First kit advice

rescue542

For my first prop builds I’ve decided to listen to those more experienced and start off with a kit. This morning I purchased the pistol, EE-3 and repainted Boba Fett helmet from Woodtech Armory. They are all 3D printed parts and I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube about how to finish props like this. However I did have a few questions. In everyone’s experience is it better to sand, assemble, paint or assemble, sand, paint; or sand, paint then assemble? I would think that sanding should come first to get everything smoothed and filled. But looking for more expert suggestions. Thank you and pics will come as the build moves on.

You are probably better off sanding individual parts separately. It will be easier to sand an entire part. Once you start assembly there will be areas you won't be able to reach. Don't just sand but fill with putty as needed and prime. You will repeat this process a number of times. When each part looks good, then start assembly.

^ That. You'll want to do some sanding after assembly, too, to get a nice smooth finish for painting.
Personally, I do as much assembly as possible before I paint, but there will usually be pieces that need to be painted first. Modeling got me into that habit, because polystyrene cement doesn't work on painted surfaces, and it was always important to me to have a good solid model. I hate when little pieces wiggle loose or fall off.

You are probably better off sanding individual parts separately. It will be easier to sand an entire part. Once you start assembly there will be areas you won't be able to reach. Don't just sand but fill with putty as needed and prime. You will repeat this process a number of times. When each part looks good, then start assembly.
Thank you!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back