Foam Build Adhesive Question

Jellyhugo

I am searching for a non-toxic adhesive that works with foam building. I have been researching online but haven't really come across any that are referenced for these kinds of builds. I figured i would ask my fellow RPF members. The reason for this is we currently live in Ohio and it is very cold outside. We have 4 pets inside hence the reason why i am seeking a non-toxic option. Does anyone have any recommendations that will work the same as contact cement. Also, I don't have a work space so I turned one of our bedrooms into a costume room.

Jason

I can definately recommend something that I use. ..it's Copydex. It's non toxic (ideal for working indoors for all you bedroom builders), strong, dries in reasonable time and should be easily available in most countries. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copydex-Glu...Natural-Rubber-Latex-Craft-Glue-/160968159940
I find it great for my foam armor and helmet builds. I suspect it's not as strong as Barge but it has certain qualities that you may find benificial, i.e. it's easy to remove excess or redo a peice if it doesn't work (simple pull the foam apart, remove the rubber glue and re apply).
Like most contact adhesives the trick is to allow the glue to dry (Copydex dries clear) before placing your pieces together.

I hope you can find some and give it a go. Highly recommended.
Good Luck

I can definately recommend something that I use. ..it's Copydex. It's non toxic (ideal for working indoors for all you bedroom builders), strong, dries in reasonable time and should be easily available in most countries. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copydex-Glu...Natural-Rubber-Latex-Craft-Glue-/160968159940
I find it great for my foam armor and helmet builds. I suspect it's not as strong as Barge but it has certain qualities that you may find benificial, i.e. it's easy to remove excess or redo a peice if it doesn't work (simple pull the foam apart, remove the rubber glue and re apply).
Like most contact adhesives the trick is to allow the glue to dry (Copydex dries clear) before placing your pieces together.

I hope you can find some and give it a go. Highly recommended.
Good Luck

Man i really do appreciate the info. At least this is something that I can work with until it starts to get warmer and I can setup shop outside to sand, seal, and paint. You have any issues of stuff falling apart?

None whatsoever. I do find that I have to roughen the surface from textured EVA foam mats, or any foam with a less pourus surface for that matter. This is to get a good surface for the glue to adhere to. This can be done by either sanding, dremeling or simply removing with a Stanley knife. For any areas that might be a concern I use superglue to reinforce.
Glad to help.

I suspect it's not as strong as Barge but it has certain qualities that you may find benificial

Is Barge also non-toxic? Seems like Barge is a lot easier to get a hold of in the states.

I just started work on a foam project of my own tonight, only to read the temperature of contact cement needs to be above 65 Fahrenheit "for 24 hours before and 72 hours after application". Impossible to achieve out in my garage this time of year.

From what I have read Barge is classed as toxic and recommends using a respirator and should be used in a well ventilated room. You could probably get away with using it sparingly without issue but if you plan on using it for long periods of time in an enclosed space then probably best to follow their guidelines. There maybe a VOCS free variant that is free of hazardous substances. Having not used Barge yet, perhaps somebody else who has could comment?

After thinking about it, I remember a lot of videos seeing hot glue guns used on foam. Honestly I haven't used one since grade school because I never liked how it held together. Anyone who uses it that can vouch for it?

That's all I used for my Deathstroke build with the exception of stress points on the chest armor(contact cement held very well) Check out the JF custom deathstroke mask build on youtube, he was very thorough with the glue gun technique

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back