First time making my own Pred Costume

pacoenelsaco

Mornin folks. Ok, as you can all tell by now I'm brand new to the forums. I posted in the introductions thread to introduce myself and am now in the process of seeking advice on how to make my predator costume.

I took a look at most of the noob guides on the huntorials forums and I gotta say it was very helpful. But...a little overwhelming at the same time. Especially for someone who's never built a costume like myself. I'm a big fan of Predator, and I love cosplaying, and dressing up, and going to conventions and all that. But I've never actually built a costume and I've never really been known to have good "Arttistic" abilities Which kinda brings me down because I really want to make a good Predator costume, but I'm nervous about wether or not it'll end up lookin good. I don't wanna waste my money if the costume doesn't end up looking right.

In addition, like most other noobies, I have like no idea where to start. Like I said, it's a bit overwhelming because I've never used latex, I've never built my own costume, but I'm willing to give it a try and wanted your guys help if it's not to much to ask.

There were 3 main things I wanted to cover. The Skin, the Bio Helmet, and the creature mask. For the Skin, I've been seeing left and right that the best method (or must suggested method) is basically the Mr. Incredible suit method. I saw on the huntorial from Macguyver (I believe that's what his name was) that basically all you do is purchase a Mr. Incredible Muscle suit, stuff it up and place it onto a duct tape dummy (although I have no idea what a duct tape dummy is or how you make one), paint it with several layers of latex while placing little cotton pads underneath it to make the muscles stand out more, and then once that dries you paint it your own unique color. Is that abour right for the skin?

Now as far as the bio helmet and creature masks are concerned, I couldn't really find a huntorial as detailed as the skin one was on how to make either the helmet or the creature mask. Do you guys basically have to build that on you're own using clay and latex or do you buy them from somewhere?

Well yeah, those are basically the three things I'm mostly concerned about. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you feel that you are not sure how to work with latex and everything, then I would suggest you buy the parts that you need. There are members here who makes awesome masks and bios and also skins and armor, just look in the buy/sell thread and see who makes what. If you also not sure how to paint etc. then some of them also paints the parts if you ask. Some also sell their full suits so keep an eye on that section. You will off course need a big wallet for this, but maybe this is not a problem for you. If it is a problem then you will most likely have to scratch build alot of stuff. There are a few huntorials here and there with cheaper ways of doing things, and it also comes out really good. It all depends on how you want things. You can also read up on how to do a duct tape dummy.

And read, read up on EVERYTHING! Just take some time and read through the stickied threads that is located high up on every section.

Hopefully you found this helpful, and of course: Welcome to the lair.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I really appreciate it

But yeah, I would like to build/make what I can strictly because I know that'd be cheaper then buying all the different pieces that look really good. I'm sure I could do the skin. Like I said, I've never used latex before, but from what I saw in the tutorial, it looks like something I could do. I just wanted to know if my understanding of the Mr. Incredible method was accurate.

Now as far as the creature mask and the bio helmet...that I may actually need to get someone to build for me here or buy one online. Because idk if I'd be able to make it on my own from scratch.

as coollekotten said i would buy the mask and bio from the members buy and sale threads. or you could try doing a pepakura file based bio which is preety tough. having to fold and cut and paste together then fiberglass it and bondo it which takes quite some time. as for the skin cheapest way to do a good one would be the MR I suit method hands down in my opinion. as for the rest of the costume i would go with making it yourself. the armor i have built was out of fun foamies from micheals a craft store and gauntlets and gun can be made out of foamies and cardboard just a easy. dreads i would honestly buy as well since i have had the pleasure of building them out of backer rod and plasti sip/latex and it was the biggest pain in the butt to me. plus materials almost cost me as much as a decent pair of dreads would cost. if you have any questions just give me a pm and ill see if theres anything else i can think of to help ya out. gramzy

Hello,

A newbie here too. I did buy an swesome mask from a seller here. There was excellent communication so seek one out and things will get rolling pdq. As for the armor, I'm building an AVP Predator. Think about using a plastic called Sintra. It's easy to work with when you research the templates in the forum. You can use a good hair dryer to mold and bend the plastic then spray it to give it that cool abused metal look. If the AVP is what you wanna build the armor is quite a bit of it. Ask questions, but take the time to read through the forum the answer are in there.

Paul

Welcome. I'm a newbie, less than a month. As with any project any costume can seem overwhelming, just do small parts and build your way up. I started buying supplies to work on mine and just started my helmet last week.

There are a lot of very good ideas and resources on this site, you just gotta figure out what works for you. Here is a good thread to check:

http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?sh...mp;#entry241268

Gigi nailed it spot on. You have to start off small with your projects, then build up from there. An as you do so your experiance will grow an grow. Please Im begging you dont let it get you down either. My first outfit for Akisha looked... well.. uhm.. yeah questionable.. Now Im onto my third. You WILL get better, an things WILL look better. Just take your time an dont rush it. Try an try an try an TRY again.

Thank you so much guys. I can't express how much I appreciate your guys' support.

I will definetly work on this as time goes on and hopefully within a year I'll have my Pred suit finished. We'll see how things go and I'll definetly be in touch

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back