First Build: Dragon Age II Fem!Hawke

VrisKCa

Hello, friends :D
My name is KC and I've been interested in prop and costume making since I was very young, but I never really had the resources or time to follow that path.
I'm finally going to be able to have time this summer! I'm planning to make the armor of Hawke from Dragon Age II. I'll probably have a lot of questions along the way, so I'll also post them here. Finally, this will also be my build log! Expect pictures and maybe a few videos in the future of progress. Thanks for reading!

so here are some character references.
iu
m%2Fuploads%2Foriginal%2F2%2F25628%2F1741959-hawke.jpg
Starting the initial sketches to understand the makeup of the outfit...

Attachments

• m%2Fuploads%2Foriginal%2F2%2F25628%2F1741959-hawke.jpg
    m%2Fuploads%2Foriginal%2F2%2F25628%2F1741959-hawke.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,489
Last edited:
ah, here we go. question-
I'm going to make the armor plates out of EVA foam, but I'm having trouble deciding whether to use Plastidip or Smooth-on's Epsilon to seal the foam before painting. What are the pros and cons of each? Epsilon will be harder to obtain for me and seems more expensive, but if it's worth it, I'm willing to go for it.

I used the Rustoleum equivilent (I forgot the name, sorry) to Plastidip for a couple foam pieces for my Titanfall costume last year. Worked really well and didn't have any paint chipping or drying issues and the parts were still flexible and looked nice with metallic paint over top.

I used the Rustoleum equivilent (I forgot the name, sorry) to Plastidip for a couple foam pieces for my Titanfall costume last year. Worked really well and didn't have any paint chipping or drying issues and the parts were still flexible and looked nice with metallic paint over top.
Oh, is it the Rustoleum Flexidip? It looks pretty good at $60 for a whole gallon of sprayable. I was wondering if it's better to buy the ready-to spray coating, or if I should buy the regular gallon and thin it myself, as you get more dip that way. Also, how many coats would it take with this brand?

Yes, the flexidip :) If it's your first go with this stuff, try the sprayable. If your experienced, then have at thinning it :) I did two layers (I think), no issues and dried at a decent pace in 65f degree weather.

It's finally summer vacation! I've started modeling the arm plates in blender so I can visualize them better, before actually cutting out templates. Ugh, I haven't 3D modeled in forever. It's going to be hell trying to get this to scale. Maybe I can unfold it and make some type of pepakura when I'm done....

anyway, I'm using corrugated plastic sheets covered with bondo for the smaller arm and leg plates, and EVA foam [covered with flexidip] for the chest guard and larger parts I can wrap around, like shinguards. Craft foam will be placed on a glove to make the claw-gauntlet.

ohgod, I need help. again. I'm trying to pattern out the jacket that goes under the armor, but I'm really, really bad at it.
Im trying to make like a vest with a fold over velcro closure and tails. like this.
hawke shirt sketch.jpg
I I would use a piece of fabric in the front to give the illusion of closure on both sides. what's the name for this style of jacket/closure? IS THERE ANY PATTERN LIKE THIS BECAUSE IM REALLY BAD AT DRAFTING. thank you. u_u

well, I'm still having issues with the coat, but I'm making progress on the armor!
Here's my simple draft for the shoulder-piece in blender and pepakura.
hawke armor pepakura 01.jpg
....wow, summer went by fast.

ohgod, I need help. again. I'm trying to pattern out the jacket that goes under the armor, but I'm really, really bad at it.
Im trying to make like a vest with a fold over velcro closure and tails. like this.
View attachment 508411
I I would use a piece of fabric in the front to give the illusion of closure on both sides. what's the name for this style of jacket/closure? IS THERE ANY PATTERN LIKE THIS BECAUSE IM REALLY BAD AT DRAFTING. thank you. u_u

Hey! Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same problem with the vest/thingy like you.
Thank you !
- Akureyri

Not OP, but I'm currently making FemHawke, for mine, I'm pretty much just making a sleeveless shirt that zips in the back with an invisible zipper. Just using a plain black tshirt as a base for the pattern, and then making the butt cape a seperate piece and sewing them together.

View attachment 508411

I apologize intensely for resurrecting your thread from the dead, but I'm about to write up an intensive breakdown on my Mage Hawke costume for my own thread, including all the layers, fabrics, and techniques used! Maybe I can be of assistance? It would be a lot to write up here and I wouldn't want to completely hijack your thread!! I'm happy to help!

i apologize intensely for resurrecting your thread from the dead, but i'm about to write up an intensive breakdown on my mage hawke costume for my own thread, including all the layers, fabrics, and techniques used! Maybe i can be of assistance? It would be a lot to write up here and i wouldn't want to completely hijack your thread!! I'm happy to help!

oh my god yes please. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back