First time painting latex

shockwave1

I finally bought some pros-aide and decided to have a go at painting the head. Phew, what a relief to get that first step out of the way! :lol:

I'll try to follow ta2pro's huntorial (thanks mate!), so I've started by misting the base coat on with acrylic paint and pros-aide. Still haven't decided whether I'll be cutting the front off or not, so I haven't painted the mouth yet.

Because our 4 year-old was home, he just had to be in the picture, of course ! :lol:

SSA41523_3.JPG

Still have no idea how I'm gonna go about trying to get it looking like the hippie, but I'll keep looking at my reference pictures and figure something out I hope. :p

Comments very welcome, thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's "done". Definitely need to get more colors, ended up a bit of a green and black mess... :lol:

SSA41530_2.JPG

SSA41531_2.JPG

I'll give it a gloss coat tomorrow and see how it looks, but at the moment it's looking like it'll need a repaint. :lol: Or maybe I'm just being to harsh on myself for a first attempt...

Thanks for looking, any comments or tips welcome. :p

I am going to be painting my first latex skin soon so I will be in the same boat as you were. You just boosted my confidence that a first timer can do it nicely. I like your head. Nice job. Hopefully my skin comes out as nice.

i kinda like the green hue it has :p

just take your timeand add a few more subtle details maybe.

nice job

Thanks Lee, that means alot mate. :lol: Yep, I think I got a little too excited and just didn't take my time. :p

I am going to be painting my first latex skin soon so I will be in the same boat as you were. You just boosted my confidence that a first timer can do it nicely. I like your head. Nice job. Hopefully my skin comes out as nice.

Thanks bud. Like everyone says, once you take that first step it's not that bad. Good luck. :lol:

Took a few more pics in better lighting. The look is growing on me now... It might have looked half decent if there were some reds and browns in there and I'd have proper lighting while airbrushing. :lol:

Still, I don't know what I was doing, must have the P1 look drilled into my mind, because I was going for the Hippie look and without realizing I ended up with this! (wtf?!) And the eyes, it looks like Zorro! :lol:

Anyway, on to the last pics before I have another crack at it... :p I actually really enjoyed painting this.
head1.JPG

head2.JPG

head3.JPG

head4.JPG

Comments and critique welcome as always. :p

I still like the two tone ish colouring :)

i am sure you will see things you do not like and improve upon them when you do your next, which i guess everyone does, you will not be, and never should be happy with your paintups, that way you keep trying to get better :eek: ( well thats what i tell myself, which is worrying that i talk to myself and sometimes answer back hehe )

Thanks for the comments fellas.

I know what you mean about not being happy with the paintups Lee, still I did better than I thought. I'm also starting to understand why people buy multiple masks and keep painting and re-painting them. :)

And I also know what you mean about talking to yourself and answering back! :eek: I haven't painted that much though, so it's not the fumes - which is even more worrying!

what kind of pred look you going for, i dont know if its already been mentioned but i think it makes a godly looking old aged pred

Ok, so technically it's not the first time anymore... But here's the repaint so far:
head6.JPG

head7.JPG

I let the coat under show through a little so it's not so flat. Still haven't quite got the spots how I'd like, but I'll just have to clean it up later. Hopefully by the time I get to the top and back it'll look a little better. :) The base colour still looks a bit too light so once I'm happy I'll go over the whole thing with a very light brown/sand mist.

good to see you are pushing yourself to get better :)

Thanks mate. :D

And I'm done for tonight. Kinda hard to do a P2 paint up on a P1, those extra spikes on the crown sure make a difference. Anyway, I'll have a good look at it tomorrow and tidy it up a little...
head8.JPG

head9.JPG

head10.JPG

head11.JPG

Thanks for looking, comments always very welcome.

Getting there, went a bit too far on the shading up top, but I'll fix it up. Still a few bits and pieces to tweak, but I'm taking my time. Looks a little bit more like the Hippie this time 'round... :)

head12.JPG

head13.JPG

head14.JPG

head15.JPG

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back