Firefly - Trash

SurferGeek

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Watched this episode again and the identity of this pistol is bugging me. I'm sure I've seen it, or at least some flavor of it before. Any ideas?

Firefly_1x11_Trash_544.jpg

Firefly_1x11_Trash_564.jpg

Firefly_1x11_Trash_641.jpg

The grip is from one of those Italian ray gun toys fromt he 70s, or 80s. The body looks like one of those flashlights that plug into the wall, they made one with a box like body, and a adjustable lamp housing. I believe it also had a handle, but that is easy to remove. If I am right than all parts are from the late 70s, through the 80s, maybe to the early 90s.

David.

The grip does look a bit like edison giocattoli's stuff (the italian ray guns - they STILL make em) but I am not sure it is that. Maybe as a base.

The rest of it looks SERIOUSLY kit bashed.

Njc-------------------

Cool. I should have guessed they'd of had more than one model of this kind of thing.

This is what I thought it might be based on, but that link posted is dead nuts. I will have to keep an eye on ebay.

mexlewis.jpg

I think they make some of the coolest toy guns around., :D

Njc-----------------

Originally posted by Krel@Feb 24 2006, 09:36 PM
The body looks like one of those flashlights that plug into the wall, they made one with a box like body, and a adjustable lamp housing.  I believe it also had a handle, but that is easy to remove.
[snapback]1192899[/snapback]​

Yep the body is definitely an old rechargable flashlight, we used to have one just like it, I think I might even still have it, if I can find it I will post pics. I imagine the handle was probably left on, but is covered with greeblies and such.

If I can find that flashlight then I might seriously concider building this prop myself, so if anyone has any ideas for the other greeblies or has done any planning for construction that would be awesome.

Not to get off topic, but Trash has some other pretty cool looking props too, like the devices Saphron uses to get into the building. Anyone thinking of doing other props from that episode?

well if you find that half ive got the grip half, lol. I too would like to build up one of these.

LOL, yes together we could build one and have it on time share or something. ;)

Any chance you plan on casting the grip? Or perhaps giving it to someone for casting after it's been modified as the one in the show was? Would it be worth doing that?

well the line across the top of it would need a bit of modification...the grip does come apart from the toy gun, but it needs a part cut off and the line looks different across the top. I suppose i could give it to someone to cast...or i could just try making one :p I dunno, like i said you can get one at that link for like $14.

Originally posted by dr_slurpee@Feb 27 2006, 06:56 PM
LOL, yes together we could build one and have it on time share or something. ;)

Any chance you plan on casting the grip? Or perhaps giving it to someone for casting after it's been modified as the one in the show was? Would it be worth doing that?
[snapback]1194904[/snapback]​

I was thinking that perhaps if one person made the modifications to the grip that are needed for the prop then resin casts would be great for others to use. There are a few things you can see that need to be changed on the grip, it'd probably be about the same to buy a resin cast as the real toy and would save people a TON of work I think.

well why would we do resin cats of just the grip, id think people would want the whole thing ^^; i dont know im confused. Lets find out what that top pat is first, then decide what to do with the parts :p I dont really want to ruin the grip ive got because the gun its on is pretty cool, but if i cna get all the parts or someone can cast the grip as it is THEN modify it id be cool with that.

Been watching this with a lot of interest. Just a quick bump for it.
Thanks for the link to the gun grip Kylash.
Here's the picture lightened up a bit, appeared very dark up top, could be my screen settings though :lol
Firefly_1x11_Trash_544.jpg

Originally posted by Kylash327@Feb 27 2006, 04:00 PM
well why would we do resin cats of just the grip, id think people would want the whole thing ^^; i dont know im confused. Lets find out what that top pat is first, then decide what to do with the parts :p I dont really want to ruin the grip ive got because the gun its on is pretty cool, but if i cna get all the parts or someone can cast the grip as it is THEN modify it id be cool with that.
[snapback]1195014[/snapback]​

I am pretty sure the grip is the only part really needed from that gun, that's why I thought casting the grip would be a good idea. It probably would be a good idea to cast the grip then do the modifications. Ruining the gun just for the grips would kinda suck.

Here's why I think only the grip was used. I found my flashlight, and it almost looks like an artifact from the earth that was, lol. I just added on my sterling grips cause they were handy (and I don't have the right ones). I tried to copy a couple of the angles seen in the grabs. The flashlight is the right one for sure.

flashlight_1.jpg

flashlight_2.jpg

flashlight_3.jpg

Progressing nicely. What make/model of flashlight is that Dr Slurpee? With the two main parts identified it's down to a few greeblies. Cool.

well right, if we could get castings of the flashlight and the grip then were in town :D thats definetly it. Any brand name or model number on that?

I'd be happy to lend my flashlight out for casting if someone has the desire to cast it, so long as it doesn't get ruined. :)

On the bottom there is a sticker that is partly worn off but what is left says "___________-LITE TM RECHARGABLE LIGHT"
"__DEL NO. RL100-A, 4VDC, 120VAC, 60Hz, .05AMP"
then some caution stuff.

I obviously the "__DEL" part would have been "MODEL"

I think I remember my Grandmother having the same light we would have wound up with it after she died assuming it wasn't tossed out or sold in a yard sale. So I will have to look for it.

man that thing has got to be big...if you look at it the flashlight is rtelaly only the back end of it, they added quite a bit of length to the front of it there.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back