Firefly - Trash

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by SurferGeek, Feb 23, 2006.

1. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Watched this episode again and the identity of this pistol is bugging me. I'm sure I've seen it, or at least some flavor of it before. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The grip reminds me of one produced for The Black Hole though it wasn't used.

3. Krel

Krel Sr Member

The grip is from one of those Italian ray gun toys fromt he 70s, or 80s. The body looks like one of those flashlights that plug into the wall, they made one with a box like body, and a adjustable lamp housing. I believe it also had a handle, but that is easy to remove. If I am right than all parts are from the late 70s, through the 80s, maybe to the early 90s.

David.

4. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

The grip does look a bit like edison giocattoli's stuff (the italian ray guns - they STILL make em) but I am not sure it is that. Maybe as a base.

The rest of it looks SERIOUSLY kit bashed.

Njc-------------------

5. Kylash

Kylash Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Cool. I should have guessed they'd of had more than one model of this kind of thing.

This is what I thought it might be based on, but that link posted is dead nuts. I will have to keep an eye on ebay.

[​IMG]

I think they make some of the coolest toy guns around., :D

Njc-----------------

7. Kylash

you can buy it from the link i posted, thats where i got mine.

8. dr_slurpee

dr_slurpee Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep the body is definitely an old rechargable flashlight, we used to have one just like it, I think I might even still have it, if I can find it I will post pics. I imagine the handle was probably left on, but is covered with greeblies and such.

If I can find that flashlight then I might seriously concider building this prop myself, so if anyone has any ideas for the other greeblies or has done any planning for construction that would be awesome.

Not to get off topic, but Trash has some other pretty cool looking props too, like the devices Saphron uses to get into the building. Anyone thinking of doing other props from that episode?

9. Kylash

well if you find that half ive got the grip half, lol. I too would like to build up one of these.

10. dr_slurpee

LOL, yes together we could build one and have it on time share or something. ;)

Any chance you plan on casting the grip? Or perhaps giving it to someone for casting after it's been modified as the one in the show was? Would it be worth doing that?

11. Kylash

well the line across the top of it would need a bit of modification...the grip does come apart from the toy gun, but it needs a part cut off and the line looks different across the top. I suppose i could give it to someone to cast...or i could just try making one :p I dunno, like i said you can get one at that link for like $14.

12. dr_slurpee

I was thinking that perhaps if one person made the modifications to the grip that are needed for the prop then resin casts would be great for others to use. There are a few things you can see that need to be changed on the grip, it'd probably be about the same to buy a resin cast as the real toy and would save people a TON of work I think.

13. Kylash

well why would we do resin cats of just the grip, id think people would want the whole thing ^^; i dont know im confused. Lets find out what that top pat is first, then decide what to do with the parts :p I dont really want to ruin the grip ive got because the gun its on is pretty cool, but if i cna get all the parts or someone can cast the grip as it is THEN modify it id be cool with that.

14. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Been watching this with a lot of interest. Just a quick bump for it.
    Thanks for the link to the gun grip Kylash.
    Here's the picture lightened up a bit, appeared very dark up top, could be my screen settings though :lol
    [​IMG]

15. dr_slurpee

I am pretty sure the grip is the only part really needed from that gun, that's why I thought casting the grip would be a good idea. It probably would be a good idea to cast the grip then do the modifications. Ruining the gun just for the grips would kinda suck.

Here's why I think only the grip was used. I found my flashlight, and it almost looks like an artifact from the earth that was, lol. I just added on my sterling grips cause they were handy (and I don't have the right ones). I tried to copy a couple of the angles seen in the grabs. The flashlight is the right one for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Progressing nicely. What make/model of flashlight is that Dr Slurpee? With the two main parts identified it's down to a few greeblies. Cool.

17. Kylash

well right, if we could get castings of the flashlight and the grip then were in town :D thats definetly it. Any brand name or model number on that?

18. dr_slurpee

I'd be happy to lend my flashlight out for casting if someone has the desire to cast it, so long as it doesn't get ruined. :)

On the bottom there is a sticker that is partly worn off but what is left says "___________-LITE TM RECHARGABLE LIGHT"
    "__DEL NO. RL100-A, 4VDC, 120VAC, 60Hz, .05AMP"
    then some caution stuff.

I obviously the "__DEL" part would have been "MODEL"

I think I remember my Grandmother having the same light we would have wound up with it after she died assuming it wasn't tossed out or sold in a yard sale. So I will have to look for it.

19. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Can anyone ID Saffron's pistol from Trash:

20. Kylash

man that thing has got to be big...if you look at it the flashlight is rtelaly only the back end of it, they added quite a bit of length to the front of it there.

21. dr_slurpee

I am a dizzy cow...I never thought to look at the french (I'm in Canada afterall) on the label to help identify it. The french had "First Alert" and with that info and the model number I was able to discover that it is the Frist Alert Ready-Lite Model RL100-A.

22. Kylash

and *, Birdie has the bid on the only one on ebay :p

Btw, here's a pic of the grip as it comes apart from the pistol..

[​IMG]

23. dr_slurpee

Looks good Kylash, I guess it's hard to sort out what modifications need to be done to the handle without the flashlight. If they are hard to come by (there being only one on ebay and all) then I guess looking into casting the flashlight would be a good idea. It'd need to be a hollow cast I assume since it's so big, otherwise it'd be a bloody lot of resin, and heavy. I wonder how many people would be interested in making this prop? I know I'd be in on a resin cast of a modified grip.

24. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys can have the pistols... can anyone help me with Christina Hendricks?

Excellent sleuthing as always folks... I hope those of you who go after them really enjoy the pieces. Heavy cool factor here.

25. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Me too on the grips.

26. dr_slurpee

Birdie from the looks of it while watching the episode Saffron's gun seems to be a Beretta of some sort. Perhaps a Cougar or a Cheetah. The Cougar seems closest asyou can see the mag release button in front of her thumb, the slide mounted safety at the back and the slide itself seems the same, though the slide release lever is different, more like a the one on a Cheetah. Perhaps a new thread for it is necessary? Gun experts might be able to help out.

27. dr_slurpee

*bump*

Anyone else find a flashlight? Anyone else going to make one of these?

28. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Been trying to find the torch, but had no luck unfortunately. Really want to make one of these though, so I'm ging to keep searching. Or hoping that someone will makes casts of the parts we know

29. dr_slurpee

I spoke with another forum member about casting the flashlight but they seemed to think it would make more sense to wait until the full build up was complete to offer casts at that point. If I can do a decent build up would people want cast of it? This is not an interest thread though...lets research this and plan out some of the parts. I can give you guys dimensions of the flashlight if anyone wants to work on figuring out some of the details that need to be added.

30. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

LOL, I can't believe it took me this long to stumble on this thread. I would like to do one of these guns too. Though, I would just like to know what the other greablies are, and I don't really need a casting of much of it.

That flash light is a hoot. My family went through a couple of them, and so did my Grandma. They never worked very well, the rechargeable battery sucked. :lol I see them all the time at yard sales, flee markets, and thrift stores.

I don't know if it was that specific model of First Alert, but those are the kind of flashlights they used one Star Trek TNG. The took the head off of it, hooked wires up to it, and when the actors held the head, the wires would run down there sleeves to a power source :)

Jason

31. dr_slurpee

Heh heh, that's cool that they used a similar one in TNG, and I think I remember the episode you are talking about.

If you see any of the flashlights around you should maybe snap them up for people here, if you're willing to that is.

32. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Yeah there's a book that tells how they made the prop for TNG, and they say it was used in 2 or 3 episodes, but I only remember it in the one where Geordy become that dark creature, with Blue Glowing vain things, all over him.

As for the flashlight, I would be happy to pick some up for everyone. I mean, it's not like going over to Meijers and picking up as many as I would like. I do have to wait 'till I come across some. Some times I'll see 2 or 3 in a month, and other times it could be a year before I see one. I'll take down the info, and see if I can find some of the model.

They made them for years in that style though, so there my be other models that look the same, just with a different color, or battery type in side.

Jason

33. Mr_Sparkle

Mr_Sparkle Well-Known Member

Just in case anyone wants to see it here is a scan of the label off the bottom of one of those flashlights...

[​IMG]

Chris

34. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

Did Birdie get his yet?

Anyone make any progress?

Jason - I'm certainly up for one if you come across it.

David

35. Birdie

Birdie Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got mine, still gotta pick up the gun with the grip.

36. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Unfortunately it's still a month or two away from Yard/garage sale season here in Ohio, and I haven't had any luck at the thrift stores lately, but I haven't forgotten about this. It's on my list, and I've asked all my friends and family to add it to theirs (that's a shopping army. :lol ) I plan to get as many as I can. That way I'll have plenty to go around, and if I wind up with a few extra, I can always resell them. :)

Jason