spockboy

Hey guys, :)
Would like some estimates on either building, or finding already existing, (at least 24 inch) models of the Ming Bomber and Dr Zarkov's rocketship from Flash Gordon (1936)
Hollow inside to place lights for windows would be important as well. Fantastic Plastic did a couple of 11 inch models (1/72 scale seen below ) which are pretty good but too small and frankly a bit inaccurate.

Thanks in advance!

: )Paul

DR ZARKOV'S ROCKETSHIP
zarkov.jpg

MING BOMBER
ming 01.jpg

Attachments

• zarkov.jpg
    zarkov.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 398
  • ming 01.jpg
    ming 01.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 217
They definitely rotoscoped something, but the design was certainly different.

I read that the original 1936 models were both 18 and 40 inches long.
40 inches would be ideal.

I considered 3d printing but not sure you could access a machine that could print something 40 inches long, unless perhaps someone out there knows of a place.

Any thoughts?

They definitely rotoscoped something, but the design was certainly different.

I read that the original 1936 models were both 18 and 40 inches long.
40 inches would be ideal.

I considered 3d printing but not sure you could access a machine that could print something 40 inches long, unless perhaps someone out there knows of a place.

Any thoughts?
You could make in 2 parts: the front with the tubes going all around and then the back with the fins;)

Yes, slicing it just behind the ring of tubes is one way. I actually did it in front of the ring as they butt up against the cockpit section. There I used a small hand drill to drill a hole where 4 of the tubes met the cockpit and used some small screws dropped down the tubes to hold it together.

Yes, slicing it just behind the ring of tubes is one way. I actually did it in front of the ring as they butt up against the cockpit section. There I used a small hand drill to drill a hole where 4 of the tubes met the cockpit and used some small screws dropped down the tubes to hold it together.
I thought that was what I said, I need to get better at explaining....:confused: This is where I split the model.(y)

Attachments

• How I joined my rocket ship.jpg
    How I joined my rocket ship.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 122
spockboy,
When my father got back from the war, he bought a small used TV and along with my grandfather salvaged & tester and vacuum tubes to get it going. Flash Gordon & Mings rocket ships fascinated my brother and I. Back then we made paper airplanes and glued wooden match sticks to them to replicate the TV model’s engine exhaust when parents were not around. Fortunately we survived this foolish playing with fire without consequences. I became a “tyrant“ regarding hot work fire watch later in life.

Great model choice. Glad your making the larger version which will show off this unique aerodynamic design‘s details.

spockboy,
When my father got back from the war, he bought a small used TV and along with my grandfather salvaged & tester and vacuum tubes to get it going. Flash Gordon & Mings rocket ships fascinated my brother and I. Back then we made paper airplanes and glued wooden match sticks to them to replicate the TV model’s engine exhaust when parents were not around. Fortunately we survived this foolish playing with fire without consequences. I became a “tyrant“ regarding hot work fire watch later in life.

Great model choice. Glad your making the larger version which will show off this unique aerodynamic design‘s details.
Excellent story Searun! I can totally picture all of it. Especially trying to get it going with vacuum tubes (LOL) : )

I'm actually trying to restore the original footage and make it available for the public. I have already re-done the sound design for a four minute segment as a PROOF OF CONCEPT. Wanted to re-do the rocket and laser effects only. I want the ships to look exactly the way they did just shot more "interestingly" I have experience in shooting "physical models" and wanted to maintain that "analog" log as Flash Gordon is over 80 years old now. However, if they can look photo real, I am willing to go the CG route.

: )

I think this is the file I printed, I wish the poly count was higher and that the windows were open/without material in there space, opening them up is such a pain in PLA, but overall it's a nice model, thanks to the person who uploaded it.....(y)
Flash Gordons Rocket Ship by chompalot
Thanks very much!
I agree about the poly count but otherwise it looks pretty good.
I am actually looking for the Ming Bomber right now to create a 4 minute PROOF OF CONCEPT sequence. I will eventually need the Zarkov Rocketship if it works out. Thanks again for the link. : )

No, not really interested. To be honest I haven't even seen it since the early 1980's.
Just found this documentary on it that you might find interesting though...

: )
Thank you—a great find!
I’m thinking it was rotoscoped from a zeppelin model that had a WW II airplane model cockpit greenhouse glued over the gondola. Some of those WW II plane had very long cockpits.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back