First build, first saber and first post

dlambert

First, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Douglas, I'm a video editor from Brazil, and this is my first post here. I got to know the forum through Tested.com and decide to star my path in the build community buy making my own lightsaber.

Since I don't own many tools and live in a small apartment, I bought most of the hilt at the Custom Saber Shop, using their Modular Hilt system. My idea was to get it close to Luke's saber from ROTJ, even thought their parts are far from screen accurate. I still need to buy the electronics for the inner parts (crystal chamber and all the rest), but I would like your help to star weathering the outside.

I searched the forum but couldn't find much regarding weathering for sabers. Can anyone show me a good starting point?

I'm very happy in being part of the community and looking forward for future builds.

Kind Regars

Douglas

PS.: Here is a interview I did with Timothy Zahn when he came to Brazil in December. "Heir of the Empire" was release just now over here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjVmNgGxnzM)

I have weathered a few sabers using spray paint and rags. Usually I use flat black but for adding a rust look, I'll alternate the black paint with coats of some dark brown or reddish brown spray paint. Basically you spray the paint on, wait 5 to 10 seconds and then wipe it off with a rag. On a tubular shape like a saber, I'll put the rag on it, clasp my hand around the rag and apply pressure so I'm, now gripping the saber normally, then I'll twist my hand around the hilt.

Even when using the same color and shine/dull level of paint, the name brand of the spray paint will make a difference as to how the weathering will look. The texture of the rag used will also make a difference so some experimentation on scrap pieces is recommended. Here's some pics of sabers I have weathered. I used different techniques on some of them to achieve different looks. On that last one, I did not wipe the paint off. I just sanded it a little as well as all the edges for a "well maintained but has some age to it" look.

Before:

Saber24-Unweathered-01.jpg~original

After:

Saber24-01.jpg~original

Vindicator_Remodel-01.jpg~original

Sith_Assassin-01.jpg

Last edited:
Hey I'm new here too, but I've done a few sabers already. One thing I do to weather mine is I take 400 grit sand paper and quick drying flat black spray paint. I personally prefer rustoleum brand. I just tape up what ever parts I don't want weathered and then hold the spray can back and lightly mist it. I let it dry for about ten seconds so it starts to get a little tacky and then sand it. This is the end result. DSCF1092.JPG Also this link may be of use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJQ9To_mNM

Thanks. For most of the really weathered saber, I used an arc welder (stick welder) on the brass shroud which melted through it to make the holes and used a rotary tool with a ball shaped bit that is probably for engraving, to do the aluminum seen through the holes in the brass. Regular looking dents and dings were from me striking the saber against 90 degree metal edges (such as parts of the vise on my mill).

This is my first attempt in weathering my hilt.

IMG_20151014_184232622.jpg

I tried to use Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black to give a black coat to the grenade, but it keeps getting off. Just a gentle touch and my hand is all dirt with a very fine black powder. Not what I was looking for, but I liked the way it "grayed" the aluminum. I think I'll give a generous pass in all pieces and rub the black of just for the gray look.

The grenade i'll probably have to pray with a matte black of some sort. Still trying out some options before painting.

Ah! And I used a wire brush to give some texture to the aluminum before oxidizing it...

Anyway. It took me some time to start working on the hilt, but there it is. It's still missing all of the electronics inside, but I very please with how it looks.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I´ll try to update my build more often.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back