Foam costume

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

lilcajundevil

Trying to figure out how to make a minion costume out of foam for my 12 yr old. Need to know what kind of foam to use,can it be painted, and what kind of paint will I need? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated by this newbie!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
You want Foamies! These can be found at stores like Walmart. You will however find a larger selection at large craft stores like HobbyLobby.

Cut out some posterboard templates. Then cut them out of the Foamie.

Heat it up with a hairdryer or heat gun (lowest setting) and glue together. Coat them in diluted white Elmers glue.

And then paint! I used regualr aoutomotive silver and Tamiya dark silvers.

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
A little thicker than milk. Not real thin as it will soak in too much, not too thick or it will leave brush strokes.

Xolotl

Nice tips Robiwon, but if i may ask does the glue mixture help harden it or does it still have a foamy feel?

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
The foam will still flex a bit. The reason for coating it in white glue is to give it a "skin" or smooth surface for your paint to stick too. Otherwise the paint will soak into the foam, basicaly it's a sponge.

STEALTH

Sr Member
Amazing Robiwon!

Is it alright if I include this as an alternative to painting for a tutorial?. Seems very cost effective, especially for younger builders who can't get stuff like plasti-dip or modge podge or things of that nature.

Just awesome once again :)

lilcajundevil

Thanks Robiwon! Never would have thought of that. How do I round out the foam sheets.I'm trying to make a Despicable Me minion. Also, will the Elmer's glue be what to glue it together with? I will have to make the minion pretty big!

Kromanc

Excellent man, this may solve the problem that I don't fin a place with plastidip near my house. If you have any more pics or videos please upload them for further information.

Jerry

Robiwon

Master Member
Gone but not forgotten.
lilcajundevil,
I sent you a PM that should help out with you costume. For glueing large areas I would at least use a hotglue gun. Velcro can also be your friend with Foamies.

Kromanc,
One of the best sites for Foamie costum tutorials is How to Build a Predator Costume - The Hunter's Lair Check out the site and serch for foamies.