape it, then when dry you can seal and paint it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back