Flood of email subscriptions driving me mad

phase pistol

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Well you know I generally LIKE the email subscription feature... but it isn't working as advertised.

There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Well this would be great if it worked like that, but overnight I got 59 emails. One for every time somebody posted to a thread I "subscribed" to. Which is only two or three threads.

Is there any way to stop that without just un-subscribing everything? It would be great if it worked as advertised.

Thanks,

- karl

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 21 2005, 03:40 PM
Well you know I generally LIKE the email subscription feature... but it isn't working as advertised.

There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

Well this would be great if it worked like that, but overnight I got 59 emails. One for every time somebody posted to a thread I "subscribed" to. Which is only two or three threads.

Is there any way to stop that without just un-subscribing everything? It would be great if it worked as advertised.

Thanks,

- karl
[snapback]970724[/snapback]​

I'm unsure exactly which method you are using to subscribe to a particular forum OR track a specific topic.
I checked the methods I use and could find no option description that word for word matches the one you posted.

I subscrbe to the JY Forum for obvious reasons. I selected subscribe button from the forum header. I use the Daily Digest option.

Currently I am not subscribed to any topics but when I do, I use the "Track This Topic" button contained in the thread subject header and again choose the Daily Digest option.

So far I have not been flooded by email notifications. - I'll track your topic and see what happens.

The help/FAQ indicates 3 ways you can set up subscriptions.

http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...&CODE=01&HID=15

The problem is that for every topic I was subscribed to, I was getting an email EVERY TIME SOMEONE POSTED A REPLY.

As the emails themselves state, I'm only supposed to get one email per topic, per (my) board visit.

I stemmed the problem by manually going in and switching my subscription preferences to "daily digest", but I'd prefer that the system work as advertised.

- k

Originally posted by phase pistol@Apr 22 2005, 07:25 PM
The problem is that for every topic I was subscribed to, I was getting an email EVERY TIME SOMEONE POSTED A REPLY.

As the emails themselves state, I'm only supposed to get one email per topic, per (my) board visit.

I stemmed the problem by manually going in and switching my subscription preferences to "daily digest", but I'd prefer that the system work as advertised.

- k
[snapback]971418[/snapback]​

i was just coming in to mention the same thing... once i've subscribed to a post, i get a new email every time someone posts to it.

from reading the text of the message, and from experience on other boards, i assumed that i'd get 1 message when there was a new post in a topic i was watching, then no additional messages on that topic until i had gone to the board again to read the thread.

it is a bit annoying to get that many mails, but i prefer that to daily digest... if i wait that long on the junkyard, i'll never get anything ;)

Yeah either the description of what the email service is supposed to do is wrong, or else the behavior of the email service itself is wrong.

- k

The description is goofy. There's nothing wrong with the coding for that. I do tend to remember a function that does exactly what you want it to do--send one after the first reply, and that's it--but I can't remember how to enable it off the top of my head...

boy, I should go to bed.. :p

David

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back