Flood of email subscriptions driving me mad

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by phase pistol, Apr 21, 2005.

1. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well you know I generally LIKE the email subscription feature... but it isn't working as advertised.

Well this would be great if it worked like that, but overnight I got 59 emails. One for every time somebody posted to a thread I "subscribed" to. Which is only two or three threads.

Is there any way to stop that without just un-subscribing everything? It would be great if it worked as advertised.

Thanks,

- karl

2. Jedirick

Jedirick Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm unsure exactly which method you are using to subscribe to a particular forum OR track a specific topic.
    I checked the methods I use and could find no option description that word for word matches the one you posted.

I subscrbe to the JY Forum for obvious reasons. I selected subscribe button from the forum header. I use the Daily Digest option.

Currently I am not subscribed to any topics but when I do, I use the "Track This Topic" button contained in the thread subject header and again choose the Daily Digest option.

So far I have not been flooded by email notifications. - I'll track your topic and see what happens.

The help/FAQ indicates 3 ways you can set up subscriptions.

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...&CODE=01&HID=15

3. phase pistol

The problem is that for every topic I was subscribed to, I was getting an email EVERY TIME SOMEONE POSTED A REPLY.

As the emails themselves state, I'm only supposed to get one email per topic, per (my) board visit.

I stemmed the problem by manually going in and switching my subscription preferences to "daily digest", but I'd prefer that the system work as advertised.

- k

4. stormtrooperguy

stormtrooperguy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i was just coming in to mention the same thing... once i've subscribed to a post, i get a new email every time someone posts to it.

from reading the text of the message, and from experience on other boards, i assumed that i'd get 1 message when there was a new post in a topic i was watching, then no additional messages on that topic until i had gone to the board again to read the thread.

it is a bit annoying to get that many mails, but i prefer that to daily digest... if i wait that long on the junkyard, i'll never get anything ;)

5. phase pistol

Yeah either the description of what the email service is supposed to do is wrong, or else the behavior of the email service itself is wrong.

- k

6. synasp

synasp Sr Member

The description is goofy. There's nothing wrong with the coding for that. I do tend to remember a function that does exactly what you want it to do--send one after the first reply, and that's it--but I can't remember how to enable it off the top of my head...

boy, I should go to bed.. :p

David