Foam costume

lilcajundevil

Trying to figure out how to make a minion costume out of foam for my 12 yr old. Need to know what kind of foam to use,can it be painted, and what kind of paint will I need? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated by this newbie!

You want Foamies! These can be found at stores like Walmart. You will however find a larger selection at large craft stores like HobbyLobby.

095.jpg

Cut out some posterboard templates. Then cut them out of the Foamie.

096.jpg

Heat it up with a hairdryer or heat gun (lowest setting) and glue together. Coat them in diluted white Elmers glue.

098.jpg

And then paint! I used regualr aoutomotive silver and Tamiya dark silvers.

014-6.jpg

A little thicker than milk. Not real thin as it will soak in too much, not too thick or it will leave brush strokes.

The foam will still flex a bit. The reason for coating it in white glue is to give it a "skin" or smooth surface for your paint to stick too. Otherwise the paint will soak into the foam, basicaly it's a sponge.

Amazing Robiwon!

Is it alright if I include this as an alternative to painting for a tutorial?. Seems very cost effective, especially for younger builders who can't get stuff like plasti-dip or modge podge or things of that nature.

Just awesome once again :)

Thanks Robiwon! Never would have thought of that. How do I round out the foam sheets.I'm trying to make a Despicable Me minion. Also, will the Elmer's glue be what to glue it together with? I will have to make the minion pretty big!

Excellent man, this may solve the problem that I don't fin a place with plastidip near my house. If you have any more pics or videos please upload them for further information.

Jerry

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back