First Prop Build. The Holy Grail!

Re: First Prop Build. The Holy Grail! Progress pics.

Finally some pics.
First, is the 3 cups in which I completed the stems. On the far left cup I dug into the stem a little to deep so I'll have to fill it in with wood filler.
grail3.jpg

Second is a photo of the first completed cup. I still have to carve out the inner bowl but that'll wait.
grail4.jpg

What do you guys think? All of the imperfections will be fixed with wood filler.
Thanks for reading.

Thanks for the support Idaho Jones,

Once I get all of the lathe work done for the 6 cups, I'll then use a bondo-like filler made for wood to remove the wood grain and fix any details I couldn't get with the lathe. Next, I'll paint it with a terracotta colored primer that I found and then gold leaf the cups. After that I'll weather the cups and put them up in the junkyard.

Finally got some progress. Between high school, college, and work; I haven't had a lot of time to work on these.
Anyway, here is a picture of the status of all 6 of the cups. I still have a cup and a half to go to finish the exteriors.

grails.jpg

Digging out the inside of the bowls is going to be difficult, but I think I'm going to find a large drill bit and drill out the centers to get rid of some of the top heaviness. Then I'll finish shaping them on the lathe.
What do you think so far?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back